Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-17-2010
Forum owner

all jokes aside,no matter whats used,the sand,water and who knows what else is going to get in the slides.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-17-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
thanks Rob!
Now i will never be able to sell those battery trays!hahahahhahaa!
Maybe they can be retrofitted with rollers that don't seize up. Failing that there is always their value in scrap.
Old 11-17-2010
Forum Moderator

Seriously the bottom tray in the PT battery compartment has been a pain for many. The top tray seems to fair better but could probably benefit from any improvements as well. The bearings get clogged up with road debris so I'd like to ask the membership for their recommendations to replace the bearings. Is there a bearing system out there that can handle the road grit and salt. A solution to this problem would benefit a great many BB owners.
Old 11-17-2010

I listened to you guys about AGMs, and bought some used 2 yrs old computer agm batteries for my BB ( 4 testing). Just got the 4-110 ah house batteries today. Part of the reason I went with AGMs was that they would not need watering. So no slides would be needed and they are smaller. They never freeze. The advantage of higher charge rates (less Genny time) and recombination of gasses. They last longer than watered ones and they don't spill and can be mounted in any position. When they get older they will not have the tendency to short and when ridden rough they are more sturdy. The reason I went with used was budget and trial and error testing. If I kill them I didn't put allot into them.
440 AH for inverter power and 440 ah for 12v house power 5/kWh each, the over sizing will also make them last longer than they should. The inverter battery pack will just fit under the curb twin under the small drawer in back of the electric heater... snug... The other will fit in the charger box...
Since they are sealed I can put them in the warmer areas of the coach if needed... to get more out of them...
Including shipping I paid about the same as I would have for golf cart batteries...

Last edited by Christian; 11-18-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2010

Gardner, I was checking out Randy's battery trays for my own add-on project, I think for me anyway they would be the way to go, easier to modify an existing product then work form scratch.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-19-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

I have been thinking about adding some batteries too and thinking about where. I have no compartment space to give up and wonder if I could fabricate a tray in the generator compartment for at least two?

Now here is a little thinking outside the box (actually in a box)

Also wondering if the obsolete overhead condenser box could be modified (or replaced with a look alike to hold batteries? Has anybody ever done either? Is this a bad idea?

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 11-19-2010
Gardner

I thought about that. The problem with the roof mount would be the acid washing down on the paint. A nice stainless box could be constructed, but it would need a vent, and the fumes will deposit acedic residue, so without constant care it would collect and eventually ruin the paint. I think? Plus, I don't know if the roof structure up front would handle the weight and inertia during a hard stop. You might need to reinforce it some way.

Something I had thought about was extending the front bumper out and placing the batteries behind it. It might be tougher to do than say. You still need the swing bumper and space to swing the radiator. Just a thought.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-19-2010

I wouldn't put them in front due to safety issues in an accident. Not the rear either. Sealed batteries on top would be a possiblity as long as you are not planning on getting on your head. Could put them in the pod. No matter where batteries are they or their cables could get shorted out in a bad enough accident. Plan for the worst case scenario, hope for the best.

-Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 11-19-2010

Default Adding batterys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
I have been thinking about adding some batteries too and thinking about where. I have no compartment space to give up and wonder if I could fabricate a tray in the generator compartment for at least two?

Now here is a little thinking outside the box (actually in a box)

Also wondering if the obsolete overhead condenser box could be modified (or replaced with a look alike to hold batteries? Has anybody ever done either? Is this a bad idea?

NH Bill

FWIW-- On my 73FC I added a battery tray under the 2nd entrance step. While underneath on a creeper one day, I noticed the large amount of unused space under there. Didn't take long to figure out how to construct a tray. Take the wooden part of the step out & cut an access hole in the steel plate, & presto---room for 4 GC batterys. Worked for me.
W Peoria, Illinois
Old 11-19-2010

Just a little FYI. Not sure what battery prices are in your area but locally the price of 6 volt golf cart batteries has jumped since I last priced them. (OK, it has been a while) I used to pay $80 each for them and now they are $140 for the Trojan 105s. I just bought 3 new Deka 4D AGMs for $340 each. I think that is very competative when you factor in you need 2 golf cart batteries for the equivalent power of the 4D. The thing I like about the AGMs is no outgassing/leakage or checking water levels. That means no rust or corrosion in my battery box after 13 years of use.

Just a thought......
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad