Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-28-2016

Matt,

I have the Pepwave BR1 on my list, so it is great to hear good feedback.

How are you setting up the BR1 cell antenna? Do you just use the internal antennas that come with it and rely on the EQO booster, or do you have a separate external antenna?

Also curious about T-Mobile coverage. I have been carrying Sprint and T-Mobile and I have found T-Mobile to be dramatically better in coverage over Sprint in west Texas and New Mexico. Sprint it just terrible, so I am about to move completely to T-Mobile.

Thanks,

Diego
Old 11-29-2016

Diego-

In South Florida, T-Mobile has been as good or better than Verizon. In the Rockies, I relied on Verizon. Hopefully, the Southeast, South and Texas will all be good for T-Mobile. I have been very happy with the option to swap carriers from the Pepwave admin console. More fully featured devices allow SIMs to aggregate bandwidth performance, dedicate different IPs to different carriers and all the rest. These features were valuable for us, but we decided against the added conveniences to keep the overall price lower. We still paid ~$500-600 I think.

The EQO amplifier reliably adds 20db and aids upload speeds. Uploads reliably go from <1mb to over 3mb when turning on the EQO unit. The external antenna might also help, but we haven't tested for it, yet. Currently the external antenna and the BR1 are both at the front of the bus. Ideally, to optimize the distances for improved reception, the external antenna would move to the back of the bus. I just haven't done that yet. Before installing the Pepwave, we experienced significant additional improvement with the external antenna, included with the EQO RV kit With the external antenna, it was common to see 40db improvement and sometimes significantly more.

In the picture (sorry for the glare and washout), you see the EQO amplifier in the corner. It's cabled to the signal re-broadcaster (technical term, lol), about 15 feet away. The signal re-broadcaster presents the amplified signal (wirelessly) back to the Pepwave with the VZW and T-Mobile SIMs in the cabinet.

If the signal re-broadcaster was closer to the Pepwave, I THINK we would see additional signal improvement. The amplifier is up front to get access to the strongest available signal for amplification.

The Pepwave is 100% stock. Stock settings, stock antennas, stock everything. I bought it from www.3gstore.com and it comes with 1 year technical support included. They 3g store has been fantastic to work with.

Dan Dial initially turned me on to this type of device. At WOG, he showed me his setup. His is probably the IDEAL setup. But I am satisfied with what I have here.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pepwave.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	46102  
Old 12-13-2016

It seems that we are talking about two different things here and in a few other posts.

The original post is about cell signal a cell booster

The wifiRanger is not a cell phone booster so it will not boost your cell phone at all.

The 4G-X is a cell phone booster

The WifiRanger is a wifi booster only

So to get great cell boost you need the 4G-X and to get better in part wifi you need the Wifi Ranger.

Both working together gives you the best of both.

I just got in the new version of the WiFiRanger yesterday over $600 it can also work with the 4G-X to take your hot spot signal and re send it in your new hot spot that is very safe in your coach, so this way you are using the same password for everything all the time using any cell devices or any wifi you connect to in a park or location.

I will be getting the 4G-X next to add into the system and a unlimited Sprint hotspot for around $200 a year for when i can get Sprint signal and use vision when no Sprint is around. Or use the Ranger when wifi is good.

When you place the 4G-X next to the WifiRanger the Ranger picks up the signal you can even plug your cell phone or cell hot spot into the wifiRanger and it will power it.

We will have two laptops, One large PC, two cell phone and a free tv box all using wifi.

In a park as the park wifi is good to bad at different times of day we would need to change passwords on every thing many times a day going from the wifo to cell hot spot just hotspot maybe even switching from Virision to Sprint.

With the WifiRanger creating its own hot spot in your coach you never have to change passwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
Stick,
At one time I also had a WIFI Ranger.
But I did not get the inside router like you have.
From the specs I had the inside router should be your "inside antenna".
Their docs said that the router could be used to create a private network thru it instead of configuring the WIFI Ranger antenna to create the private network outside and hope the signal makes it inside.
I have been very happy with Wilson customer service.
When I returned the WIFI Ranger, the process was easy and no hassle from them.
I just ordered the 4G-X and it should be delivered on Monday.
I think all their products are good when used for their stated features.
The WIFI Ranger just did not meet my needs, but I am sure the 4G-X will.
Thanks to all who have shared their experiences with the 4G-X.
I am still looking forward to the results of the EQO RV install.
I too work from the Bird and need the best signal possible.
(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB

Last edited by DigitalEd; 12-13-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2017
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
No problems with the Dicor. It flows initially (slowly) into any cracks or crevices, then sets to putty-like consistency. Never hardens.
Hey Don--

I've been brash. Wish I'd used Dicor. Jane discovered drops of water coming from navigator's overhead light. I usually leave the kitchen exhaust fan running on low when connected to utilities at home base. We had unusual long freezing weather this month.

