Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Jacking points, need help

I am changing a transmission cooling hose on my PT38. I have been under this Bird to do an oil change but there is lots of room at this area even if the suspension is dumped. One end of my hose can be accessed without getting right under the bus. The other end is right at the transmission. I don't feel comfortable without some additional support. I have 2- 12 ton hydraulics jacks, a 20 ton air over hydraulic jack and 2 20 tons each jack stands. I cannot use the jack stands unless I lift the Bird way off the ground. The stands need about 23 inches. The hydraulic jacks are both fairly new I would feel safe if I dropped the left side HWH and used 2 of the hydraulic jacks. I really don't have to lift the Bird very much. Maybe 2-3 inches. I have wheel chocks. I really don't know where to place the jacks. There is a heavy cross member under the bell housing. About a 8 inch C channel. There is also a cross member that is part of the hitch. It is well built. I can get a jack under the trailing arm for the tag axle air bag. Any advice appreciated. I do not have any ramps! Cannot use timbers as they are almost non existent in this part of Mexico.( at least good ones) The termites would have a feast.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Sent you an email.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 1 Week Ago

This is how I do it but need to investigate this forum for more info. This is an old thread with lots of good info.
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ighlight=jacks

Lots of bus mechanics in Mexico-I understand their rates are pretty reasonable.

This is how I do it-again read and get familiar.

YOU MUST CHOCK THE FRONT WHEELS since the parking brake is only on the drive axle. Once the rear wheels are raised you are risking the bus rolling. You MUST have a known solid level surface that will support the weight of the bus on jackstands-pavement will collapse/using bare ground will drive the jack stands into the ground. Concrete that you know has been poured at a sufficient strength. (thick enough/rebar etc)

I place jack stands under the frame rail just behind the tag axle after starting the bus and allowing it to air up. This is usually enough space for me and it leaves the drive and tag axle tires still touching the ground but still is necessary to chock the front wheels. I have on occasion raised the bus further using the rear leveling jacks before placing jack stands under the frame rail. I then lower the leveling jacks until just barely touching the ground as a backup system to the jack stands. As an additional backup system I use one 20 ton air/hydraulic jack on each side under the frame rail as close to the jack stands as I can get it. Jack stands should be of equal height.
Kansas, Il
Old 1 Week Ago
"Master Of None"

dig our the center. or drive up on sand bags full of angular 3/4 rock.
a SOB with a LXi
Old 1 Week Ago

I am on a 6 inch concrete floor with rebar! Greg: Are you Mexican? That is the way they do it in Mexico! Not a good idea.

Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Popcorn anyone? hahahaaa!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago
"Master Of None"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I am on a 6 inch concrete floor with rebar! Greg: Are you Mexican? That is the way they do it in Mexico! Not a good idea.
angular aggregate rock is engineered and used by the railroad to support the tracks. Using round natural rock would blast the sides of the bags when you drive over it. Rock in sand bags is an easy way to manage it in the shop or on a jobsite and helps reduce the quantity you need. In my shop i use engineered beam cuts but they were not an option for your need.

My boyfriend is Mexican so after 32 years ;the ingenuity, ;never say cant attitude, and eating eggs with a tortilla wear off on you. However I still demand 7 classic rock hits for each Mariachi I am forced to endure.
a SOB with a LXi
Old 1 Week Ago

Greg: It is a different culture and although I try sometimes it is hard to take. Por ejemplo: When a Mexican opens a can of paint the first thing he does is thin it down in an attempt to save money. Mechanics have been under my Birds to repair the brakes. They never jack it up or place stands under it. When up on a high scaffold rarely do you see any safety belts. I have had welders do some work without a helmet. Just a piece of dark glass held with a vice grip The local car wash/ oil change has a sort of pit. There are 2 rough concrete ramps and they dug out between the ramps. I don't know where the used oil goes as we have no place to dump used oil. I have seen vehicle owners bring in a drag link to the local welder. he cuts off the tie rod end and welds on a new one. I could write a book. However they never give up and always seem to find a way to fix things that we would throw out. They still rebuild fuel pumps and water pumps. Install new diaphragms in brake canisters. BUT they are warm and friendly with a great sense of humor ( better than yours!).