Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Places to Visit

Places to Visit Talk about your travels. Let others know of great places they should visit? Let us know where it is and what's great about it.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2011

Default Places to go in Florida, parking near a beach?

So I am heading down to Florida, leaving March 11th with the kids, and I plan on heading to a beach for a few days. Any recomendations of a spot where I could park with the towable RV for a few days, near or on the water? Right now I am thinking about going to Miami, but I am open for suggestions if there is an ideal spot somewhere else in Florida.

This is my little rig for now, until my Bird is ready.

Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 02-23-2011

Try Juno Ocean Walk RV park in Juno Beach, FL. Only 1 block back from the beach and you can walk there easily. It's at the north end of Palm Beach County and about an hour from Miami. Great location near a Publix, pharmacy, restaurants and a bank or two. No need to ever get in the car. 561-622-7500.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 02-23-2011

Thanks, I'll check that out
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 02-23-2011

You should also check out Ft. Desoto park in the south part of the Tampa Bay/Clearwater peninsula. It is a county park, with many sites right on the water. Don't remember the fees but they are reasonable due to it being a public facility.

They are often full, but hold back a certain number of sites for "walk-ups" on Friday morning for weekend campers. There are usually open sites during the weekdays. The trick to getting a "walk-up" site is to either already be in the campground, or park right outside the gate around 6 am on Friday morning. People start lining up in front of the ranger office after that and they hand out the walk-up sites on a first-in-line basis. It is usually possible to get a site during the week and then "re-up" on Friday morning to that one or another site. And, many of the walk-up sites are right on the water.

But check their online reservation system first, as you might be able to reserve one in advance for the entire time period you want. Look at the site map carefully, as one area allows pets and the other does not. There's also a dog beach nearby where you can let your dogs run on the beach without their leashes if you are brave enough for that.

NH Bill was there this past weekend, and has stayed there before also.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 02-23-2011

Shane is right... Mac and I lived there for 18 months and now we go back every December... when you get there most of the snowbirds will be gone...
"Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Old 02-23-2011

You might also take a look at Nettles Island. Also a block from the beach with pools also. About half way between Nettles and Juno is a state park called Jonathan Dickinson State Park. Not as close to the beach but still only a short distance. It's at the lower end of Martin County on route 1.
Old 02-23-2011

I'm a west coast fan, mainly due to the lesser density. This is always a plus with a big rig. There are something like 150 Florida State Parks, check this website out for help in planning. http://www.floridastateparks.org/

There are, of course, a large number of private campgrounds too. Cracker Barrels and Walmarts are pretty much all happy to accommodate overnighting. I might suggest you come down 19 right along the west coast. Check out Crystal River, the mermaids at Weeki Wachee SP, Palm Harbor has great campgrounds with a tremendous biking network. Ft Desoto is great as is Hillsborough SP (Not right on water, but cool)! Venice, Sarasota, Ft Meyers (Edison's museum), how long did you say you were here?

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 02-23-2011

Oh, forgot to mention Hommosasa SP. A fantastic natural animal park and Manatee rescue. A neat boat ride into the park starts your journey then take the walking trail back after spending half a day in the animal park.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 02-23-2011
Skidder

Default Places to Visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam express View Post
Oh, forgot to mention Hommosasa SP. A fantastic natural animal park and Manatee rescue. A neat boat ride into the park starts your journey then take the walking trail back after spending half a day in the animal park.
Ft Desoto for sure. Great place to park, with lots to do in the area.

Wannabee
Old 02-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Ft Desoto for sure. Great place to park, with lots to do in the area.

Ft Desoto look like a nice place!
Cummins ISX-650HP