Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-30-2018

Default Aux air compressor

1988 PT38

My unit is equipped with an Aux. electric air compressor. Looks like it is original I have never used it but wondered if it would provide air for the accessories: horn, throttle, step, dump valves etc. According to the dash gauge the Bird holds air for at least 5 days. It is presently at 90 lb.'s but none of the above items are working. I let the compressor run for about 5 minutes. Dash gauge did not move and the gauge at the dump valve still shows zero. Is that compressor piped into the air system or does it just provide air to the quick connect coupler in the same bay as the compressor. I have not checked to see if it actually pumps air! I read in the forum that the compressor is located on the drivers side. Mine is the same bay as the inverter. On the passenger side mid way. Thanks

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-30-2018
Administrator

let it run until the PPV opens at about 60psi, then the dump accessory gauge should go from 0 to 60
Old 12-30-2018

It is plumbed into the coach air system but does take a long time to start building pressure. I don't know if the Gast compressor in your coach has ever been rebuilt but it is an easy job and if I still had the coach I would start there.

A good test is to start the coach and bring up air pressure, then shut down and turn on the auxiliary pump. Over time the system will leak down and the auxiliary compressor will kick in...see how long it takes to build pressure back up. If it's running longer than you would like or will not come up to full pressure than a rebuild is in order.
Old 12-30-2018

Thanks Robert and Bill.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
It is plumbed into the coach air system but does take a long time to start building pressure. I don't know if the Gast compressor in your coach has ever been rebuilt but it is an easy job and if I still had the coach I would start there.

A good test is to start the coach and bring up air pressure, then shut down and turn on the auxiliary pump. Over time the system will leak down and the auxiliary compressor will kick in...see how long it takes to build pressure back up. If it's running longer than you would like or will not come up to full pressure than a rebuild is in order.
Or, your compressor is fine and you have a leak in the Aux air system (much more likely)
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com