Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 06-18-2011

Default Entry Door Limit Strap

The strap pulled out at the door end. In taking the door apart it was found that the strap was attached by three self tapping screws (only two remained) into a thin 1/16" thick sheet of aluminum. (An unusual underbuilt item on a Blue Bird.)

Repaired by reflattening the aluminum and sliding a doubler in behind the sheet of aluminum, then installing three rivnuts so machine screws could be used.

It ain't cummin out agin. Pix attached.

Love those rivnuts! Next job is to install rivnuts on the main awning mount to eliminate the sheet metal screws, some of which were stripped and had to be temporarily sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	644.7 KB
ID:	10801   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	653.0 KB
ID:	10802  
Old 06-18-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
The strap pulled out at the door end. In taking the door apart it was found that the strap was attached by three self tapping screws (only two remained) into a thin 1/16" thick sheet of aluminum. (An unusual underbuilt item on a Blue Bird.)

Repaired by reflattening the aluminum and sliding a doubler in behind the sheet of aluminum, then installing three rivnuts so machine screws could be used.

It ain't cummin out agin. Pix attached.

Love those rivnuts! Next job is to install rivnuts on the main awning mount to eliminate the sheet metal screws, some of which were stripped and had to be temporarily sealed.
Ron, I have the awning mount issue too. Love to see some pics of your fix when you get to it.
Old 06-18-2011
Former Bird Owner

Thanks to the dregs of Hurricane Ike in Ohio, I had a similar failure of the limit strap.

While driving along the interstate, I heard the -small- awnings on the curb side sound like they were opening up part way, then winding back up. Puzzled and concerned that the large awning might have become unlatched, I pulled over to inspect. I opened the door, the wind caught it and I was flung out of the coach onto the ground. The door exceeded its normal travel -- but fortunately the hinges held and nothing (aside from the limit strap) was damaged.

That was the first I realized that there were significant winds blowing that day! I was then able to understand that the vehicle speed coupled with the strong wind was causing the small awnings to partially open up, then snap shut. (Later, I heard it reported that there were gusts to 70 mph). The notable aspect was that the coach had been handling normally with only a little wind buffeting as I'd experienced before on windy days. My workload in driving the coach was not higher than usual. I had noticed that the big trucks did seem to have a little more weave and wander than usual.

AFter the inspection and realization about the high winds, I dropped my cruising speed from 70+ down to about 55-60 and the problems with the awnings went away.

Ultimately, I repaired the mounting of the limit strap with a similar method of strengthening (but I didn't use rivnuts) by placing a doubling piece and using small bolts with lock washers to hold the strap in place. I, too, was struck with surprise that the generally "overbuilt" 'bird had such a flimsy mounting for the limit strap.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 06-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Ron, I have the awning mount issue too. Love to see some pics of your fix when you get to it.
David,

I plan on getting to it in August. Too much on the plate until then. I'll document it with pictures and the unforeseen challenges that will undoubtedly occur. It seems to be pretty straightforward.