Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > First-Timers and Newcomers

First-Timers and Newcomers Are you a first-timer, newcomer, or even a "wannabe"? This is the place to get your questions anwered.

Site Search:

Old 05-11-2014
Do what?

Default Bed question - PT and FC models

So, I am looking at a couple of 'Birds and starting to consider purchase very carefully. I have three different candidates, two of which are FC and one is a PT. My question is specifically about the twin beds, and potential conversion to a 'big' bed.

For sake of keeping this thread simple, I'd like to avoid all of the ancillary discussion about walk-around space, etc -- and specifically, I'd like to focus on the systems that go under the beds. I am capable with tools and I am not afraid of 'bigger' projects -- however, I am more interested in figuring out marginal utility of taking on such a task as comparison to other projects (each 'bird has its' good points, as well as projects I forsee when making it my own).

I was hoping I could tap into the plethora of knowledge on this forum to understand exactly what exists underneath each twin bed in both PT (mid '80s) and FC (mid-late '80s) models? I figure if I understand more about exactly what is in there and needs for accessibility it would help me gauge level of investment in time and resources.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2014

Craig - I have a PT with rear twins. When I bought it the prior owners had laid a board between the two and added a king mattress. I went back to twins since my kids sleep back there.

What is under there? On the driver's side the water pump, tons of plumbing, and the water pressure tank. There is a drawer as well and another storage spot. However, on the passenger side, there is the water tank, which pretty much takes up the entire spot under the bed.

Easiest is to do what I had in mine - make it a king with no walk around. Moving stuff and making it a queen or some sort of walk around whether side headboard or rear headboard will entail a good bit of work. If you can buy one that is already configured as you want, it will save lots of work.
VB 1570
Old 05-11-2014

I'm just now prying my foot out of my mouth for commenting on an FC. I can tell you about a PT with twin beds because that is what I have.

The freshwater tank is under the curbside twin bed. The water pump and a whole bunch of copper plumbing is under the roadside twin bed.

I converted it to a sideways queen with a few sheets of plywood that I'm going to pretty up this year. The beauty of it is I didn't have to change anything under the beds which could be pretty involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB_Queen.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	28754  
Old 05-11-2014
Do what?

Thanks for that information -- it helps a lot. I can't tell from the picture; how do you get to the storage that is underneath the bed? Is it a drawer, or does the mattress on the twin bed flip up for storage?
Old 05-11-2014

That's the rub. There is a storage drawer near the front that slides into the isle between the beds. There is also a hinged access panel near the rear for water control switches and an electric heater. All of this is pretty inconvenient with the queen bed in place. I don't think relocating the switches would be too difficult. It is a wrestling match to get the queen mattress in place.
Old 05-12-2014
Senior Moments

I have an 1985 FC, with twin beds. On the Street side under the bed is the water heater, a ton of plumbing, and the fresh water tank. On the Curb side is a chassis heat exchanger, and two drawers. Would be easy to flip some plywood across the beds and make a king sized bed, and you could even rig some lifting struts if you wanted to pick it up.

Wife and I actually prefer the twins, and I have rigged an adjustable type bed, since I have to sleep with head and feet elevated due to an old back injury.

1. Is the water heater plumbing and electrical under the street side bed.
2. Twin beds, with the foam mattresses. These are a bit wider than the original, being 36" wide and 80" long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Versa1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	28766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beds.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	28767  

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com
Old 05-12-2014
Do what?

Thanks for the reply and pictures, John. That makes a lot of sense, and I think this gives me some interesting ideas. Sorry to hear about your back! I've gone through plenty with my neck, luckily it hasn't traveled south where I hear things are a lot more difficult to have positive outcomes...
Old 05-13-2014

My FC31 was converted from twins to a cross queen. The head of the queen was over the tank/furnace/water heater.

The curbside drawer was moved so it opened toward the front of the bus.

The chassis heater was boxed in, and there was "footroom" at the foot of the bed. A duct was provided for chassis heat output.

The night stand was cut down and mounted over the water tank, with a shelf out in front over the tank.

There was room for a small wicker chest of drawers in the front-curbside corner of the room.

The whole bed board was hinged across the bus at 48". It opened for storage and service access, and it was held up with a pair of air struts.

The furnace outlet was ducted to exit toward the front beside the drawer. It requires two 4" ducts.

The tank drains had to be relocated.

Hardest part of the project was moving the reading lights and control panel from across the rear to over the new head of the bed but it was worth the effort.

I posted a set of photos on one of the now-defunct Yahoo discussion groups. I don't know what may have happened to them.
04 M380