Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-18-2010

Default Jack spring replacement

I did a search on changing jack springs. I received a return call from HWH and ordered two sets of return springs for the front jacks. After looking them over it looks like it could be a PITA.

Can anyone give me a few helpful tips on the process? I have a few ideas, but would like to hear from someone who has experience.

Thanks

Last edited by Somervillebus; 07-18-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: I think this should have been under general oops cant move
Old 07-19-2010

Slim,

The only experience I had was replacing a pad on the rear of my '90. I had a tag tire blow out and it took the jack pad off. It was not too hard to pry the pad down with two 5' pry-bars and slip it in place.

Removing a pad can be made fairly easy by extending the jack, then sliping boards between the coils to keep it stretched. Release the jack and pry it up away from the pad.
Old 07-19-2010

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
I did a search on changing jack springs. I received a return call from HWH and ordered two sets of return springs for the front jacks. After looking them over it looks like it could be a PITA.

Can anyone give me a few helpful tips on the process? I have a few ideas, but would like to hear from someone who has experience.

Thanks
to get the springs off is not the problem. it is the install that is a pain in the butt.
on the remove part i run a rope in the spring and tie off both ends somewhere on the underside. this will keep the spring from hitting you as it comes off. take a bar or large screwdriver and pry off the top of the spring. the bottom is in and eye and will stay in place.

now for replacing the spring. i have tried all different way to reinstall the springs but the best way for me is to cut some small wedges. after making the wedges i streach the spring. you can do this between two cars, a car and a tree or the best way is with a come-a-long between a car and dead man the other end to a tree. you may have two trees close and use a chain with the come-a-long and a chain on the other end. may not have explained it just right but i think you get the idea.
now for the wedges. make them about 1/2" wide and 3/4" long. the thickness needs to be about 1/4" or so. no rocket science here. if i recall right i used about 30 or so per spring. make sure you put them 180 degrees apart along the spring to keep the spring straight.

have a good day
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Old 07-19-2010

I just did my two front jacks Sat. After fixing the jacks I installed them on the BB and pushed up my kick-down jacks and place a large block of wood to hold them up in the stowed position under the foot. I hooked the springs to the foot and the top spring holder bar, then using two large, long screw drivers (one in each hand) slip one side in place and work the other spring under and over to the other side, then up and over the second spring holder. We also tried to put a chain on the top of the spring and pull from behind me as I worked the spring over, this helped a little.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 07-19-2010
Gardner

What I do is this: (but mine is an FC, I am not familiar wiht the LXI jacks)

The springs on my front jacks are connected by a rod at the top that goes across the top. I get one spring on the lower attachment with the rod tilted down on that side, Then I put a heavy tie-wrap around the attachment loop on the bottom of the remaining spring. Set the size of the tie wrap loop to allow you to do the following. I use a long and strong screwdriver through the tie-wrap loop and resting on the foot of the jack. I am able to streach the spring and line it up very easily. I can tap the upper cross rod with a mallet while streachig the spring to get seated it in place. Trying to hook the spring with tools pulling directly on the loop is not the way to go. The tie wrap allows you to turn it easily to get it hooked, and it won't slip off the tie-wrap. Just keep the screwdriver well planted on the foot of the jack.

I tried several ways, and this works the best. I suggest a strong tie-wrap, not thin junky ones.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey