Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-19-2011
Consistently clueless

Default Dead bolt door lock

I'm assuming most Wanderlodges come equiped with a dead bolt entry door lock. Has anyone ever tried one of the keyless entry replacements? There seems to be a lot of benefits to the idea, and the only drawback I can see is if the battery dies and the bolt extractor motor quits. A key override would solve this, so long as the key wasn't locked inside.

This is the lock I'm currently interested in:
http://consumer.schlage.com/Products...=BE365 CAM 619
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE365CAM619_218.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	10376  

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 05-19-2011

Donn,

I'm in the midst of installing these very same locks around my house (but the Zwave model). The are very solid and so far I have been very happy with them. I hadn't thought of installing them on the bus. The two issues you may have is the thickness of the door and there is no servo motor on the lock so you would be giving up the ability to lock/unlock the door from the drivers seat or bedroom. I still have a couple yet to install so if you want me to scan the installation instructions let me know.

Another thought, when I ordered mine I had them all keyed the same so you could install one on your house and bus and use the same key.
Herndon, VA
Old 05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn B View Post
I'm assuming most Wanderlodges come equiped with a dead bolt entry door lock. Has anyone ever tried one of the keyless entry replacements? There seems to be a lot of benefits to the idea, and the only drawback I can see is if the battery dies and the bolt extractor motor quits. A key override would solve this, so long as the key wasn't locked inside.

This is the lock I'm currently interested in:
http://consumer.schlage.com/Products...=BE365 CAM 619
Donn,

Since your '90 has an electric deadbolt it can be easily converted to remote operation. I did this on my '90 years ago when I had it. I used a simple 3 channel remote keyfob and receiver. The functions connected were; door lock/unlock, alarm set, and porch light. I also included a red LED in the curb side windshield trim so I could tell the state of the alarm from outside. It could be seen from the front through the windshield or from the rear by looking in the R/S outside mirror. Any car stereo/alarm installer can do this for you in short order if you don't want to tackle it yourself. Parts back then were about $75.00, probably $150.00 now plus a little labor.
Old 05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackerman View Post
Donn,

I'm in the midst of installing these very same locks around my house (but the Zwave model). The are very solid and so far I have been very happy with them. I hadn't thought of installing them on the bus. The two issues you may have is the thickness of the door and there is no servo motor on the lock so you would be giving up the ability to lock/unlock the door from the drivers seat or bedroom. I still have a couple yet to install so if you want me to scan the installation instructions let me know.

Another thought, when I ordered mine I had them all keyed the same so you could install one on your house and bus and use the same key.
Dan,

Let me know if you need any advice on your Z-wave install.

I have quite an extensive home automation system set up at home, including 6 locks, and over 50 controlled devices.

FYI, I don't recommend going that route on a Bird. The electrical components are too incompatible.
Linden, Michigan
Old 05-19-2011
Consistently clueless

Okay, I've just learned something new (surprise!) I was unaware that this coach had a remotely servo-controlled electric door lock. I'll have to study the switches again to see how this is operated, and then look into Rich's key fob remote idea. That would be far superior to what I was proposing.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 05-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn B View Post
Okay, I've just learned something new (surprise!) I was unaware that this coach had a remotely servo-controlled electric door lock. I'll have to study the switches again to see how this is operated, and then look into Rich's key fob remote idea. That would be far superior to what I was proposing.
Don,

Look at your dashboard switches. On the right. There will be a button for lock/unlock, and an indicator LED.

It's really not that difficult to install an automotive key fob. I can help you with the wiring. The system I installed controls the doors, the patio lights, and a few other cool functions.
Linden, Michigan
Old 05-19-2011

Robert,

Thanks for the offer of help with ZWave, other then some distance issues, so far I've got four locks installed with two more to go. It's a project I plan on implementing over the next year or so to get integrate locks, lighting and some security cameras (got to watch over the bar and beer taps now that my kids are getting older), but it's one of many projects on my list. I'll reach out to you when (not if) I get stuck on something.
Herndon, VA
Old 05-19-2011
Geek

I don't know if the Royale is different, but the standard '90 has three switches to operate the lock. One on the dash, one in the bed headboard panel, and one above the door.

I have Rich's former coach, and use the key fob all the time for locking/unlocking as we leave and return; the alarm system no longer works.

I didn't know about the porchlight function, but that doesn't work either.

The fob is this one.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-19-2011
Gardner

My big concern is getting out in case of fire. An electrically activated lock will trap you inside if the power goes out which is very likley in case of fire or accident. There needs to be a permanent manual method of openning the door, and not a key somewhere else other than in the lock ready to go. I don't use the factory electric dead bolt on in my '83 for that reason. I do have two glass-break hammers in the coach for escape as well.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-19-2011
Geek

There is a standard deadbolt lever on the inside of mine. Not on yours, Gardner?
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1