Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroosmd View Post
My set up is different. It is set up as two seperate groups of two batteries per group. One group goes to the starter and the other is the 12v on board system. This is my understanding of it.

The pictured set up appears to be one group of four batteries that connects at one point for the postive and negative to two sets of cables? the two sets of cables being the starter and the on board house 12v system?

This set up seems like it would be better for start up and running the on-board 12v system because you are getting a bunch more amps, especially if my batteries are undersized as has been pointed out in the thread.

Is my understanding correct?
I think mine is like yours...I haven't had a chance to trace the cables yet but at least at the battery tray they are wired independently (2 banks of 2 6 volt batteries). Next time I'm at the bird and have time I plan on tracing the positive cables and seeing where they go. FYI, my batteries are stored 2x2, not the 3x1 as shown in the picture...
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 06-27-2013

Quote:
My set up is different. It is set up as two seperate groups of two batteries per group. One group goes to the starter and the other is the 12v on board system. This is my understanding of it.

The pictured set up appears to be one group of four batteries that connects at one point for the postive and negative to two sets of cables? the two sets of cables being the starter and the on board house 12v system?

This set up seems like it would be better for start up and running the on-board 12v system because you are getting a bunch more amps, especially if my batteries are undersized as has been pointed out in the thread.

Mine is also connected as 2 sets of six volt batteries connected together to make 12 volts, but, following those 2 12v+ cables through the back of the battery box, they then connect to a common terminal which serves both the house and engine. I believe this is the way most of the FC's are connected, although I know some people have added another bank of 12 V (or large single 12V) batteries for starting. Never heard of anybody separating them into two banks using the original 4 6V Batteries. I believe to do that would be counterproductive, but when people get to tinkering ANYTHING is possible.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 06-28-2013

Quote:

What was pictured as well as the diagram shows the 4 batteries connected to give 12v ( 2 each in series, then those 2 sets in parallel ) from just one positive cable and one negative. This is how they were set up from the factory with 4 6v batteries doing both start and house duties.
If yours is set up as you said, with the start and house separate, you would need to find which set of two are used for start, then you could charge those two with an external 12v charger on the positive and negative terminals that are not connected to each other in that 2 battery set.
In the first diagram, for example, it would be the bottom left for positive and the bottom right for negative . Nothing from the charger would be hooked up to the center + and - terminals that are connected to each other.
Once you get the coach up and running by getting the system purged of air, you may want to rewire the batteries back to the factory set-up. It will pretty much double your boondocking battery time. You also would need to find out where the wires are attached coming from your on board charger and if that is working correctly as well.
I hope some of that makes sense.

Also, does your 3208 have the hand pump where the engine fuel filter is located ? If so, you can use that to get the air out of the lines without having to turn over the engine. There is a small T-handle valve down on the injection pump that can be opened to get air out. Even after doing that you may need to crack some injector lines.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 06-28-2013
Administrator

6 Volt deep cell storage batteries are not starting batteries.
If the batteries are split & two 6 volt batteries are tied together to make 12 volts, this will not start the 3208.
Four 6 volt batteries will start the 3208.
Old 06-28-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Do we have any WOG members near Grandville, MI (Grand Rapids) that can go help Kris. We might be confusing him with our HELP that we are trying to give him, there have been some things expressed here that are differing opinions and he may be trying to figure out which way to go.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-28-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Do we have any WOG members near Grandville, MI (Grand Rapids) that can go help Kris. We might be confusing him with our HELP that we are trying to give him, there have been some things expressed here that are differing opinions and he may be trying to figure out which way to go.

Grand Rapids area

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...I1MkMlMjUyME1J
Old 06-28-2013

Come on Bill, Road trip. Say it, road trip.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 06-28-2013

I checked earlier in the week, and I'm around 2 hours away from him. Unfortunately a bit too far what with my (very) limited free time these days.

I totally agree with John Finn. I am really concerned that we are totally confusing Kris, and an in person visit is in order.

To Kris: Don't worry. We'll get you back on the road. This stuff might sound complicated and a bit overwhelming, but you'll get the hang of it as time goes on. Don't give up!!
Linden, Michigan
Old 06-28-2013

Ok Kris, it looks like you are in Milwaukee. Plan on exiting I 94 at exit 26 in Indiana on your way home. I'm about 10 minutes south of that exit and will show you some of this stuff and more if you like.

Call me 219-771-ninety-four twenty-one.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 06-28-2013

David that would be great, there are a bunch of things on my bird that I have no idea what they are. I think we will be coming through Sun AM so I will figure that out and give you a call. THank you very much and I hope that it works out.
Cat 3208NA