Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 01-22-2014

Default New Member Introduction

Hello Folks,

Another new old guy here although there is no need to tell you this; you will know this because I will show my ignorance in short order. I have been reading new and old threads here for a couple months and registered a couple weeks ago. I have debated if I should introduce myself at all, and, if so, how much or little background is appropriate. I decided to jump in and show my ignorance because I could use and would appreciate input and advice from those more experienced and knowledgable than me. At this point that would be anyone who has inserted a key into the ignition switch of any coach.

The short version is that after dragging around a travel trailer for the past 4 year to the tune of 10,000 - 12,000 miles and 184 nights in 2013 we, wife and I, THINK that we want to dump the TT and move up to a motorhome. My research in to motorhome quality, solid construction, lead me to Blue Bird. I am now stuck trying to determine which Wanderlodge model is the best fit for us. Based on the information gathered via the internet, and the amenities we would like to have, we THINK the two possibilities are the 43’ LXi with 2 slides or the M450 LXi with 3 slides, floor space is a priority.

I would like to be able to do the touchy, feely thing, but have not been able to locate a 2 slide LXi for sale that is handy to where I live. There are a number of 450s for sale so I have been able to see a couple, but the only 2 slide LXi listed for sale that I have found is out west somewhere. Maybe also one in south FL. The fact that there were probably fewer 450s manufactured verses 2 slide LXis and more 450s for sale probably speaks volumes but I could use and would appreciate any and all input, opinions on these 2 models.

Finally is there anyone with a 2 slide LXi located in central or north GA or anyone with plans to travel I-20 or I-75 through Atlanta who would be willing to show me their coach. Home base for me is about the middle of a triangle formed by connecting Atlanta, Athens, and Macon. I could get away for a day to meet within a couple hours drive, but have not been able to find the time for a multi-day trip. I would have liked to have attended the rally in FL but could not get away so I am forced to take a different approach.

I would be happy to share more personal info, background, but do not want to bore you needlessly.
Old 01-22-2014
Administrator

Welcome Jim We are happy you found us.

I would suggest to ask more questions, read more threads.
There are numerous decision to make, a solution and a Bird will find you.
Old 01-22-2014

Hey Jim,

I am sure you will find the Bird your looking for. It seems to me that the Bird picks the owner not the other way around.
281-546-2445
Old 01-22-2014
Forum owner

Welcome Jim.
Seems like we are old friends!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-22-2014
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Jim Welcome to the forum.
I am sure Randy is your go to guy, or he should be.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 01-22-2014

Welcome to WOG Jim. I think the best thing you can do is take you time. The old saying, "Good things come to those who wait" seems to work best for those of us that have bought a Wanderlodge. It also seems to me, from personal experience, and from reading and hearing about others' experiences, that when you find the coach for you, you will know it. I've used the term, "it will speak to you" and I believe that. There will be something in you gut that will tell you, you have found the right one. So, having said that, look at as many coaches as you can to get the general feel of what type and size you want and that fit your lifestyle. I had several friends tell me I had to have one with a slide. But I couldn't pull the trigger on one because it just didn't suit me. I've had my coach 6 years and have had SOBs for over 35 years. I have yet to use the cook top on this coach. The micro/convection has been used. I can probably count on both hands how many times we have used any cooktop or oven in all my coaches. I have worn out more grills than any other human on this planet. I roll out the carpet, pull out the awning, and set up my kitchen outside and we are home. 90% of the time we are sitting outside under the awning and enjoying our surroundings and our neighbors. We also seldom stay anyplace that long and try and move around to see as much of this country as possible, because that is why we bought the coach in the first place. We also have never full-timed either. If and when we do that may all change, I don't know. But my point is, think about what your intended lifestyle is going to be and use that as a guide. Because of the $10K,$20K or $30K you may save not buying a slide will buy a whole heck of a lot of fuel. Than again, maybe you plan on going someplace and be there for extended stays and slides are perfect for that, especially if weather becomes an issue.
So good luck with your search. I hope you find the one that you want soon and we run into you at one of the rallies. Speaking of which, if you haven't found one before, go to the WOG rally this Oct. in Pine Mountain, GA There are Yurts there for you to stay in and there are usually something like 120 or more coaches there for you to look at and some for sale too, by owners and some dealers. This is about the largest gathering of Birds you will find anywhere and people are usually very accommodating about letting you look their coaches over and answering your questions.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 01-22-2014

Jim, if you are not in a hurry there will be 100+ Bluebirds at the annual WOG rally in Pine Mountain GA this October. Good place to look around and get some ideas. Pine Mountain is only about an hour southwest of Atlanta.

Rally info: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=17736

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by Labrador; 01-22-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add rally info
Old 01-22-2014

Picking a BB motorhome for some one else might be like making an arranged marriage. I sent Jim a PO suggesting he might consider the complexity of the coaches he suggested as a FIRST motor home.

On the other hand it he feels comfortable with it he certainly wouldn't have to concerned about the need to "move up".

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 01-22-2014
Forum owner

Jim and wife have show dogs.
They need lots of floor space for the dogs,hence the slideout requirement.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Jim and wife have show dogs.
They need lots of floor space for the dogs,hence the slideout requirement.
Ok, I can see that. They probably never get out. My dog would be bouncing of the walls if she saw I was outside and she was inside. When we first brought her home she spent a ton of time outside. She would even run along side or behind me on the tractor when I was mowing. At the end of the day she would be green as grass from her belly down. She looked like we dipped her halfway into a vat of green dye. It was so funny to watch her chase the tractor.
Anyway, everybody's situation is different and everybody has different needs. That's why Bluebird made so many different kinds of coaches. I hope I didn't sound like I was pushing not getting a slide. I'm one that thinks that comments like mine are only meant to get people to think, not to persuade anyone. I dislike pushy people and hope I didn't turn into one. If I came across pushy my apologies Jim. I hope to run into you sometime soon. I love dogs. Click image for larger version

Name:	P7190002.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	26701

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278