Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2017

Default jake brakes

I took a short trip this weekend and had no jake brakes. I never had an indication of anything being wrong. I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start with this issue.
Old 08-22-2017

Just to clarify, this is in the 1995 WB.
Old 08-22-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

The on/off switch would be the first thing to check.
Andy Harmon went through some of the same problems, maybe he will have some answers.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 09-10-2017

I am finally getting around to the jake brake issue. I had to replace the battery cables which were falling apart. I am wondering if the jake brakes are affected by the bad cables as other things seem to be remedied by the new cables. I haven't taken it out for a test drive for the jake brakes yet, but I did check the switch which is working. Is there anything else that I should check before doing the test drive?
Old 09-10-2017
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy dyas View Post
I am finally getting around to the jake brake issue. I had to replace the battery cables which were falling apart. I am wondering if the jake brakes are affected by the bad cables as other things seem to be remedied by the new cables. I haven't taken it out for a test drive for the jake brakes yet, but I did check the switch which is working. Is there anything else that I should check before doing the test drive?
Sandy I fought jake problems for close to 3 years. It turned out to be a faulty TPS throttle position sensor mounted down on the accelerator pedal. It was George Morris who diagnosed the problem over the phone in less than a minute. My wife hand delivered a bottle of his favourite spirit and I renamed my jake the George brake. I live in the west and whenever I see 6% or 8% grade I thank him. If your problem is TPS Randy has the answer when it comes to RR.
Old 09-10-2017

Thanks Rob. What is a good test for the TPS to check it it is working? Where is a good place to order a new one?
Old 09-10-2017

My sometimes working Jake brake problem was caused solely by the 22C relay. I cannot advise of the removal of it from the Jake control circuits, but George Morris can do it in seconds and you'll spend very little. Whatever you do, do not take it to Detroit Diesel though, they cannot diagnose BB circuit problems, you will spend a small fortune and your Jake will still not work, I speak from experience. Remove the nose panel and look at the 22A, 22B and 22C relays. If 22C is still wired into the circuit, that is likely your problem.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 09-10-2017

Do I understand correctly that this is something that I shouldn't try to do on my own? How do I contact George Morris?
Old 09-10-2017

Andy, could you explain why I shouldn't or can't replace the relay myself? I'll be leaving in 3 weeks for Florida from Canada and would hate to Drive without it.
Old 09-10-2017

BB removed the 22C relay from chassis wiring diagram 1729813 (scan 502), so it should be removed not replaced, I tried that to before having George remove it from the Jake control circuits. I do not know if it is merely disconnected or the circuit requires rewiring, so I can't advise you on the job. First thing to do is to determine if your 22C relay is wired into the control circuits. It is a simple job though, if you know what needs to be done. My Jake would work sometimes and other times it would not work. George Morris is a former BB Wanderlodge employee and lives in Byron GA, just off I-75. You can make an appointment with him and stop by on your way to FL. You can reach him at 478-235-7467.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)