Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-11-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Noise at Q

I goofed somehow, I wanted to just add my old post to this thread, but when I did the thread disappeared, but I managed to rescue and copy the posts so I'll put all of the old ones including mine in one post.

Sorry about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkane View Post
I made some informal sound pressure level measurements of the Birds at the gathering in Quartzsite.

Most of the generators on pre-200x coaches were about 85 dB(C). The newest coaches were in the 72 dB(C) range. Measurements were taken at the midpoint between adjacent coaches, about 10 feet, and at the front.

Exhaust sound levels were measured for three coaches: Shane Fedeli's 85PT 6v with a resonator, Curt Sprenger's 87PT 8v with a straight pipe, and my 87PT 8v with muffler. At five paces directly away from the exhaust, the '85 was 92 dB(C) at idle and 98 dB(C) at fast idle. The muffled '87 was 90 at idle and 91 at high (with generator running), and the straight-pipe '87 was 102 and 105 at high idle.

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 "Sleipnir"
currently Gila Bend, AZ

I feel pretty good about Kubota/Powertech modification then, here's my results from an earlier thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I received my inexpensive TENMA Model 72-935 Mini-Sound Level Meter today, I purchased it on EBay.

I decided I would try it out on my Powertech with a Kubota engine, here are my readings;

Generator door open exposing the generator;

On the curb side at 5 feet away 82db

Generator door closed readings;

Curb side at 5 feet 75.7db at 20 feet 65.6db
Street side at 5 feet 75.3 at 20 feet 66.7
In front of coach 71.7db
In back of coach 76.1db

I have to raise the generator just slightly to gain clearance between the oil pan and the drawer tray that it is now touching and then it may get a little quieter, I believe that adding some spray foam insulation to the outside of the generator compartment walls on the sides and back would also help, I get more sound at 20 feet from the street side, as that is coming from the openings on the back side of the generator compartment for the air intake and circulation.

I also modified the air intake muffler on my old Perkins which made a significant drop in the sound level, Randy can verify that modification worked using a coffee can and a plastic cup, I'm looking for a similar way to do the same thing with the Powertech, the air intake creates a lot of noise.
========================================
RESCUED POSTS

20 Minutes Ago 10:34 PM curtsprenger

Do you think the highway patrol officer had good hearing the day I was given a ticket for loud exhaust, and good reason to write the ticket? hahaha One of these days I'll get back to that project and do as Shane has done...I like the wrap sound, like a glass pack, that comes out of the 6V. Mike, keep your meter handy, we'll do some future measurements. Thanks for posting the readings.

22 Minutes Ago 10:33 PM davidmbrady

That explains the "fix-it" ticket. Curt's is twice as load as Shane's which is twice as load as MrKane's.

26 Minutes Ago 10:29 PM Fred Hulse

It's music to my ears!!
I really like that V92 sound.

31 Minutes Ago 10:24 PM sfedeli

I guess that put's my noise level somewhere between a chamber quartet and a full symphony orchestra!

52 Minutes Ago 10:03 PM Fred Hulse

Hi Mike
You have some interesting observations,
Thanks for the post.

1 Hour Ago 09:18 PM mrkane

Noise at Q

I made some informal sound pressure level measurements of the Birds at the gathering in Quartzsite.

Most of the generators on pre-200x coaches were about 85 dB(C). The newest coaches were in the 72 dB(C) range. Measurements were taken at the midpoint between adjacent coaches, about 10 feet, and at the front.

Exhaust sound levels were measured for three coaches: Shane Fedeli's 85PT 6v with a resonator, Curt Sprenger's 87PT 8v with a straight pipe, and my 87PT 8v with muffler. At five paces directly away from the exhaust, the '85 was 92 dB(C) at idle and 98 dB(C) at fast idle. The muffled '87 was 90 at idle and 91 at high (with generator running), and the straight-pipe '87 was 102 and 105 at high idle.

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 "Sleipnir"
currently Gila Bend, AZ

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-11-2011

Quote:
I feel pretty good about Kubota/Powertech modification then, here's my results from an earlier thread;
Not to put too much emphasis on it, but the Tenma appears to give A-weighted measurements only, which will be lower than C-weighted numbers.

In a nutshell, A-weighting tries to replicate the sensitivity of the human ear, while C-weighting includes more low frequencies--like those that rattle your neighbors' dishes and cabinet doors. ;-)

--M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 "Sleipnir"
currently Gila Bend, AZ