Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-26-2017

I'm with Larry on this one. We had the old one that came with the bus when we bought it. It was OK but had a lot to be desired. Couldn't see replacing it until I had to. So a little over a year ago, we were on a trip and the darn thing wouldn't drain. No matter what I did, it wasn't gong to work. Told Michele just leave it alone until we get home so I can tear into it. Got home, pulled the lint filter plug, drained it into a pan. Took the clothes out, and tore into what might be the problem. Never did get it to work right. PPL had the newest model on sale for $900 free shipping. Heck of a deal. Ordered it, put it in and it works great. Michele said that it holds much more and dries much faster. She loves the new one.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-26-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

It is always different strokes for different folks. We thought we wanted to take ours out for more storage when we got the coach, but we tried it first and we love it. Some are saying it takes to long to dry but when it is in on cycle, who care if it takes and hour instead of 30 minute. I believe ours uses about 12 gal per load. When we are in Ft Pickens there is not sewer at the site so have to tote to dump, one tote per load. If ours broke, I would certainly replace it.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 02-26-2017

On the vented units, if you want faster drying, and to prevent overheat error codes, it is a good idea to clean out the rubber boot at back of the Splendide drier exhaust once in a while.

For us as full-timers with pet hair that gets on clothes and ends up as drier lint, once in a while means at least once a year, or when drying starts to take longer, and for sure if we get overtemp warning with flashing lights.

I have found the easiest and most thorough for us is as follows:
- Pull unit far enough out of cabinet to be able to access back top exhaust duct.
- Have a small step stool to stand on, flashlight, flat blade and Philips screw driver, and LONG needle nose pliers.
- Remove exhaust duct with flat screwdriver.
- Remove hard plastic outer ring with Philips.
- Pull inner drier rubber duct out slightly for better angle, use LONG needle nose, reach into the rubber duct to bottom, pinch with the needle nose, and pull it back out. If you have a lint ball it will pull it out.

I do the needle nose pinch 4-5 times until no lint comes out. Shine light down duct and see if any lint remains.

Alternative method I find to not be as effective:
Close washer drier door. Insert garden hose into the inner rear rubber duct. Turn hose on and reverse flush the lint back into the wash drum. Use flashlight to verify lint gone. Now run drain cycle on washer and flush the lint out the drain hose. When cycle complete, pick out lint remaining in drum.

If you have a older machine that is used a lot, and never done this, you should. Your dry times will be reduced.

What Splendide says:
PROCEDURE FOR CLEARING LINT
FROM MACHINE’S INTERIOR DUCT

1. Run the unit without clothes and with the dry time off on cycle # 11.
2. When the water stops entering the unit push and hold the start button until all the lights come on then release the button.
3. Next, move the cycle knob to cycle # 2 and press the start button once (do not hold).
4. Let it run through that complete cycle.
5. Do this twice.

If in frequent use, do this once each month to avoid buildup.

If the above treatment fails, try it again, adding a cup of white vinegar to break down the deposited soap and fabric softener.

FALL BACK PROCEDURE
IF THE ABOVE PROCEDURE FAILS

1. Pull the unit out and remove flexible exhaust duct.
2. Pick out as much lint as you can from the air outlet on the back of the dryer.
3. Put a garden hose in the outlet and blow the blockage into the washer.
4. Run the washer on a short cycle. The blockage breaks up and goes out the drain.
Old 02-26-2017

hi dav
if your old washer works I would use it and see how it is ,,,, I used one in a 94 for couple years but I have learned once they start given you grief they need to go toooo old new washer is better all around and there are parts available for new washers
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 02-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
hi dav
if your old washer works I would use it and see how it is ,,,, I used one in a 94 for couple years but I have learned once they start given you grief they need to go toooo old new washer is better all around and there are parts available for new washers
mike
Hi Mike,

I think you've got the plan we are going to use. We'll use it infrequently for now and then more in a year or so when we quit work and spend more time on the road. Probably get a new one then. I'm going by the previous owner's word when I say that it works. I'm gonna take it out of the bus to actually put water in it and see. I've read too much about filling the bus with water from a faulty machine. Don't want to remove it just to find out, but REALLY don't want to flood the coach with water.

Appreciate all your replies. Dawn and I spent our Saturday evening reading about washing machines and having a great time doing it. Simple is good and life is great!

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 02-26-2017

Sounds like a fun Saturday, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Have you considered using one of these drain trays, I don't have a washer in mine so not sure how these would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-20752-W.../dp/B000PS8J64
Old 02-26-2017

I loved my washer
But it died and my swearheart who never used it said out with the trash
Now I have a nice closet to put all the junk in I'd usually never take with me
I replumbed the coach a few years ago
I did redo all the plumbing and drains
Why?
Because one day the love of my life will flippantly say it'd be nice if we had a washer/dryer
There will be a new Splendide vented unit in there before you can say seconds on shrimp and grits please!
The new units are nice, up to date, larger loads, less dry time, cheaper to buy than in the 90's
Besides good luck finding parts for the old one, mfg said they quit supplying parts for your unit 15 years ago give or take a few years
Old 02-27-2017
ANOTHER REDNECK

i put stacked in our 03 bought with military discount at home depot delivered to base!
1300 rpm to about dry before the dryer----------

they have the all in one there also

we hated the all in one version!!!!!!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 02-27-2017

If you need parts I might have them I took ours out last week it was leaking. I took it out part by part.
We are going with hand turn unit as well like Harold n Cat McMullen.

Here is what i have if you want any of it.

(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 02-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEd View Post
If you need parts I might have them I took ours out last week it was leaking. I took it out part by part.
We are going with hand turn unit as well like Harold n Cat McMullen.
G]

Ed: Thanks for the offer. Your flood is the reason that I removed the Splendide from the BMC today to test it. 10 minute job with the loader tractor. Sure enough, the cold water solenoid valve was stuck in the open position. The new machine will definitely have valves NOT buried behind a wall and they will be closed when not using.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)