Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-29-2020

Default Building to much air pressure 87 PT Help please

Hello everyone,

I sure hope you are all staying healthy in these crazy times.

I am trying to get home and getting the bus ready to go yesterday and was letting it idle getting it nice and warm, letting it air up and doing all my checks. I was not planning to leave until today. I was walking around and all of a sudden I heard a controlled release of air from the curb side and rear of the drive axle and forward of the tag axle. The air was released in a controlled bursts every 15-20 seconds and not a steady release of air such as if you blew a line etc.

I started it back up this morning and watched the air gauge rise until it got to 150 PSI with no releases but I shut it down. I did a search of the forum and could not find anything. Why would it build to 150 PSI ?

I need to get home to my wife as you can well imagine. I need the bus because I have to self isolate for 14 days.

I am going to cross post this in the Chassis section as well.

Thank you in advance for you help and input.

Thanks, Dale

Dale
British Columbia
1987 38' PT Wanderlodge 8V92
Old 03-29-2020

Air governor. $30.00 part; usually easy to get to. 1/2 hour job if you can access it. A failed governor will keep the engine compressor engaged and the pressure will peg your gauge if you let it go that long.

It's a Bendix D-2 or equivalent, any truck parts store should have one. You'll also need some Teflon tape for the fittings you transfer from the old one and for the plugs you will use to block the unused ports. I swapped mine at WOG last year on the picnic table by my site. Google will show you what it looks like; it should be mounted near the engine. On my coach it was mounted on a the forward side of a bulkhead that also had the Racor and hydraulic reservoir (curbside, near the alternator). I don't know where it is on the PT but someone here will know.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 03-29-2020

Dale,
As Stephen said, its most likely the air governor.. Most are not in a great spot, unless someone has moved it. It should be on the inside of the frame rail just behind the tag axle tire on the curb side.

Will look like this:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MBIK...EaAlTeEALw_wcB

I relocated both the governor and my air dryer back in the engine compartment so I did not have to crawl under the bus to get to them.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 03-29-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
Air governor. $30.00 part; usually easy to get to. 1/2 hour job if you can access it. A failed governor will keep the engine compressor engaged and the pressure will peg your gauge if you let it go that long.

It's a Bendix D-2 or equivalent, any truck parts store should have one. You'll also need some Teflon tape for the fittings you transfer from the old one and for the plugs you will use to block the unused ports. I swapped mine at WOG last year on the picnic table by my site. Google will show you what it looks like; it should be mounted near the engine. On my coach it was mounted on a the forward side of a bulkhead that also had the Racor and hydraulic reservoir (curbside, near the alternator). I don't know where it is on the PT but someone here will know.
If it's in the same place on the '87 PT that it is on my '86 I'm afraid it's not easy to get to. It's on the inside of the frame rail above the tag axle on the curb side.
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com
Old 03-30-2020

Good morning gents,

Thanks for the input and idea's. I should be able to get the parts this morning and install myself. I have a solid set of ramps, will chock all wheels etc. The air gauge still reads high even after dumping the suspension. I will use the shrader valve to be sure all the air is out of the system, does this reasonable ?

Thanks, Dale

Dale
British Columbia
Old 03-30-2020

It's faster and easier to exhaust the air system by fanning (press and release) the brakes after the engine is off. You may want to do this and take the pressure down to 80 or so PSI before starting the engine to move the coach onto your ramps to avoid building too much pressure during the move. If it starts getting too high several quick brake application/release cycles will bring the pressure back down temporarily.

Good luck with the air governor replacement.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 03-30-2020

Update,

I replaced the air governor, fired her up and it's still going past 120 PSI to about 130 PSI when I shut it down. The air dyer is not "Burping" as it usually does.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks guys, Dale

Dale
British Columbia
Old 03-30-2020

Any idea when the dryer cartridge was last replaced? It couple be clogged, although I would think that would not let you build enough pressure, but you never know.
VB 1570
Old 03-30-2020

Serviced last year so I don't think that is the issue. I'm making sure the air dryer has power. If its not purging I'm thinking that may be the problem and building to much ? I know there is a dedicated fuse so I am checking that out now.

The other day I was cleaning the Genset battery terminals and I shorted out on the frame. Since then my compartment lights, basement fridge are not working. I wonder if I shorted out the air dryer or other equipment ?

I'm trying to chase this down now.

Dale

Dale
British Columbia

Last edited by DaleR; 03-30-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-30-2020
Forum owner

The fuse and the power to the dryer are to keep it from freezing,its a heated air dryer.
I think you have an air dryer problem,the check valve has come apart or something.
You know what you have to do,take the dryer off and figure it out.
Be careful under there.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com