Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 01-07-2019

Good job Lucas, now I know what George did beside disconnect the 22C relay. Here's another Jake mod you might like that was mentioned previously if you're not aware of it. It will give you another mode of Jake operation by coming ON when you push the brake pedal and go OFF again when you push the throttle pedal. In this mode you can have it ON when your in cruise or when you lift your foot from the throttle and it does not come ON when the TPS goes to zero. For me this is the preferred mode rather than the original throttle actuated mode because I can coast when the throttle is closed. Its a super simple mod by replacing the original ON-OFF enable dash rocker switch a ON-OFF-ON rocker switch and add about six feet of wire, that's it. The new 16 AWG wire is terminated on the fifth terminal point from the left with the yellow/black wire on it on the terminal strip in the bottom of the nose panel. Verify this is the correct point with a test light by having someone step on the brake and that terminal point becomes energized. Wire as shown on the attached diagram, only clouded area is new/changed. The original throttle actuated Jake ON mode is retained also. This changed has been done on several '95 and '96 WBs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jake Switch.pdf (271.6 KB, 35 views)

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 01-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
This changed has been done on several '95 and '96 WBs.
...and on at least one '97 WB. Works great!
Old 01-07-2019

Default Jake Brake operation on 95WB

Andy, thank you for the information. The question I have is that I am sure the transmission will still downshift to 4th gear. I need to eliminate or modify this downshifting before I use this upgrade. I will try to find out what it takes to modify the 4th gear downshift program, it has been talked about on this forum.
Old 01-07-2019

An Allison dealer can re-program the transmission through the diagnostic port located in the driver's footwell. A couple years ago at Pine Mountain a group made arrangements for a dealer to come in and give us a special rate to do several coaches. You need a laptop, the proper adapter, and the proprietary Allison software to do the update.

My coach had the mod already done when I purchased it and shifts into 5th when the Jake activates. The one thing I'd like to change is that in cruise control the Jake activates when the throttle position goes to 0 and this deactivates the cruise control. Setting the Jake to only activate with the air brakes will let the speed rise on descents; 20 or 25 tons doesn't need much of a grade to pick up speed.

Going rate for the mod is somewhere in the $150-$200 range.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 01-07-2019

You have to go to a Detroit Allison shop and have them change the "preselect gear" from 4th to whatever you decide. I had mine changed to 5th and it is a much smoother transition. They do it by connecting to the Allison diagnostic port under your shift pad and change the TCM settings. Shouldn't cost but around $175.00

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 01-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaswillemse View Post
The question I have is that I am sure the transmission will still downshift to 4th gear. I need to eliminate or modify this downshifting before I use this upgrade.
You might even want to consider having it programmed to NOT downshift. If it's in 6th gear when the engine brake activates, it stays in 6th gear. I had mine programmed that way and it's been great. I tried the 5th gear programming but still didn't like the high RPMs at 65 or 70 mph in 5th gear. I find that there's still plenty of engine braking at highway speeds.
Old 01-07-2019
Forum owner

Lucas,Kev may be a faster driver than you,so keep that in mind.
Woody also likes the 6th gear Jake.
Myself,i like the 5th gear downshift.
I'm not a fast driver (anymore!).
Kev mentioned 70 MPH,i'm going to be below 65 on the freeway.
If you can find me on a freeway!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-07-2019

Default Jake Brake operation on 95WB

Randy, most of my driving is in California towing a car and we are limited to 55 which you can push to 58 to 60 at the most. I am sure that if I could get the shift to 5th gear I will be happy. The downshift to 4th at 58/60 comes very close to overrevving the engine and is an abrupt shift.
Old 01-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
You might even want to consider having it programmed to NOT downshift. If it's in 6th gear when the engine brake activates, it stays in 6th gear. I had mine programmed that way and it's been great. I tried the 5th gear programming but still didn't like the high RPMs at 65 or 70 mph in 5th gear. I find that there's still plenty of engine braking at highway speeds.
My Prevost came programed as Kevin described above. When I first got the coach I was thinking of having it re-programed to select 5th but now after driving it this way I like it. It does take a while to get use to it if you are accustom to the down shift, but once you do its great. There is much less shifting and makes for a smooth ride. When climbing long grades I will let the coach settle in to what gear is required to pull the grade, then I will manually select that gear to hold it there as I want to maintain that gear for the descent. Out on level ground I just let it do its thing.
Old 01-07-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaswillemse View Post
Randy, most of my driving is in California towing a car and we are limited to 55 which you can push to 58 to 60 at the most. I am sure that if I could get the shift to 5th gear I will be happy. The downshift to 4th at 58/60 comes very close to overrevving the engine and is an abrupt shift.
I think you will like 5th gear.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com