Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 04-03-2013

Default drive line noise

So I went out for a fuel and shakedown run and have a terrible noise in the drive line. it is most noticeable under load and in the galley. it can't be heard from the drivers seat and is a ticking or clunking that turns into a whine as speed increases. also when stopped you can her a clunk when changing from drive to reverse or if you let off the brake and reapply it. I thought it was a u-joint but I have pulled the drive shaft from the pinion yoke and there is no play or grit in the caps nor was there play when i put the pry bar on the joint while it was still installed. the yoke moves by hand about a 1/4 inch in each direction before stopping. should there be this much lash? there is no pinion bearing end play. thoughts?
Old 04-03-2013

Inner pinion bearing? Put a bar on that yoke and be sure you only have 1/4 inch lash.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-03-2013

updade...im gonna land all it to barnicks in north haven 250 for the ride on the bed
Old 04-04-2013
Administrator

Good luck with the repair, it may be time to research which gear to install if a rebuild is needed.
Old 04-04-2013

Is there a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing on the FCs that could cause this? My SOB had one is why I ask.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-04-2013

There are two rubber driveshaft carriers one for the front section and one for the rear just after the slip joint. The foward one has a bit of slop to it but the sound is verry localized to right above the rear end while standing in the galley.
Old 04-04-2013

Bill...what options do I have? I've heard of a two speed rear end in some of the na's one just sold in FL. I think it was popular in the medium duty dunp trucks that had the 3208. The body tag says its geared 5.29 and was repowerd with a 3208t not sure if it is the 250 or 300HP but it has the turbo hump and an Allison 4 speed. Im hoping it is just a bearing but if I have to replace gears what are my options?
Old 04-04-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberTramp View Post
updade...im gonna land all it to barnicks in north haven 250 for the ride on the bed

Adam,

It may be good idea to think about purchasing a Road Service contract, check out Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs > Best Towing Membership Program

If you had already had one it would have covered that RIDE on the Landoll and saved you around $150.00 too.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-04-2013

I have had U-joints make some strange sounds that sounds like your description. I hope in your case that is it.
Old 04-04-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberTramp View Post
Bill...what options do I have? I've heard of a two speed rear end in some of the na's one just sold in FL. I think it was popular in the medium duty dunp trucks that had the 3208. The body tag says its geared 5.29 and was repowerd with a 3208t not sure if it is the 250 or 300HP but it has the turbo hump and an Allison 4 speed. Im hoping it is just a bearing but if I have to replace gears what are my options?
The 300 HP has an charge air cooler, which I doubt is installed on your coach. You would need to push the front end out to house it. Could be a 250, they are the biggest HP without the charge air cooler.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey