Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-05-2011
Resident Rookie

Default Primus to Webasto Conversion

Leroy and other WOG Members,
I have a 91 WLWB in Argyle, Texas. Like you, I have gotten fed up with the Primus system and am in the process of designing my Webasto DBW 2010 diesel heater installation. I have read every thread I could find on the installation you made. I plan to remove and sell the two 2490 boilers and the control panels.
I intend to combine the existing circulation loops into one loop with a simple manifold with shut off valves. I also will utilize the engine pre-heat and immersion heater systems on separate switches. I will probably upgrade the main thermostat and keep the bay heat thermostat.
I plan to build a rack (In the same area of the Primus boilers) for the relays above the plumbing deck, which will be above the Webasto heater. The plumbing deck will have the main circulation pump and the engine pre-heat pump located close to the manifold. The heater will be mounted on a hinged swing-down deck (for easy maintenance) with fuel and water lines designed for the 90 degree swing without disconnecting them. The exhaust will also be designed when the fuel & water connections are in place, but will be out the bottom and toward the curb side (hopefully so I don’t have to disconnect it either!)
If ya’ll can think of any suggestions or ideas you have learned from your conversions, I would appreciate any input or ideas from other members who are familiar with the Primus to Webasto conversion. ,
Thanks
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 11-05-2011

Bob,

i have a 91 bird too.

i called your posted number and left a message.
i and John Wyatt have blueprints of Glen Rogers design of the Webasto
conversion. I would like to express interest in your old Primus is you do convert.

Call me if we can help.

john
Old 11-06-2011

will the WOG member who PMed me for additional data email me
at jvredden@aol.com. I cant find your PM.

john redden
91PT
Old 11-07-2011

Bob.
You are doing the right thing. You are approaching it correctly building it with easy maintenance in mind. There really is not much maintenance-generally limited to cleaning the burn chamber and changing the nozzle.

My fuel take off is just before the entry to the main Racor. Others have run a line to the main tank. You can also use the old LP line to go to the tank if desired. Mine works fine with one small quirk. If I let the fuel get below 1/8 tank it will not draw fuel. Presumably because of decreased static head pressure. If I put fuel in the tank all is well.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 12-20-2011
Resident Rookie

Thanks Leroy, I think I will tap into the same place near the Racor and put the return line back to the main tank fill neck on the curb side.

I started the conversion last week and removed the Primus system. I cleaned the boilers and electric heaters heaters.

Before:

After;

I have a lot of house keeping to do to clean up that space:
- Will clean and paint all metal work with aluminum Rustoleum paint,
- Make a panel vertically to secure all the oil fill plumbing & wiring
- Design a relay box so they are not out in the weather,
- Move all pumps to a separate deck which is accessible,
- Build a trap door swing down mount for the Webasto boiler.
- Build a new control panel with a water temp guage and an hourmeter.
- Use existing 2 loops so that I can isolate one loop without losing all the heating capability.
- Install shut-off valves so I can remove major components without drianing the whole hydronic system.
- Wire the control panel so I can select between diesel or electric heaters.
- Design a manifold to give me all the flexibility to use different heat sources (Engine, boiler, or electric) to either side loop or both.

So far I have cleaned the Primus boilers:

Cleaned the electric heaters:

Made the relay box:
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

IBA #11205
Old 12-20-2011
Resident Rookie

Made the waterproof relay box:

Made the prototype of the control panel (I am adding a pre-heating element in the generator coolant) and the manifold with drains:

I also wired and plumbed the fuel lines to the Webasto (I have to allow for the extra lengths so it can flip down when the door drops) and put quick release pins in the hinges for the boiler so it can be easily opened for maintenance:

I also started the fabrication of the rack for the boiler and electric heaters(it will be installed with the trap door opening downward). This is the bottom of the rack with the trap door lifted up. The door will be secured with 6 stainless 1/4 x 20 bolts:

This is the Webasto sitting on top of the door for marking exhaust and mounting holes :
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

IBA #11205
Old 12-20-2011

You got it goin on man. Looks good.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 12-20-2011

Bob, let me know how much you want for the Primus Units.

John Boudreaux
Old 12-20-2011
prone to wandering

Bob, when I did the Webasto conversion on my 91 SP, I went into the fuel tank for my supply. I opened the fuel gauge service door in the floor and put the Webasto fuel pickup in the vent bung. Then I removed the filler neck and vented it. Worked great and the coach took fuel better after the vent relocation.
Nice work BTW
jimdoel@me.com
Old 12-20-2011

I would also like to inquire about the used Primus unit too. I am in Roanoke, TX for the next couple of weeks.
Fruita Colorado