Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-31-2012

Default To Drive, or Not to Drive. That is the question.

OK guys. I have a dilemma. I’ve made reservations for a cabin at RATS. I can only be there Wednesday and Thursday night, but that’s OK. Here is my question:

I have a good friend with an 82 or 83 FC he doesn’t use. It probably hasn’t had regular use in 5 years – his son did take it to Florida about 3 years ago with no problems. It has been stored inside for the past couple of years. Tires are probably 5-6 years old. He knows of nothing wrong, but he really would not know since he hasn’t used it.

In a casual conversation the other night he asked me why I didn’t drive the coach to RATS. My first thought was mechanics, then liability. He is a dentist here in Americus and has full coverage on the coach. I would have no road service, since I dropped the RV part of my AAA coverage when I sold the GMC.

He has considered selling it but we need to work out a price. It might be one to run away from. I’ve driven it and everything shifts and sounds OK. Batteries might be too old to save. I have no idea how old the diesel fuel is, but it is probably at least 3 yrs. Old from the Florida trip. I know one of the Cruisaires is not working.

I’m tempted to bring it over to the house, clean it up, check fluid levels, belts hoses and give it a go. Of course it will cost more to drive the BB than to stay in the cabin but that isn’t the point. Currently, Pine Mountain says there are no more sites available in the paved spots. I’d prefer to be part of the crowd, naturally. I suspect there could be some cancellations. By the way, it is 90 miles each way for me to drive.

So the big question is, drive or don’t drive. I suspect the answer will be “drive” but if so, let’s talk about what I need to do to get it road worthy.
Old 08-31-2012

That is a good friend. Here is what I would do. Take it home and check it out. Get 2 or three Racor and engine fuel filters if all is OK. Determine what he wants for the unused BB. Put a sign in the window with the Rock Bottom price. The only spooky part is no towing insurance. That could make it a very expensive trip.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-31-2012

Stick, I have a dilemma too. I have not made reservations for a cabin or Yurt at RATS and I have to drive about 900 miles to attend RATS. Here is my question: drive or don’t drive. I suspect the answer will be “drive” but if so, let’s talk about what I need to do to get it road worthy.

Staying home will save the most money.

But then I will miss RATS.

RATS will be more fun though.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 08-31-2012
prone to wandering

Stick, keeping in mind that it is only 90 miles each way, and if it were me, and there was a chance that I might buy this coach,
I would bring it home, clean it up, check everything out, change the engine oil if has not been done recently and take it to RATS. Don't let the batteries scare you as you will be plugged in at the park. Put the Rv coverage back on your triple A. Tires might be fine just make sure that the pressures are up.
It wouldn't hurt to burn some of that old diesel fuel out of there and put in some fresh anyway.
But that is partly my sense of adventure talking, but also it is my practical side that gets a great test run on a possible new to me BB. And besides, you will have so much fun you will likely buy the FC as soon as you get home
jimdoel@me.com

Last edited by JD33; 08-31-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-31-2012

YUP-what they said. See you at RATS in the bus. 90 miles is not that far. drive slow. enjoy
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 08-31-2012

He said 900 not 90 or am I wrong? Ok I am wrong it was Dick that has to drive 900. No sympathy for him.

For 90 miles? You could push it that far Stick.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-31-2012

90! I'm too old and fat to push anything around but a fork.
Old 08-31-2012

Stick, 90 miles is a short shake down cruise...will be a good test for you and the coach needs to be exercised anyway.

Carry a gallon or 2 of coolant, a gallon of oil, and bring your favorite set of tools. If you have any trouble while at RATS call me or Jim, Rick or John (5).

If you do not buy the coach Randy can list it for your Buddy.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 08-31-2012

He really can't make up his mind to sell. He is not realistic about the value and it sort of makes him mad to think about the loss. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't just give it to me. He's already offered me a 50/50 partnership. The only partnership I participate in is my marriage and it's certainly not 50/50 - if you know what I mean.
Old 08-31-2012

Test drive it to RATS. It's a great short shakedown cruise. Go for it.

Mike Shaw
98 LX
Northern Virginia