Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-19-2017

Here is some photos of what i did i took half of the mass off to fit everything on it like this

(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 02-19-2017

Holy Moley, Ed! It looks like you could talk to the orbiting space station with that setup!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 02-19-2017

Default Non-Space Station Setup

Impressive Ed! However, with my install I took a more minimalist approach - the exterior stubby antenna is mounted on the roof and is hard to see from the ground. The WeBoost 4G-X box is mounted in the front overhead. Inside I unroll the cord on my repeater antenna so it can be placed right next to my device on the sofa. In anything but most extreme distances, a stubby works just as well (according to Technomadia.com MIA testing). A few observations:

1) With an aluminum roof, the magnetic stubby antenna does not "stick". To secure it up top, I attached the stubby with thin coat of Dicor and a bead around the antenna base. Aluminum and steel work just fine as a ground plane, fiberglass does not
2) To get the most benefit, your inside repeater antenna needs to be very close or even directly under the device you are using. Anything more than 12" apart will negatively affect benefits you may see from using the WeBoost
3) With a solid metal roof between the two antennas, feedback is not a problem. If it was, the green ON light would change to red and then you would need only move the inside antenna
4) If your signal is already strong, turning the WeBoost ON can dramatically degrade it. In that case I recommend leaving it OFF, especially if you are close to a cell tower. Too much signal strength that is "over modulated" is not a good thing
5) Signal strength and speed are two different things. If there are lots of people using the same cell tower, no cell phone amplifier will help with the speed. At Q, the cell tower is in town and a long way from the Bird Circle. The WeBoost dramatically improved signal strength at the Bird Nest, at all times. However, speed was only acceptable in the early morning hours (2 am to around 6 am) when everyone else was presumably sleeping.
6) You can change your cell device from displaying Bars to showing actual signal strength - measured in db's (See Here for iPhone)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1585.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	47490  
Old 02-22-2017
Tired and now Retired!!

Ed,
I like your antenna setup and plan to put the same Trucker antenna on top of Baby Bluey.
I did solve my immediate problem of no bars to one bar!!!
Switched from T-Mobile to Verizon Unlimited Data!!!
Now we have 4 bars at the bird!!!
Rebecca's iPhone 7, my iPhone 6 and her iPad Pro all have unlimited data.
Tomorrow I get the SIM adapter so I can use a Verizon SIM in our MaxFII.
Can't wait to see if Verizon limits us on the data when we try to put over 200GB of Netflix thru it!!!
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 02-22-2017

Verizon unlimited is limited.

If using a cell as a hot spot, or using a MiFi type device, they throttle the bandwidth speed below 4G after 10 gig.

And when non hot spotted, they throttle on busy towers after 22 gig on your cell phones.

If you have multiple devices, you can use up to 10 gig per device hot spotted at full 4G.

So it is "un limited", but only at slower than 4G speeds after 10 gig/22 gig.
Old 02-22-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
Verizon unlimited is limited.

If using a cell as a hot spot, or using a MiFi type device, they throttle the bandwidth speed below 4G after 10 gig.

And when non hot spotted, they throttle on busy towers after 22 gig on your cell phones.

If you have multiple devices, you can use up to 10 gig per device hot spotted at full 4G.

So it is "un limited", but only at slower than 4G speeds after 10 gig/22 gig.
I have had Verizon Unlimited for over 15 years and don't find that to be the case. I use a third party system to turn my phone into a hotspot and it has worked fine for me all that time, with one exception. On weekends things slow up on my home tower. I don't know if Verizon is slowing it up or if it is because everyone is home and using up too much bandwidth. My phone always says 4G, but the speed drops from 20K plus down to 15K or less. I'm guessing is is the later, because on occasion it doesn't drop at all. If Verizon was dropping the speed I would think they would do it consistently every weekend. But then again, I live out in the sticks so to speak. If I lived in a highly populated area, I might experience what you are experiencing.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-23-2017

You have the "old" grandfathered unlimited plan. For now, you are still safe with your plan. Verizon is attempting to do away with the old unlimited plans that still exist.

The new "unlimited" plan just offered is not even close to the same. Totally different. This is being discussed many places on the internet.

Here is just one of the sources:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/the...eek-in-review/

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I have had Verizon Unlimited for over 15 years and don't find that to be the case. I use a third party system to turn my phone into a hotspot and it has worked fine for me all that time, with one exception. On weekends things slow up on my home tower. I don't know if Verizon is slowing it up or if it is because everyone is home and using up too much bandwidth. My phone always says 4G, but the speed drops from 20K plus down to 15K or less. I'm guessing is is the later, because on occasion it doesn't drop at all. If Verizon was dropping the speed I would think they would do it consistently every weekend. But then again, I live out in the sticks so to speak. If I lived in a highly populated area, I might experience what you are experiencing.
Old 02-23-2017
Gardner

My cell antenna specifically stated a minimum distance from any other antennas.

I used the original system with an extension which keeps the antenna vertical when traveling and maintains the required separation from other antennas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna-1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	47520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna-3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	47521  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-23-2017
Tired and now Retired!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
My cell antenna specifically stated a minimum distance from any other antennas.

I used the original system with an extension which keeps the antenna vertical when traveling and maintains the required separation from other antennas.
When traveling down the road we usually do not have an issue with connectivity. Have you noticed any improvement with your setup?
It looks logically correct. However, we plan on putting a solar array on the roof and may need that extra space. Nice job on your solution!!
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 02-23-2017
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
When traveling down the road we usually do not have an issue with connectivity. Have you noticed any improvement with your setup?
It looks logically correct. However, we plan on putting a solar array on the roof and may need that extra space. Nice job on your solution!!
My cell antenna is directly connected to my MIFI hotspot (the old ones have an antenna connection, the new ones don't) and does not cover the phones. It does help when we are in a poor signal area and my wife uses the computer when we are on the road. It has been years since I have tried the hotspot without the antenna in the coach.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey