Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 07-21-2019

That's a good idea, I bought mine a year or more ago and he still has a whole mess of them.
Old 08-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
<SNIP>There are permanent magnet gens available for wind power, but I question their build quality. Still researching this.
A wind generator on a 'bird, now you're talking!! They do it on sailing yachts, why not a land yacht?
Old 08-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Kilowhat, kilowatt, electro, reddy kilowatt might work.

Thread derail (as if)! Find all 3 dogs, win no prizes! A hard day of doing nothing for them today, but we were out in the heat all day.

"That's a lot of watts"

And the pups are sleepervising. Ours do a good job of that, too, usually in the kitchen during dinner prep!
Old 08-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
"That's a lot of watts"

And the pups are sleepervising. Ours do a good job of that, too, usually in the kitchen during dinner prep!
Yup, the biggest one likes the biggest spot in the kitchen since he can't get on the couch any more.

Wattcha doin?
Old 08-07-2019

This was a nice read! Finally finished it. Very interesting the things you've done with your 'bird. When we get one, I'll try to remember this thread.

While I've messed with Raspberry Pi's before, I'd probably never do what you've done. I tried to get one to work as a nice little home fileserver, but since I was out of network ports, had to use the wifi, which I could never get to stay on all the time. W/O a monitor and keyboard attached, I had to power-cycle it to get it to get back on the network. That project has been shelved for now.

Thanks for sharing your project.
Old 08-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
This was a nice read! Finally finished it. Very interesting the things you've done with your 'bird. When we get one, I'll try to remember this thread.

While I've messed with Raspberry Pi's before, I'd probably never do what you've done. I tried to get one to work as a nice little home fileserver, but since I was out of network ports, had to use the wifi, which I could never get to stay on all the time. W/O a monitor and keyboard attached, I had to power-cycle it to get it to get back on the network. That project has been shelved for now.

Thanks for sharing your project.
I'm a geek, but this setup is actually very reliable. Before I decided to upgrade it to a Pi 4 (from the Pi 3) it had been running continuously for about 5 months. Getting the data in/out of it is actually really easy using Node-Red. The most time-consuming part, by far, is just making the touch-screen interface screens. It's all Javascript and I don't do much of that stuff so it's a lot of trial and error to figure it out. I end up doing most of the stuff on my phone now.

I added a wired network of temperature sensors this week so I can monitor and control freeze protection. I put sensors on the cold water lines under the kitchen sink, along side the bed chases, one by the pumps under the bed, another right on the line from the shore connection, and one in the bathroom. I also added one outside, and I am working on operating the stock temp readout in the overhead dash up front.
Old 08-11-2019

Cool stuff you are doing.
How will you control freeze protection? Will you a boiler loop?
Ex-PT36
Old 08-11-2019

I have an electric heater under the bed for the tanks/pumps area and another one for the hot water heater area. For the milder times I'll run the circ pump to fire up the hot water heater. In about 30 seconds of running it should heat up all the areas around all of the water piping. I did a little testing today and it easily heats up the cold water pipes since I ran them all together. The worst spot for the cold to come in is actually on the shore connection, which is under the hwh. The check valve is right behind the hose connection and no insulation whatsover.
Old 08-12-2019

Mercedes is back making a new inline gas 3L 6 cylinder.
The starter/generator is mounted in the front, looks like inline with the crankshaft.
When you want quick acceleration, the starter is energized to provide hp until the turbo gets up to speed.
The vehicles they are installing it in are heavy, so not used for performance cars it seems.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...es-inline-six/
Old 08-12-2019

I think the 48v starter/gen mild hybrid thing is going to be a pretty common setup. It's actually on more vehicles than it seems because nobody really does any marketing on them.