Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-29-2010
WanderBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick LaBreck View Post
Pete,
What is the line between the two suction cups on the windows for ?
I'm guess that since he has removed the walls, he also had to remove the inner frames on the windows. The inner frames are what hold the windows in - sandwiching the wall between the inner and outer frames to keep the windows in place. So, the suction cups and the line between them is to keep the windows from falling out.
Marietta, GA
Old 10-29-2010

I am doing the woodwork in the bedroom in maple and birch. The finish I am using is spar varnish which is oil based varnish. I like the results because it gives an amber tinge to the woodwork. I sprayed the first coat but am not really happy with the results, or the overspray. I think that I will use an applicator pad for the next coats.
The suction cups are to keep the windows in. I removed the compression rings. I ended up making a couple of small brackets that will hold the window in but the suction cups are there until I reinstalll the rings. The windows also have two sided tape between the outer flange and the outside of the bus, but I added the suction cups as I would rather be safe than sorry. Those windows were not cheap.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 10-29-2010

Peter,

Great project and very inspiring. Thanks for the pictures. It is very very helpful to those of us that may consider a major remeodel in the future.

Sincerely,
Old 10-30-2010

Default back wall

Back wall is in, the mirrired doors are hung. I finished the painting and got the windows back together (with the birch frames). I had to put the compression frames in as it is raining and the windows were letting water in. Next is to continue framing in the headboard area. I think that I have figured out how to do it. I bought a staining pad last night to finish the spar varnish. It is like the pads they sell to refinish a hardwood floor only smaller. They are sold to apply paint and stain. It did an excellect job of applying the varnish. Better than spraying I would say. Totally professional results and very easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1105.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	7053   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1106.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	7054   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1107.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	7055   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1108.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	7056   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1109.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	7057  
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 10-31-2010
cap'nron

Oh my Goonneesss,
Mr. Haggins.....you are an ambitious creature !!
I think that would be an intimidating and a daunting task, but you have just ripped right into it and it is coming around fine .
Good for you brother !
One day when I get me a bird, I can only hope that it has been cared for like that.
Old 10-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri View Post
Back wall is in, the mirrired doors are hung. I finished the painting and got the windows back together (with the birch frames). I had to put the compression frames in as it is raining and the windows were letting water in. Next is to continue framing in the headboard area. I think that I have figured out how to do it. I bought a staining pad last night to finish the spar varnish. It is like the pads they sell to refinish a hardwood floor only smaller. They are sold to apply paint and stain. It did an excellect job of applying the varnish. Better than spraying I would say. Totally professional results and very easy.
Wow I wish I had the guts to do that!
Old 11-04-2010

Peter,

While you're in there, make sure the hinges on the mirrored doors have a strong purchase into the wood framing. Also, try to ensure the latches grab and hold them securely. If you have to stop fast, the inertia of those mirrored doors really does a number on that stuff.

Looks great, btw!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 11-04-2010

John
Very good point about the mirrored doors. I have used the same hardware that was on the original. The doors are also reused from the original and they are heavy.

I have been slowly working on the bedrom. This is a design build project. You have to complete a step in order to figure out what the next step is going to be. The windows are big and realitively close to the headboard. I was hoping to make the closets on either side of the bed at a 45 degree angle but the windows will not allow that. I have made the recess walls and installed them. I built two cubby shelves that will hold little stuff by your head, books, watch etc . I covered them wil the same kind of stuff that BB used in all the cupboards, only mine is blue rather than grey. I removed the original mounting board from around the fuse panel and had to rewire a couple of circuits in order to get the wires removed from entering the box from the sides. This will allow the panel to be mounted in the drivers side closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1110.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	7103   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1111.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	7104   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1112.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	7105   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1113.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	7106   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1114.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	7107   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1115.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	7108   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1116.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	7109  
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 11-04-2010

Default 'Bird Projects & Modifications > bedroom remodel

Peter, you are an artist!
Old 11-04-2010
Senior

Peter nice job. I have used spar varnish before but now have changed to semi gloss or egg shell poly put on with a sponge brush. The trick is to sand each coat smooth with at least 120 open grit, then go over it carefully with a tack rag. Thin multiple coats gives a very rich finish well worth the slow extra work. Good luck
6V92