Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 06-24-2018

Default overflow bottle sp

MsBianca,

I wasn't watching the forum this past spring so missed your posts in May.
Here is a picture of my coolant overflow bottle. You may not have one. They might not have been standard in 89 - 91? I think mine was added by a previous owner. So if no bottle when the pressure builds up the coolant is expelled. Maybe that's what you saw on your bumper? Add an overflow bottle like the one pictured and you can keep coolant in the system and air out.

Regarding the coolant to add- call the shop that topped off the last time and ask them what they added. There is diesel coolant with SCA (supplemental cooling additives) for diesel engines that's different from auto coolant. NAPA has a Heavy Duty Truck coolant for diesel engines that is pinkish in color but it's the glycol (green) mix not the extended use stuff. It turns green when it's mixed with green.

Think about getting a new radiator with 4 rows rather than just recoring your old stock 3. That's what a PO put in Small World. More cooling the better.

If it was me, I'd have a truck shop check the radiator and pressure test it before heading off on your trip. Even with Coachnet you could be towed a couple hundred miles from nowhere and spend your vacation trying to get back on the road. If it was a catastrophic failure it might mean engine damage to deal with away from home. Just saying
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear view rad cac.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	56106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Expansion Tank, site glass.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	56107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Napa Coolant.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	56108  
89 SP 36
Body #F82224
Old 06-24-2018

Once again, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I put a bottle of a4985 coolant and a bottle of diesel SCA in.

We took her on a drive of 2 half hour stints. And came home to check. The radiator itself is leaking. There was a small pool from the top of the radiator that went down. Based on the condition of the radiator, I’m going to cancel the trip.

This is because I’m also concerned about a front air leak too. It used to take all night but since I had a valve replaced, the front end drops now within minutes. This concerns me as even though I use primarily the retarder, it does spook me a bit.