Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 03-29-2014

Default Waxing

Just an observation: You don't really Love your 'bird til you've spent a week compounding and waxing and polishing her by hand. Just sayin...

Now, for the question... cause i've always gotta do it the hard way first and then ask...

what's the best color restore you've found? the best wax? the best method?

just curious...
Get a free night
(Only in your Wanderlodge!)
@
www.TexasStarRVranch.com
Old 03-29-2014

I'm lazy (efficient) so I just dump a whole jug of wash-n-wax into a 5 gallon tub of water and use a brush on a pole. One tub for each side.
Old 03-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Just an observation: You don't really Love your 'bird til you've spent a week compounding and waxing and polishing her by hand. Just sayin...

Now, for the question... cause i've always gotta do it the hard way first and then ask...

what's the best color restore you've found? the best wax? the best method?

just curious...
I just gave Dri Wash N Guard a try - happy with the results so far - normal 3 day process down to 7 hours. I need to see how long it will last as compared to previous method. Time savings may justify in any case.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 03-29-2014
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

If you keep it waxed, it is easier to keep clean and easier to rewax. We buy towels from the dollar store and wax from Oreilles. I have a guy that works for me who is a sheet rocker by trade, so he has stilts. He can go wash and wax mine in a couple of hours. And that is hand applied. We do this a couple of times a year and we keep the coach inside.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-29-2014
Forum owner

I have my boys at the car wash we own wash and wax with Maquires wax.
$4 per foot,hand wash and wax!

slick as a babys butt!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-29-2014

When I first got the coach I took it to Ziebart and had there coating put on it. I don't recall the name of it but it was guaranteed for 10 years of wear. That amounts to maybe a 100 years worth on the coach because the guarantee was set up for a normal car or pick up truck. My coach is inside all the time I'm not using it. About 2 times since the Ziebart treatment I have waxed it. One of the guys here suggested Rejex and I use it. I love the stuff. It is expensive but worth it. I put it on my Harley, and when we go for our Wild Hogs rides the other guys are amazed at how good the stuff is. In the morning we will get ready to go, and the other guys are out wiping off the due on their bike and the bugs they picked up are stuck like glue. I will go out, take a dry rag and wipe it down and you won't see one bug stuck to the bike. They just come right off. Another thing about the wax is that it goes one easy and comes off easy. Not like some that you almost have to take a chisel to, to get it of. It will re-haze on you after you first wipe it off, but a quick wipe off the next day will take care of it. During a normal cleaning I use one of those brushes with a hose attachment and only use the water to wash the coach. I then take my 300 mph leaf blower and blow most of the coach dry and finish it up with some terry cloth towels. Harsh detergents not only take of the dirt but the wax too. Stay away from that unless you are wanting to strip it and start over. The plain water treatment is the best if you have a good quality wax on the coach. You can buy the Rejex on Skygeek.com If you buy it, don't buy the gallon size. I thought since the coach was so big I would need that much. WRONG! A gallon of that stuff will do a 747 I think If you get a gallon go in with somebody and split it. A half gallon will last you a long time.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-29-2014

Default Skeptical but now believer!

After reading a lot on the irv2 forum about using Red Max Pro #3 Hi-gloss floor polish, last fall I tried it on my SOB using a substitute product called ZAP. A gallon of the stuff is only $8 at Home Depot! My rig is all gel coat fiberglass but the forum posts say it works on painted metal too. The procedure (click here and see post #17) is simple, quick and requires NO elbow grease. I painted the dark blue stripes and the red is a decal, but the wider swath of light blue trim was left original. As shown in the before & after pictures below, everything was badly oxidized and faded to start but it looks almost new after the ZAP "rehab". So far, reliability has been outstanding with bugs rinsing off as if the surface is Teflon coated and the strong Arizona sun has had little effect. Application involves no buffing or hand "waxing" and like Jim's Rejex, the stuff goes a long way. The irv2 posts say maintenance involves a single reapplication once a year, again with absolutely NO buffing or "waxing". Yes, I know it sounds too good to be true but so far I'm a believer. When I finally get my BB, guess what I will be trying?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	27879   Click image for larger version

Name:	During1.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	27881   Click image for larger version

Name:	During2.JPG
Views:	203