Connecting the dots: water following wifi and tv cables on the roof iced up, thawed, iced, ... And eventually infiltrated the spaces between the cables as they enter the clamshell. The plumber's putty folded like Superman on laundry day--it turned into a loose paste. The slight vacuum inside the coach made a sucking wound of it, and water followed cables thru the clamshell and into the roof between steel and plywood, emerging again where the plywood inner roof ends (where the roof rolls off to the side).

No direct electrical problems ensued. I thank the local gods who ALWAYS send rain on weekends and holidays--they snicker and give us what they think we deserve, and my wild surmise is that my bad judgement vis a vis sealants, in the gods' opinion, deserved a kickstart-class of a problem to get my attention. It would have been much worse were I not basically a good person and responsively diligent with respect to my gods and my coach.

Anyway, you called that tune, ha. I gotta give you credit, please accept this lick'n'stick Mr. Right star to put on your coach. Well done, i never would have guessed "industry standard" means do it because other things do not work.

Now that I'm out of the woods with the leak, could you mention a good word to the rain gods on my behalf? I know you're on the rain coast and have influence, they're the same quirky rain coast gods we have here.

Regards borne of awe,

Ned "water stained walnut"
Full-time in 2019
Old 01-20-2017
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
I know you're on the rain coast and have influence, they're the same quirky rain coast gods we have here. (
I wish! My driveway is truly a lake. We did fine for the first 2-1/2 months of this rainy season, but finally the ground was so saturated that even 1/2-inch in a day floods us. We've had more than that most days, it seems.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 02-17-2017
Tired and now Retired!!

OK.
When I get to WOG 2017, I need to get with those of you that are using the 4G-X.
I have tried various external antennas and the signal inside has no improvement.
I just purchased and received the Trucker antenna.
Put it on the roof temporarily to test.
Same results, no signal increase at all.
I get 1-2 bars outside and 1 to none inside with just the iPhone.
Adding the 4G-X I get the exact same results.
Called Tech Support and he had me put the iPhone ON the internal antenna and my signal went to 3 bars from none.
2 feet away I was back to what I get without the 4G-X.
Tech support said that I would need to mount the inside antenna "very" close to my phone for it to do any improvement.
Look forward to getting with you in October!! Site 201
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 02-17-2017

Greg,

I have the 4G-M, which looks the same as the 4G-X, and I have found that I get a signal improvement but only about 12" - 18" away from the inside antenna. I have bought the bigger inside antenna and the new weBoost 4G-OTR Cellular Antenna, but I have not tried them yet.

I am also concerned that I do not have enough separation between the outside antenna and the indoor one and that may be affecting the range. When it is working, it does make a huge difference. I am still optimistic since I really haven't spent much time trying to get things right.
Old 02-17-2017
Tired and now Retired!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
Greg,

I have the 4G-M, which looks the same as the 4G-X, and I have found that I get a signal improvement but only about 12" - 18" away from the inside antenna. I have bought the bigger inside antenna and the new weBoost 4G-OTR Cellular Antenna, but I have not tried them yet.

I am also concerned that I do not have enough separation between the outside antenna and the indoor one and that may be affecting the range. When it is working, it does make a huge difference. I am still optimistic since I really haven't spent much time trying to get things right.
The Trucker antenna says at least 8 ft away from the inside.
Tried that.
It may just be the park we are at with hills all around us.
I plan to mount it to the TV mast like others have done.
Getting this "little" body on top of the Bird just about requires a crane.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 02-17-2017

I put the hotspot right on top of the inside antenna for full boost. For cell phone calls, I have excess cord to the inside antenna, and put the inside antenna within 18" of where I am holding the cell for the phone call.

You probably already know the external antenna has to be on metal for a ground plane. Of course a BB roof is steel, so that makes a fine ground plane.

If you have good data transfer rates without the booster, then turn the booster off. Where signal is good, the booster can degrade the service. It's in poor reception areas it works and is intended for.

If good reception and connection, but tower is overloaded, it can't help.

I use it for "boonie" locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
OK.
When I get to WOG 2017, I need to get with those of you that are using the 4G-X.
I have tried various external antennas and the signal inside has no improvement.
I just purchased and received the Trucker antenna.
Put it on the roof temporarily to test.
Same results, no signal increase at all.
I get 1-2 bars outside and 1 to none inside with just the iPhone.
Adding the 4G-X I get the exact same results.
Called Tech Support and he had me put the iPhone ON the internal antenna and my signal went to 3 bars from none.
2 feet away I was back to what I get without the 4G-X.
Tech support said that I would need to mount the inside antenna "very" close to my phone for it to do any improvement.
Look forward to getting with you in October!! Site 201
Old 02-19-2017

I have the Trucker antenna as well but also using the Wifiranger with it.

The cell booster hot spot is right next to my Wifi Ranger and then ranger picks up that signal and then resend it into the bus as a new hot spot covering our full 40 feet all the way to that back with no problem.

Doing it this way we also only use one password ever for all devices as the Ranger picks up any thing we are using and then we have all devices hooked to the Ranger hot spot that the password never changes as we move or change devices we are using.
(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB