Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 12-26-2008

Default Engine/Trans failure? Why did it happen?

I am looking to purchase my first "real" motorhome, meaning substantial and solid. After studying and reading up on the Wanderlodge, it seems an obvious choice. I do not want some POS/SOB as I don't want to "move up later".

My concern is the possibility of a major engine failure on the road. I am very mechanically inclined, and realize that there are no guarantees. But, what is the primary cause of the old 3208 failing? I've seen a little about overspeed and a little about lack of maintenance. But I've also seen several for sale with "rebuilt" 3208's at what I would consider low mileage in the 120K +/- range.

Anyone have any stories from the school of hard knocks that they would care to share with a "wanna be"?
Old 12-26-2008
Administrator

Poor maintenance, motorhomes are not used on a regular basis. they sit too long. this leads to coolant issues, then heat kills engines.
Owners that are not knowledgeable of diesel engine maintenance.
If a coolant issue occurs an owner may drive too far, to get off of the road or they may not notice the gages.
My guess is mostly operator error.
Old 12-26-2008

If you buy a used BB with a older 3208, have new rod bearings rolled in the bottom end, and a valve adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Poor maintenance, motorhomes are not used on a regular basis. they sit too long. this leads to coolant issues, then heat kills engines.
Owners that are not knowledgeable of diesel engine maintenance.
If a coolant issue occurs an owner may drive too far, to get off of the road or they may not notice the gages.
My guess is mostly operator error.
Old 12-26-2008
Forum Moderator

Maustin when you get a moment would you put a signature together for the bottom of your emails. Your name, location and Wannabe would suffice. Mike Hohnstein is one of our resident 3208 experts and hopefully he'll comment.
Old 12-26-2008
ANOTHER REDNECK

in my90sp.....

the 300 hp cat got rebuilt because of a broke camshaft...its a good 1 for sale~!~!~! buy a broke engine bus~!

and i changed it because i didnt want to spend the $$$$ to fix the ZF at the dealer.......

figure that 1 out.......

Im just CUMMINS man!~
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 12-26-2008

Ya gotta stay on top of the coolant PH. Few owners do so things go south. Belts are another issue, they fall off, over heating happens, down hill after that. I'd want good documentation regarding in supposed 'new' engine claims if I was in the market. And that rascal would have to CLEAN under the engine cover. I'll say it again, if I was looking for an FC, 87 and newer would be on my short list as the fiber glass engine cover makes is possible to actually work on and correctly maintain the engine. The older steel and lead sheet lined mess it probably responsible for more than a few premature engine failures due to reluctance to deal with the unwieldly engine covers.
My 83 is up graded to a fiber glass engine cover, and I'm so glad.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 12-27-2008
Administrator

There are O rings or seals & heads, that absolutely do not like to be overheated. 3208 in usually an out of frame overhaul., Bearings, injectors, heads, injection pump can be replaces without removal.

The biggest problem is the loose Nut behind the steering wheel.
Try to find a conscientious ( maintenance )owner or a Forum member with a Bird or engine for sale.