Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-14-2019

Default From Firwin Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
I thought Randy posted a while back on this subject, that blankets cause problems with rusting the turbo and causeing leaks. Don’t quote me maybe Randy can chime in ?

You think they help Mike, with power or other reasons ?
From their site these seem like pretty valid reasons. I need to get an emission test before I get my plates renewed. They said to get it good and hot for the Dyno test.

Manufacturers of on-highway vehicles use Firwin removable insulation blankets to:
Ensure emissions targets are met. Insulating the exhaust piping and catalyst ensures that high exhuast temperatures are maintained, so that the catalyst performs optimally and government-mandated pollution targets are met.
Shield cabin interiors from ambient heat generated by exhaust piping, especially a concern for coaches and RVs.
Prevent nearby heat-sensitive cables and components from malfunctioning due to exposure to high exhaust heat.

Thomas Atencio
Littleton, Colorado
1988 FC35

Last edited by Tom442; 11-14-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: just dumb things
Old 11-20-2019

Default exhaust manifold blankets?

Did our birds have them? Wondering about even getting those as well. Looks like a really tight fit!

I've received a quote from Firwin.

1 FCAT145: 3208T: DITA 205-275 Kw; Turbo&Elbow Extn $148.50

I have their local rep looking into it as you can see in the photos they sent, there is a big flange off the elbow. He is going to clear up if the extension in the quote, goes beyond the flange in the images they sent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT 3208 Photos (3).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	65274  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAT 3208 Firwin Installation (2).pdf (101.0 KB, 23 views)

Thomas Atencio
Littleton, Colorado
1988 FC35
Old 11-20-2019

That's what I bought from them in August or July this year, same price. The blanket does not include any exhaust pipe past the turbo
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-20-2019

Default Those do look awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Latitude View Post
I installed turbo, elbow, and exhaust pipe blankets. Seems to cut down heat and noise along with the Dynamat sound barrier I put on the outside of the doghouse. ATP in California has the patterns.
HTHs
Is that one piece from the Turbo down? about how far does it go? I spoke with Roberto their engineer at ATP today and he sent the attached pics. I want to make sure the air bags have protection. Do ya think I need all of those pieces? Sections A-D?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust_Blanket_With_Part _Numbers (4).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	65280  

Thomas Atencio
Littleton, Colorado
1988 FC35
Old 11-20-2019

Tom, When I had my 87FC I sent Roberto the the factory blankets that were on my coach along with measurments to come up with the templet he uses for our coaches. From the factory the blankets only were used on the down pipe after the turbo, those are critical as the exhaust pipe runs very close to the airbag on late model FC's. I never did install the "valve cover" blankets as I was not able to get them on due to clearance issues but Roberto said if I brought the coach to him that he was sure he could get them on...I never made it down there to let him try. There are four sections from the turbo down, at a minimum as long as you get the one that goes near the airbag you should be good, I just don't remember what section is needed to accomplish that task.

You may have read my post already but here is the link.. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ead.php?t=2529
Old 11-21-2019

I used to have a motorhome with a Dodge 440 ( one **** of a motor). Overheating was always a problem. Partially due to the exhaust manifolds cooking everything. Headers solved that problem but I also used header wrap to protect the spark plug wires. Headers were rusted out in one year. Never again on exhaust tubing.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 11-21-2019

Default I had not seen that link Robert, very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
Tom, When I had my 87FC I sent Roberto the the factory blankets that were on my coach along with measurments to come up with the templet he uses for our coaches. From the factory the blankets only were used on the down pipe after the turbo, those are critical as the exhaust pipe runs very close to the airbag on late model FC's. I never did install the "valve cover" blankets as I was not able to get them on due to clearance issues but Roberto said if I brought the coach to him that he was sure he could get them on...I never made it down there to let him try. There are four sections from the turbo down, at a minimum as long as you get the one that goes near the airbag you should be good, I just don't remember what section is needed to accomplish that task.

You may have read my post already but here is the link.. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ead.php?t=2529
Thank you!

Thomas Atencio
Littleton, Colorado
1988 FC35
Old 11-21-2019

We only wrap stainless headers...never steel or iron for rusting reasons mentioned above.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 11-21-2019

I had my headers ceramic coated! No one made stainless for my application.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 11-28-2019

Great discussion! Does the turbo and header blankets help reduce noise in the cabin? Is it slight, or noticeable?