Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Parts and Other Items For Sale

Parts and Other Items For Sale Have a part or other item that you want to sell? List it here.

Site Search:

Old 09-29-2011

Default Perkins/Kohler 12.5 KW Generator For Sale!

I'm selling the original 12.5 KW Perkins/Kohler generator in my 83' FC35.

It has under 800 hours on the clock. It leaks no oil. Starts every time. Currently putting out 160 volts and needs a new voltage regulator.

There might be some exhaust leak on the flex pipe out of the generator.

I replaced the fuel pump and starter in 2008. Also added a Donaldson air filter and new bearing on the fan pulley.

Still has most of the original brown paint and no rust. Used very little.

As my past posts indicate, I don't know this unit very well, and would prefer to replace it with an Onan Quiet Diesel or Generac Quietpact. My main issue is noise under the awning!

For more info or photos, email me at savethebus@yahoo.com. Can also send video of it starting and running.

The generator is currently in the bus. After you see and hear it run, the buyer will be responsible for removing it. I will help as best I can.

Comes with all the components. Just leave me the wires, battery and fuel lines!

$1,200 or best offer.

I might even consider selling the stock slide mechanism that the generator sits in. Make an offer.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2011

I wonder how noisy it would be if you retrofit a thermostatically controlled fan? I'm considering doing that on mine. It sounds like a plane under full throttle for takeoff. But, I think the fan is much of that noise.

I'm strongly considering this on mine. Wonder if it would improve your situation?

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 09-29-2011

Hello Doug,

John Finn installed a squirrel cage fan in his Perkins years ago I believe. He has since replaced it with a newer generator, but I do remember him saying that it really helped with the noise at the time.

I have seen other improvements made by WOG members that greatly reduced the noise.

I found a really good deal on a 12,000 watt powertech. So I'm looking to sell me Perkins as soon as possible.

I'll consider all reasonable offers!
Old 10-04-2011

Dropping the price on my Perkins/Kohler generator to $995 OBO. Must sell!
Old 11-13-2011

Do you still have this generator?
'05 Road King
'08 Silverado Duramax
Old 11-14-2011

Hello Robert,

Thanks for responding.

I believe I have a buyer for my geny. If it does not work out, I will let you know.
Old 11-14-2011

I have a Generac QD in the toter, not the best decision I've made. Probably should think about the Onan and might check with some of the bus conversion suppliers for options. The good thing about Onan is service centers are @ most Cummins shops.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-14-2011
Senior

Andy I hesitate to get involved in this very sensitive issue of changing out the Kohler for something newer and quieter . But here goes
After reading the many many positions on this issue I respond as a rather well informed engineer who loves anything mechanical and have torn apart and rebuilt everything from lawnmowers to motorcycles to diesels. There is a vast difference between the proven widely used Perkings diesel engines and those used on the generators you have referenced.

The Perkings Commerical diesel is made of cast iron with replaceable cylinder liners and pistons, heavy duty cranks and journals and is easily serviced. You can get parts for it any place including off the internet and especially along the seashore where it is heavily used by the fishing industry, its used in off the road equipment and farm tractors. The generator portion is rugged and easily serviced and has proven longevity. The generator brushes etc were easily replaced here at the 2010 rally I held by tom Sorrentino. The sound can be greatly reduced by installing better sound proofing materials and it is offered by dealers on this forum. It can be further reduced by installing a thermostatic switch in the coolant system that then controls the fan for the remote radiator. Then an addtional exhaust extension can be quickly installed when dry camping to further reduce the exhaust fumes and noise.

Now for the generators you mentioned. They are not of commercial quality and if you score a cylinder in any way, blow a piston and you have toasted the whole thing. They are throw away blocks in the true sense as I am not aware of anyone being able to rebuild a ruined cylinderand, are only quiet if they are totally incapsulated in a heavily insulated box and their temperature is thereby elevated. They are difficult to service since the majority of them are not in an extendable tray, and are in a box and the components are difficult to get to.

But I would have to ask Andy what your concerns are on a kohler/Perkins with so few hours? Do you just want to spend the money for something new and can you do the install and connection to your coach yourself?

Did I miss something

Now ducking for cover in my bomb shelter

Tom
6V92
Old 11-14-2011

I agree with Tom No bombs.......

I don't think you will ever get a generator that will be quiet enough that it will not be noisy under the awning. Just the nature of the placement of the gennie itself. Listen to Mike H. when he says that putting a QD in his toter was not the best decision he has made. There are reasons for that.

I think that the Perkins will be the most reliable engine unit, and you can always get a new generator head. Shane Fedeli would probably have the best info on which one to use. John Finn's solution to a lot of the noise was to put the radiator horizontal with a squirrel cage fan, closing up the front vent where a lot of the noise comes from. I put in a 12v Hayden 17" high flow, two speed fan on mine and it has worked fine so far. I don't think it has ever gone into high speed, which is set at 185 degrees.

Just my opinion and worth and only worth 2 cents.....
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio