Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-23-2017
Tired and now Retired!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
You have the "old" grandfathered unlimited plan. For now, you are still safe with your plan. Verizon is attempting to do away with the old unlimited plans that still exist.

The new "unlimited" plan just offered is not even close to the same. Totally different. This is being discussed many places on the internet.

Here is just one of the sources:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/the...eek-in-review/
I tried to reply to this but it did not show up.
Basically, all the "reviews" I read before switching used phrases like "may", "subject to", "could", etc.
Even your link uses "subject to".
To me this means they have not tried it and therefore do not know for a fact.
Verizon does say it "may" prioritize you behind other users if you use a lot of data, but T-Mobile says the same thing.
During all the months we have used over 200GB, I have never noticed a slowdown. I periodically checked and my speed at Jacksonville was always between 50-65MBPS.
Give me a few weeks to get over 200GB and I will give you a "real world" review as to Verizon Unlimited limits.
I hope you are not correct!
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 02-23-2017

According to a pay service site I am on, the just released Verizon unlimited plan has not yet started the reduction of service over the gig limits. (Marketing got ahead of the working end).

Note: the old grandfathered unlimited is still truly unlimited, at least for now.

So according to the paid site, the reduction will occur in the future (for sure on heavily used overloaded towers).

In our travels, we can tell a tower is overloaded when we are close to the tower with line of site, but it is slow, especially during certain hours.

Now imagine on that same tower many users streaming videos, movies, etc. Unworkable with todays infrastructure. Hopefully upgrades and technology will give us all true unlimited nation wide in the future.

That's the best info I have currently. I kept my Verizon 50 gig data plan for now. It would be cheaper for me if the unlimited plan truly pans out.

I'll follow up with another way to get high gig service for a decent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
I tried to reply to this but it did not show up.
Basically, all the "reviews" I read before switching used phrases like "may", "subject to", "could", etc.
Even your link uses "subject to".
To me this means they have not tried it and therefore do not know for a fact.
Verizon does say it "may" prioritize you behind other users if you use a lot of data, but T-Mobile says the same thing.
During all the months we have used over 200GB, I have never noticed a slowdown. I periodically checked and my speed at Jacksonville was always between 50-65MBPS.
Give me a few weeks to get over 200GB and I will give you a "real world" review as to Verizon Unlimited limits.
I hope you are not correct!
Old 02-23-2017

AT&T 250 gig per month for $60, 500 gig for $100. "Maybe".

Designed for rural areas in sticks and bricks houses in specific states. Some RVers have successfully ordered this in other states, and are using it right now. I have ordered this, and it has been delivered to my mail forwarder in Box Elder SD. My mail forwarder shipped it to me here in TX yesterday. In a couple of days I can report back.

This device is paperback book sized, can hook a normal home phone into it, uses ONLY 110-120 volt for power, does have a battery backup. Not designed for RVers, designed for houses in rural areas.

Also, FYI, some who received the device have called back to AT&T and dropped the phone part of the plan for a $10 reduction in billing. Then becomes $50 for 250 gig, $90 for 500 gig. Others gave gone into AT&T physical store to prove military retired (or other business affiliations) for an additional 10-15% reduction. Some AT&T cell phone folks have been able ro reduce the cost on this plan as well.

https://forums.att.com/t5/The-DIRECT...h/td-p/5072128

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4805...87803166345953

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...b-for-60month/

If you want to chance a order Call the AT&T 1-888-333-6651 number and ask sales for it. Use plan code: "250gbwhpi". The device is $199 with no contract, or free with 2 year contract, but one time fee of $45. You may have to call more than once to get sales rep to sell it to you (or even find it). Be forewarned, they will try to upsell cell phones and other service such as Ipads.
Old 02-23-2017

More on the "unlimited" plans: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/res...data-carriers/

Also the Verizon "XL" plan changes: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...er-data-plans/
Old 06-23-2017

I was planing on buying the OTR version of the WeBoost. My question is about the inside antenna range. My wife and her friends like to sit outside in the morning around the fire pit and share pictures, Facebook, etc. Can I hook this up to a router or extender?
Old 09-01-2017

With my fiberglass SOB that works. Perhaps if the inside antenna is near the curbside windows it would work for a steel bird as well.
2018 Subaru Crosstrek toad
Old 09-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantic View Post
I was planing on buying the OTR version of the WeBoost. My question is about the inside antenna range. My wife and her friends like to sit outside in the morning around the fire pit and share pictures, Facebook, etc. Can I hook this up to a router or extender?
I have the OTR installed, and have found the inside antenna's range to be very very small. What I've done is set my Verizon MiFi device right on top of the antenna. The device is tethered to my router (a WiFi Ranger GOac) which then broadcasts the boosted cell signal (via a WiFi network) throughout the bus... and surrounding areas.

This works pretty well for us, and would be my recommendation for anyone who has (or is considering) similar equipment.

1991 Wanderlodge sp36
2000 Wrangler Sahara
Bluebird maps - user#450
Old 09-02-2017

We do it the same, with a WeBoost 4G-X stubby antenna on roof and "Hershey Bar" antenna inside. The Hershey Bar antenna is placed directly next to or under our AT&T rural area box (mentioned above). The AT&T box then provides excellent wifi range inside and outside the coach. Our backup is a T-Mobile iPhone w/ Bluetooth tethering to our iPads. If using that method, again the Hershey Bar antenna is placed directly under the phone. More than a foot or two away from the device is too much. During our summer Casper trip we found this combo worked perfectly everywhere for data, voice & text except deep inside Yellowstone NP. Inside YNP we were limited to text & voice only, but that may be by design so the park vendor makes $$ on their data service. In many areas there would be no usable cell signal at all without the WeBoost turned on. Going from nothing to 3-4 bars in the extremely remote areas we traveled through was sometimes amazing!
Old 03-01-2019

I learned about something available for free to Sprint users last week, thought I'd share.

Last month something must have changed about the coverage in my area, all of a sudden I was dropping about 50% of my calls in my home, home office. I called and complained that my business line can't have this kind of spotty service. Sprint confirmed I was within "fair" on their coverage map, then offered to send me something called a magic box at no charge. Took about a week to arrive, set up was simple and I went from 1-2 bars to 5 bars full LTE throughout my 3500 sq. ft. house. This thing is kind of large say 14"X10"X4" but small enough to be portable, plus it runs on 120V AC or 12V DC. Guess what just got added to the packing list for RV trips?

So far Magic Box + Iphone 7 + Apple HDMI output cable have given streaming video on my TV most locals.
1972 Mercedes Benz 280SE 4.5
1978 Porsche 928
Old 03-01-2019

Thanks, Bill. It's good to know that these actually exist. I ordered one and never received it. I little while later when I went full time, I switched to Verizon. I heard about this device on Chris and Cherie's (Technomadia) mobile internet site. Here is a good write up about it:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/spr...f-you-qualify/

This is a good site to follow if you rely on Internet on the road.
1996 Geo Tracker "Hummingbird" a.k.a. Hummer