Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 03-29-2011
prone to wandering

Default SP Webasto upgrade

Well, we finally found some time to change out our Primus propane boilers and replace them with a Webasto DBW2010 boiler. I did lots of homework and talked to many people so I thought that I would share what I learned. First step was to get fuel from the tank to the boiler. While many people have gone with a T-fitting off of the Racor feed, after speaking with the guys at Coachworx, we decided to go with their reccomendation which was to draw the fuel out of the tank.
Rather than drill a hole in the tank, we fitted the Webasto fuel pickup into the stock fuel vent in the top of the tank, accessible through the the panel in Ernie's floor. (thanks Ernie) This is illustrated in picture 1.
Next step was relocating the fuel tank vent to the filler neck (picture 2). The neck removes easily and is stout enough to be drilled and tapped for a vent.
With regards to fuel lines, we decided to use steel lines. On an SP, there is little choice but to follow the original Primus propane fuel line routing which is through the right side storage bays. We needed to open up the existing holes for the feed and return lines and then grommet the holes, feed the steel lines through then seal the holes from weather.
Picture 3 shows the Webasto in place (with the cover off) and the coolant tank. We opted to fabricate and install a coolant tank so as to eliminate the issues associated with bleeding a closed system.
Now comes the fun part, plumbing and wiring.
More to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	9691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	9692   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	9693  
jimdoel@me.com
Old 03-29-2011

Very nice work! Looks like you're going to be nice and warm next winter for sure!
Linden, Michigan