Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-22-2013

Default Reality check Zero to 55 in 3 mins and 55 seconds?!?

My family and I have had a blast this summer in the "Hippo". My biggest issue is lack of speed and power. My son and I timed my bird from a dead stop to 55 mph and it took 3 minutes and 55 seconds. This seems excessive to me but have nothing to reference it to. Could I please see some replies letting me know if this is typical or excessively slow.

I don't need it to go 90 mph or have that expectation, this just seems overly slow.

I plan to bring it to a mechanic after Halloween as we are attending a State park wide party. I wanted to bring it sooner but can't stand taking it off the road during the summer months. In another post I talked about my fuel issues that I am still working through but my filters are not clogged up and the recor gauge reads from 0 to 2, depending on how much load (hill or no hill).
Cat 3208NA
Old 08-22-2013

I have never timed mine, but that sounds pretty slow to me, I know I get up to 50 in the length of a flat freeway on ramp (usually about 1/4 mile).
How does your exhaust look? Any black smoke at full throttle?
Also, check linkage to make sure you are actually getting full throttle.
I just floor it and keep it there until I get converter lockup and fourth gear.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 08-22-2013

Verify that the throttle cable moves the injection pump arm through it FULL travel. The air throttle update can and will make a marked improvement in engine response and greatly reduce driver fatique.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-22-2013

I've "clocked" mine at about 35 seconds to 50ish on a slight uphill in the middle of Iowa. Here's the video:
http://showcase.netins.net/web/reefp...es/wl/vid1.avi

Granted, I'm in a 250T bare but 3min+ sounds not so good at all to me. I'd think expecting something under a minute in normal conditions would be reasonable for a 35 with an NA. Mr. Finn surely knows for sure..

If it isn't the fuel feed, air feed, or accelerator linkage travel, perhaps your brakes are dragging, you have a lot of extra weight, or are at high elevation?
3208T 250hp
Allison MT-643
Rear End 5.29
Old 08-22-2013

I've noticed on my FC that there is a throttle "sweet spot" just below full throttle. If i hold it on the floor for a big hill I will lose speed pretty quick. If i find or hit the sweet spot i can hold MPH or gain 1 or 2. It took a while to get the feel for it. Jon Finn has a good write up about it also. Brian
1982 FC35 SB-----SOLD.
Old 08-22-2013

I had wondered/considered the brakes dragging too. Do not know how to test that. I am not pulling a trailer or car. We have stuff in the bird but nothing extreme. I don't even have water or waste water in it.

No smoke that I can see coming from the exhaust. I will check the throttle linkage and will search the air throttle upgrade comment.

I have gotten the finger so many times I had to explain to my 8 year old what it meant, at least the edited version. He suggested we make a big foam finger to wave back. Funny but I'd prefer to fix the issue.

I did remove the air cleaner lid and placed breathable material over the top to test getting more air and I gained 5 mph and pick up speed but the 3:55 was after doing that.

Im not sure I would know what to do if I got to 55 mph in 1 minute.
Cat 3208NA
Old 08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroosmd View Post
I had wondered/considered the brakes dragging too. Do not know how to test that.

Maybe run for a while then coast to a stop somewhere.

Feel the brakes, if one is dragging it will be hotter than the others...

Might be safer to use a IR thermometer! Dont burn your hands ;}

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!

Last edited by konehd; 08-22-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 08-22-2013

Great idea, I have an temp probe for my Fluke. geez, I wish I had thought of that. ah, well.
Cat 3208NA
Old 08-22-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Nyhof View Post
I've noticed on my FC that there is a throttle "sweet spot" just below full throttle. If i hold it on the floor for a big hill I will lose speed pretty quick. If i find or hit the sweet spot i can hold MPH or gain 1 or 2. It took a while to get the feel for it. Jon Finn has a good write up about it also. Brian

Here it is from Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine > Throttle Sweet Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, I have noticed on my 'Bird that there seems to be SWEET SPOT in the throttle position, where it seems to develop the most power and speed, it is most noticeable when I'm running in the hills similar to what I encounter when I leave here in the Columbia, SC area heading north on Interstate 77 up to Charlotte, NC. Since I have driven this particular route numerous times, I know just when to use my SWEET SPOT.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/101137034

What I men by the SWEET SPOT is if I back out of the throttle ever so slightly, rather than holding it all the way to the floor, I seem to carry more speed up to and over the top of the hills, but it takes a different mind set to remind myself to back out of the throttle to that sweet spot, it is a strange feeling when I let up off of the throttle and the speed is maintained for a longer distance on the hills, rather than with I STAND ON the throttle holding it firmly on the floor and it loses speed quicker. This takes some experimenting to find that SWEET SPOT, but it works for me. I find that the more often that I drive my 'Bird the easier it is to get into that frame of mind, because when I let the 'Bird set for an extended period of time, it takes a while, practice, practice...........practice!!!

I first encountered this when I was traveling from Montana to Wisconsin last year and I had a lot of not so very steep hills to cross and it was after that I started to remind myself to try it on larger hills, now when it comes to mountain grades, I just get out the sundial and relax

Also check out;

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-22-2013

Course you could always add an electric turbo...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWIN-ELECTRI...c267ad&vxp=mtr

Just kidding ;}

/Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!