Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 01-03-2016

Default 3-Way fridge replacement

I have seen several coaches for sale where the owner replaced the 3-way with a residential unit. I don't see a problem with this, but thought I'd solicit opinions. On our last two buses, we had no propane at all. On the Eagle, I ran a Webasto for heat and hot water and had an inverter to run the fridge. On the Prevest we had Espar diesel heaters and two electric water heaters. No big deal, even when boondocking, just start the generator twice a day to keep the house batteries charged.

Is there something that I'm missing? I guess if you left the coach unattended for a period of time and wanted to keep the fridge going, then propane would be helpful, but in that case, why wouldn't you just empty the fridge?

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 01-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWBIRD View Post
I have seen several coaches for sale where the owner replaced the 3-way with a residential unit. I don't see a problem with this, but thought I'd solicit opinions. On our last two buses, we had no propane at all. On the Eagle, I ran a Webasto for heat and hot water and had an inverter to run the fridge. On the Prevest we had Espar diesel heaters and two electric water heaters. No big deal, even when boondocking, just start the generator twice a day to keep the house batteries charged.

Is there something that I'm missing? I guess if you left the coach unattended for a period of time and wanted to keep the fridge going, then propane would be helpful, but in that case, why wouldn't you just empty the fridge?
Opinions all over the place - - - - I personally like the propane set up for the reasons you mentioned. The question here is how long a period of time.
Ya pays yur money and ya takes yur choice
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 01-03-2016

Sky - your thoughts are correct. Can't speak for other brands than the newer Samsung RF18 model. However, these are awesome! Believe if you search WOG for recent conversions you'll find those who've done the it love them. A generator run an hour or two in the morning and evening is about right. I'm planning my bigger battery bank & solar addition now and with that expect to largely eliminate most run time. Of course your results with older/less efficient house models would almost certainly be less favorable especially if you plan on doing lots of boondocking. Some have added electric water heating with excellent results.

Last edited by NoGas; 01-03-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2016

The electric water heaters on our Prevost drew quite a bit and they had them set up so that if you wanted to run one of them, you had choose between running a roof air or the water heater. It had huge toggles to run either the aft A/C or a water heater and either the mid A/C or the other water heater. Not a good situation in my opinion. I like the setup that I built on our Eagle better using the Webasto. I essentially modeled it off of the early Aqua Hot but spent far less on it.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 01-03-2016

No stock Wanderlodge likes to be "off the cord" for long. However, they are a great platform for upgrading. Sounds like you are pretty handy. Why not get one and turn it into your dream coach? That's my plan
Old 01-03-2016

I think I am an antique kind of guy! I just put in a new Dometic 2 way, propane and 120v. We boondock a lot, and, at least at present, have no solar. The genny runs good, but I prefer NOT running it, unless needed.

Your results may vary!

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 01-03-2016

We went all electric and would never go back. That Samsung makes a huge improvement in quality of life. Draws very little. You can always skip making ice cubes if you want minimal power usage.