Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 01-29-2009

Default Fixed window replacement - 84FC35

RE: 1984FC35

I need to replace a broken window. This is the fixed pane about 5 feet behind the drivers seat.

I was getting ready to try and take the whole window frame out to take to the glass shop.

I've got the interior trim pieces off and it looks like the only thing holding it in is some really hefty rubber gaskets. If I pop the window out I think it will be a nightmare getting the frame back in.

Has anyone replaced one of the fixed panes? or seen how a glass shop does it?
Is this the only way to do it?
If you take the center piece out of the window is there some way to cheat and slide it in?

Regards,
GPSGary
Old 01-29-2009

Gary,
I have never taken out a window in my Bluebird. However, I have taken out and replaced others in SOBs. You typically unscrew the interior trim and remove it and then break the seal on the outside, whether it is a rubber sealer gasket or a caulk. Once out it should go back as easy as it came out. I will admit I have not looked over the windows on my Bird and given them a close inspection to see if they are different than that or not. I would think that they are very similar. You notice I did not use the word assume. You know what that does?!

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 01-29-2009
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Default Removing windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSGary View Post
RE: 1984FC35

I need to replace a broken window. This is the fixed pane about 5 feet behind the drivers seat.

I was getting ready to try and take the whole window frame out to take to the glass shop.

I've got the interior trim pieces off and it looks like the only thing holding it in is some really hefty rubber gaskets. If I pop the window out I think it will be a nightmare getting the frame back in.

Has anyone replaced one of the fixed panes? or seen how a glass shop does it?
Is this the only way to do it?
If you take the center piece out of the window is there some way to cheat and slide it in?

Regards,
GPSGary
Hi GPSGary,

I replaced the windows in my 73 FC-31. The rubber trim or gasket that the window frame was set in, unzipped on the outside and the window frame pushed out to the outside. Look close at the rubber trim on the outside and you can see a thin line in the rubber - that’s the seam that you have to unzip or spread apart - kind of a hook and groove design. I used Dawn dishwashing detergent on the rubber and the window frame to help when removing and installing the frame. After the frame is out it can be taken apart to remove the glass. It was not too hard but you have to be careful that whatever tool you are use to open that seam doesn't slip and scratch the paint. I bought all new window glass and rubber gasket material from B.B. at the time.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 01-29-2009

Default Window replacement - gasket trick

That was a fantastic tip.

My gasket had a center strip that when pulled out allowed the gasket to flex enough to release the window frame.

Relatively easy if you know the trick.

Regards,
GPSGary
Old 01-29-2009

What works reallywell to put the window back is to run a smooth string in the window pocket of the gasket, leaving the ends out at the top (for a vertical mount). Start the window into it's spot (bottom first) and then start pulling the string while pushing in on the window. This will drop the glass into place while flipping the gasket over it. You'll end up with the glass in place and the string out. I did this with an old Ford pickup wind shield. It works slick. You can "lube" the string with a silicone spray to make it easier.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 02-11-2009

Default Window replacement

I'm leaving this post as a "breadcrumb".

The two hints in this thread about gaskets are SUPER!

On my bird there was so much built up "gunk" in the cracks of the gasket that at first neither I nor the glass guy saw the center "keeper" piece. Look carefully it's almost certainly this arrangement. Glass install guys have a nifty special tool for putting the "keeper" piece back. It's painful without it but can be done.

The greased string is tricky but worth the effort especially if you're doing more than one window. The first one is hard but I'm sure they get easier as you get more practice.

Regards,
Old 07-12-2010
'83 FC35 SB in Gary, IN

Default Fixed Window Replacement 1983 FC 35

What do you do if vandals not only break the window, but also bend (break?) the frame all to ####?

Are entire replacement windows with frames available without an extended search online?

Or perhaps I should go with plywood, as I am in Gary, Indiana. The wood would match many storefronts.....

We've been working on the bus weekends for a long time, and are getting her almost road-ready. Now this!

Discouraged in Gary!
1983 FC35 SB
Old 07-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONDONJACK View Post
What do you do if vandals not only break the window, but also bend (break?) the frame all to ####?

Are entire replacement windows with frames available without an extended search online?

Or perhaps I should go with plywood, as I am in Gary, Indiana. The wood would match many storefronts.....

We've been working on the bus weekends for a long time, and are getting her almost road-ready. Now this!

Discouraged in Gary!
LJ,
I would think you have HEHR windows in your '83. There is a place in Elkhart that says they have Hehr window parts: http://hehrwindows.net/

You could also try Hehr through their website: http://www.hehr-international.com/

I was able to get some of the clips that hold in the screens from Hehr about a year ago.....they sent about 30 of them free of charge.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 07-12-2010

Default Window replacement

I can't tell you what model they came from but the chicken bus guys down here in Guatemala found used windows with no problem. Down here they only charged me about $60 a piece.

Maybe Bluebird could help you find what body styles share the window and then you could search for a scrapped one.

Wave,
Old 07-12-2010

Default chicken bus update

How is the project going, any new pictures?