Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-16-2015

Default Shore Power Cord Reel

My coach was built without, does someone have a p/n or mfg. info?
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 04-16-2015
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

This company makes some very good cable... I've worked with it. I'm pretty sure their cable reels are good quality too.

http://www.glendinningprods.com/indu...ts/cablemaster
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 04-16-2015
Forum owner

good stuff,nice people.
the LXIs use their products.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-17-2015

Default TRC CC50D01R

http://www.trci.net/products/shoreli...wer-cord-reels

As part of my Magnum inverter installation I discovered that my shore cable had three separate areas that were shorted or bad, all near the reel end of the cable. Although my coach came with a OEM TRC reel-cable, the cost of buying both reel & cable was not much more than replacement cable alone, so ordered one of these from PPL motorhomes in Houston (no tax shipped to AZ & $9 shipping):

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-cord-reel.htm

The new real only comes with a 4 foot pigtail plus it has a 35' cord rather than the old cord length of 38'. I called TRC direct to see if they could sell me one with a longer pigtail and they said no, since I wasn't a "coach builder". So I ordered the standard one with the shorter pigtail and fixed this as follows: mounted the reel beside the L2 reverse polarity "panel" & slid it to the left to give sufficient room between plastic motor housing on the right of the reel and the wrapped Hurricane exhaust pipe. Made a loop with about 3' of the pigtail to ease removal if needed and attached it with a clip to the panel beside the fuel tank. Then attached the end of that pigtail to my Progressive Industries 50a surge protector, which I mounted on the floor:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net...9-cece3ed26a1e

The surge protector remote is mounted just to the right of the old reverse polarity display in L2. You can see it in the picture below with the red display. Then used a 7'-8' length of the old shore cable to connect the output of the surge protector to the ATS in R1. This length of cable allowed me to route it Up and over the AUx and PDU electrical boxes. Was left with a good 20+ feet length of old shore cord that had no wire breaks and I put a female outlet on the end of it to make a nice 50 amp extension cord. My total available shore cord length is now more than 50'. Tips:

Shipping from PPL was fast
Pulling the old reel and cable was a pain (but you won't have to deal with that)
I installed mine without removing the batteries/box. It would be much easier if you temporarily remove them to give you space to work. Considered doing that and then rewiring the bank as suggested elsewhere (but didn't).
Find the parts including the TRC reel and Progressive surge protector at several retailers on the web.
Between the surge protector and the ATS, I routed the wire up and over the Aux Box which not gave me some room beside the battery box in the R1 bay.
You'll need 4 minimum of 2" x 1/4" bolts with washers & lock nuts to securely mount the reel and several large cable clamps.
Be careful when drilling the bay floor mounting holes to NOT penetrate the muffler and when drilling screw mounting holes for the cable clamps to NOT penetrate the fuel tank on the opposite side
Putting surge protector with remote behind reel was a pain since it is hard to reach for wiring. That's why I used a loop of the pigtail secured on the panel opposite the fuel tank.
Last and most important safety item - TURN ALL THE JUICE OFF before starting this project. That includes disconnecting (not just turning the disconnect switch handles to OFF) the batteries. You're dealing with lots of amps and volts DC & AC here. Mine was already disconnected as part of the inverter install and left it that way for this part of the project.

Good luck with your project!
Van

(Picture below of completed L2 electric/Hurricane bay. Click on pic when it first comes up to bring up in browser full/correct size)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	35061  

Last edited by NoGas; 04-17-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 04-17-2015

Thanks Van,
Nice work, I'll be copying��
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 04-17-2015
Geek

I severely damaged my cord in 2013 and likewise found that the cost of cord/reel was not much more than a good cord. Bought the same one as Van, and used a piece of the old cord as pigtail - incidentally, the old pigtail was actually a bit too short and was pulling out of the strain relief on the A/T box. I found the new reel to be slower/noisier and disliked it.

I took it back out, removed the cord, and replaced the cord on the old reel. That worked fine, so now I have the new reel as an eventual spare iif needed, plus I likewise have a nice 20-foot 50-amp extension made from the old cord.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 04-17-2015

Hmmm, I might look for a stock reel..
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
Old 04-17-2015
Geek

As I recall, the company no longer exists - bought by somebody who makes different models now.
Old 04-17-2015
Geek

The OEM reel is a TDI model RV5036. tdiproducts.com (shown on the data plate) redirects to ensignco.com which shows the TDI Products logo on their website and has an e-mail address at tdiproducts.com, but appears to not make any reels at all, just power pedestals for marine use and rv parks.
Old 04-17-2015

While it is true my new reel is both slower and produces more noise than the original, I've been pleased with it so far. That it is slightly slower is not much of a drawback as the slower speed allows me to guide the cable back onto the reel more evenly than the old one. If you never owned the old one, you'd likely never notice. The CRR-50 that NH Bill mentioned looks to be better built and I like that attached cable roller guide.