Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-12-2011

Default Honda EU 2000i inverter use???

Some on this forum use this generator as a backup if the big generator fails (mostly those who own buses made in the 80's-I think). Is it safe for me to use one (or 2 tied together-for 30 amp service) in a 1997 BB? I don't know enough about electricity to answer this question. Do I need to bypass the 2 Trace inverters/chargers in the bus before I use the Honda generator? Thanks for any advice!
Series 60 DD
Old 09-12-2011

I can't think of any reasons why you shouldn't use the Honda.
I had one with my toyhauler last year, and it puts out good clean power.
I will definetly be buying another one for next season to use with my coach as a back up, or even to just run during the the day, after the Onan charges the batteries up, then I will use the EU2000 to keep them charged during the day along with the electric fridge, and keep all the excess hours off my Diesel Gen.
Awesome little gen that almost runs for free.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 09-12-2011

I am definitely not an expert nor do I claim any expertise.

With a 2000 watt generator and dry camping without using any air conditioners, it is possible. I believe you would need a minimum of a 3000 watt generator to run one (1) air conditioner and then you would need to be careful with micro waves, hair dryers, etc.

If you hook up a battery charger to the generator and the house batteries, then that would work. Again, I have been told running an air conditioner on an inverter is not good. If you choose to run an air conditioner on the inverter system, then you would gradually drain your batteries. How long, I have no idea. If you hook up a battery charger to your house batteries, I do not know if there is anything that you need to do to the inverter/charger system in order to charge the house batteries using an external charger.

With that, you know everything that I think I know.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 09-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
Some on this forum use this generator as a backup if the big generator fails (mostly those who own buses made in the 80's-I think). Is it safe for me to use one (or 2 tied together-for 30 amp service) in a 1997 BB? I don't know enough about electricity to answer this question. Do I need to bypass the 2 Trace inverters/chargers in the bus before I use the Honda generator? Thanks for any advice!
No need to bypass the inverters in your bus. Only when disconnected from power are they are inverting. When they sense the ac from the generator they go into charger mode. BE SURE to use the control panels to set the input amperage so the chargers will not attempt to draw more power than your little generator can handle.

That said, why would one who has a working diesel generator carry an extra gas generator and gasoline? If you reduce the charging capacity of the battery bank so the little generator can handle charging it will need to run far longer than the big diesel generator thereby eliminating much if not all of the fuel savings. Please don't take this wrong, I am asking to learn why, not to judge.
Old 09-12-2011

As good on fuel as the diesel gens are, the little honda's use almost nothing and will run ALL day on a gallon of gas. I wouldn't be running AC units on it (although it fired up my 13,500 just fine), that's what your Diesel Gen is for, but for keeping things topped up, and the electric fridge running all day (if you have one), or just keeping it in the bay as a back up incase your diesel goes down.......it's perfect.
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 09-12-2011

There was a thread several months ago wrt using a small gas generator rather than the diesel gen. I have considered it but there are a few things that I just can't get around,

- gas storage in the bay of a bus is dangerous. The vapours will ignite easily. If you have an aquahot, or a primus you have a flame in the belly of the bus. I have seen a couple of buses (Prevosts) that have had fires in the bays due to gas storage. If you hall a trailer, or have another place to transport this is not a problem.
- The cost of the extra generator will buy a lot of diesel for the generator that you already have. My diesel generator doesn't get enough use as it is.

I like the idea of a really fuel efficient gen over the big one, but I can't do it when I consider the risks, and, I believe that in my case it will not really save me money when you consider the cost of buying and owning.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 09-12-2011

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...onda+generator

Here is the thread.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 09-12-2011
prone to wandering

I have had one of these Honda eu2000's for a few years and I love it. Other than its low cost of operation it is extremely quiet. It is even quiet enough to use with a PA system or similar application where background noise is an issue. I don't leave home without it, as they say
jimdoel@me.com
Old 09-12-2011

If you are running two (paralleled) the aftermarket dudes has a 6 gal gas tank that supplies the two. Works great.
Old 09-12-2011

We used a Coleman 1500W gas generator when we first purchased our WL. The 12.5 Kohler was working sporadically. Threw all the 120vac breakers & turned a breaker on as needed to run the water heater, battery chargers, micro, etc. Works OK if you manage your use. The water heater used the maximum current available but the generator heated the water in about 30 min. then the current was available for other loads. No way it would run an a/c. 2000 watts might be enough for newer a/c's that don't have a
high starting current.
Cat 3208ATAAC-300
12.5kw Kohler/Yanmar (w/slide)
"Magic carpet made of steel"
Steve Goodman 1970

"You never fail until you stop trying".