Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-12-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
(A) Changing toad lights to LED's will drop the current load on the system. LED's on the bus are also a good idea, keeping in mind you may need to keep some filament bulbs in the system to create enough load to activate the flashers.
KC,

I used a no load LED Flasher that has a built in load, just R&R the flasher, and maybe like on mine you will have to attach a ground wire that is coming from the flasher itself, it works great with both the 'Bird and trailers 11 LED turn signals per side (R&L) working off of it*.

I just ordered another one for a spare http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EF32R...Q5fAccessories

*My no load LED Flasher activates one of the White-Rogers solenoids for the turn signals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NO LOAD LED TURN SIGNAL FLASHER.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	7243   Click image for larger version

Name:	white%20rogers.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	7244  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-12-2010

John,
Great info. I have never knew that thing existed, although I should have known with all the LED stuff available for autos. See what happens when you are exiled to your garage for years and not permitted to associate with normal people . If I promise to behave myself mama lets me in the house once or twice a week - to pet the dog and maybe molest the cat if she ain't lookin'. Anyway, I have a couple of questions regarding the no load flasher installation. Will this flasher work with standard lamps or are you locked in to LED's?. Can you mix std. & LED? In your set up I assume you only tow your trailer. I may be towing different vehicles or trailers at different times which still presents a possible problem with additional standard type lamps. I see no reason a relay system would not work satisfactory in either situation. Sort of a safety net - back up - redundant - Bluebird philosophy. Please correct me if I am misguided, misinformed, wrong, ignorant, stupid, dumb, silly, pig headed, big headed, or any other complimentary phrase you can thing of . Me tinks I will tinker the relay system first then move on to LED's when built up wallet time reoccurs. Gotta take out another mortgage in order to fuel up for next trip .
"Bordering On Adequate"

Last edited by KCSS; 11-12-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: addl. info
Old 11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSS View Post
John,
I have a couple of questions regarding the no load flasher installation. Will this flasher work with standard lamps or are you locked in to LED's?. Can you mix std. & LED? In your set up I assume you only tow your trailer..
I really can't answer that with first hand experience.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-13-2010

they will work with standard bulbs

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 11-13-2010

The writing is on the wall, LEDs these days are SO much better. Fixing to hack up some tailights just so I insert led modules behind the stock lenses and can blind anyone following my mother down the road. The old Hellas she has (odd size) are really pitiful. Already done clearance lights, much nicer appearance at night.

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 11-13-2010

I'm off to see the God Father of PT's this morning. We'll talk about these tail lights flashers and all things related. I'm thinking KC that in my case maybe one of the things (perhaps the first thing) to do is to switch over to LED lights. Maybe that would be all that's needed???? Wonder if Stephen has LED tail lights for my 87? Guess if I ask he'll tell me.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-13-2010

Anything you can do to reduce the power demands will be a good thing. Also your batteries and charging system will thank you Christmas is coming.

PS - Don't weld the lights in
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 11-13-2010

KC. I wouldn't weld the lights on. I'd weld them OFF. My wife doesn't know that light switches have an off position. Something I complain (and that wasn't the word I really wanted to use) about all the time.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 11-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
The writing is on the wall, LEDs these days are SO much better. Fixing to hack up some tailights just so I insert led modules behind the stock lenses and can blind anyone following my mother down the road. The old Hellas she has (odd size) are really pitiful. Already done clearance lights, much nicer appearance at night.

Ken,

First of all I don't know what the lens looks like on your coach's lights, but before you go to that trouble, I'd like to mention that I basically did the same thing thinking that the first less expensive and just as bright LEDS that I used would fit my needs for brighter Stop/Turn/Tail lights, just insert a that LED light behind the stock lens so I could retain the stock look, but I found out that due to the way that the stock taillight lens was designed to enhance the incandescent bulbs didn't enhance or even allow the LED's to sufficiently do their job, in fact they were worse off with the stock lens in front of them, that is why I chose to just replace the complete stock lights with LED's.

I did however use the stock side turn signals complete light assembly and inserted LED bulbs in them as they gave me what I needed at quite a savings in comparison to what the same light but in a LED model would have cost me a $40.00 per light difference, all of this was discussed at;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical > LED lights

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-09-2010

Me tinks I will tinker the relay system first then move on to LED's when built up wallet time reoccurs. Gotta take out another mortgage in order to fuel up for next trip .[/QUOTE]

4 pack relay system completed and installed. (3 being used plus 1 spare). I am now able to tow most anything without having to worry about overloading the circuit. (I currently have 12 additional filaments to power on my enclosed trailer – may add 4 more). I can try to post pictures anyone is interested.
When built up wallet time reoccurs the LED’S will have to take a back seat. Need to replace 4 drive tires. Did I say mortgage or reverse mortgage. Need to have monthly income account dedicated to BB maintenance & fuel.
"Bordering On Adequate"