Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 09-02-2011

Default How Fast?

How fast do some of you more experienced kind of wilder drivers drive? Now that I have about 1000 miles under my belt, I could see some people really hauling it down the road. Seems like cruising at 100 would no issue.

I won't be doing it for about a million reasons (see angry redhead amongst those), but I do wonder what some people may do.
Fruita Colorado
Old 09-02-2011

when i was still working we traveled at about 70 we were always in a hurry as vacation time was short we never really enjoyed the trip-4 lane and haul the mail!!....i'm retired now i like to run 62-65 and we enjoy the trip not just the destination...if we see a 2 lane with some neat scenery, attraction ect. that the bird can travel (no low over pass. ect) we will be there . sometimes slower is better
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 09-02-2011
Administrator

We are happy at 62 /65, A more relaxing drive, the 3208 is happy, with traffic and the crazy drivers on the road, we need to control, slow and stop this tank.
Old 09-02-2011
davidmbrady

63 mph.

One of the great things about being King of the Road in a Wanderlodge, is that no one can push you around - you set the pace.
Old 09-02-2011

Default starting a dead sp

My license plate is " GOSLOW"
1973 GMC Motorhome
804-426-1592
Old 09-02-2011

Default How Fast?

All:

I agree that when you are as big (almost) as an 18 wheeler, you can drive anyway you want.

I drive between 60 and 65 on the interstate and 50-55 (if permitted) on the regular roads. Three reasons, 1. Seems my bird runs smoother and cooler and happier and the driver is less stressed. 2) get better fuel mileage. 3. I feel its a better "defensive driving" technique.

BTW heading up I 75 towards Atlanta last Sunday, a matched pair of great big coaches (the kind made in Canada ) passed by me running at least 80-90.

Well, I do declare not more than 5 miles up the road, there were a matched pair of state troopers that had pulled over the matched pair of the great big Canadian made coaches. The devil made me do it - I could not help it, I honked my horns and waved as I passed by.
Old 09-02-2011

The tires on my coach are rated at 75 mph top speed. She'll go faster and it has. 85+ is not uncomfortable and actually she handles very well. But going fast is never the problem. Stopping fast is the problem. They DON'T ! If you lose a tire at that speed then your rolling the dice as to the outcome, usually it's not good. The sweet spot for my coach is in the low to mid 60's. Best fuel mileage, less heat in everything, tires, engine cooling, drivability etc. Most Birds can fly, Not all of them land gracefully. Like in flying, Take offs are optional, Landings are mandatory. One thing we never talk about is how well these coach's are able to stop. I've practiced panic stops. You can put her nose in the asphalt, hang on it is exhilarating, it doesn't take much to eat up three lanes of interstate, my point is don't go faster than your comfortable in a panic stop, your toes are only a few inches away from the front of the coach, rear ending something as big as me is the only thing that bothers me about a bus. So learn how well she can stop then adjust your driving to keep away from anything that can be considered a hazard. It's your job to keep her under control, Screaming passengers will take the edge off any gains you make by going too fast. Slow and steady wins the race every time. Besides you've got the best seat on the bus enjoy it.
Old 09-02-2011

Well, we've had our bird for 10 years now. Been all around the country several times and are now full timers. We have found that 62-65 MPH on the interstate is a good, safe speed. Plus we get better mileage. Offers better control and shorter stopping distance. Plus she uses less oil since the RPM's are around 17 to 18 hundred. Just for kicks one day, I decide to she what she'd top out at. Wide open on I-75 in Florida, not pulling a toad of my trailer, she actually buried the speedo. Numbers stop at 80 and we were past that. So we were going somewhere between 80 and 90. Only did this ONCE, just to see what she'd do.
I can only imaginable what kind of MPG we would get sustaining speeds like that.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 09-02-2011
ANOTHER REDNECK

around 4.3 mpg !!!!

Just guessing HAHAHA
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
All:

I agree that when you are as big (almost) as an 18 wheeler, you can drive anyway you want.

I drive between 60 and 65 on the interstate and 50-55 (if permitted) on the regular roads. Three reasons, 1. Seems my bird runs smoother and cooler and happier and the driver is less stressed. 2) get better fuel mileage. 3. I feel its a better "defensive driving" technique.

BTW heading up I 75 towards Atlanta last Sunday, a matched pair of great big coaches (the kind made in Canada ) passed by me running at least 80-90.

Well, I do declare not more than 5 miles up the road, there were a matched pair of state troopers that had pulled over the matched pair of the great big Canadian made coaches. The devil made me do it - I could not help it, I honked my horns and waved as I passed by.
Tommy,
Shame on you, that sounds just like something I would do. I been getting other people in trouble for racing ever since I was in High School and only one time did I get stopped myself. Only a $10.00 ticket, Ahh, the good old days, no such thing as a $10.00 ticket now.
Dave

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)