Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 05-06-2015

Default New Tires for 2002 Lxi

Hi folks,

This is my first post. However I've been observing this site for years while I fantasized about owning a BB. Back in the 90's we purchased two new Amer. Eagles, but I always Lusted for a BB.

Wife agreed about 6 weeks ago to take off again and full time for several years. Last time we left in 1994 and were "out there" for nearly 3 years. We both had a great time. Our house went on the market this past weekend and we are able to hit the road while the realtor deals with selling it.

This morning after spending every waking hour for weeks searching for a BB, I put a deposit on a 2002 Lxi located at Palms RV in Ft. Myers. Since we are going to full time, we felt the more room the better. We've driven the dealer to point of exhaustion with questions on this particular rig and feel comfortable with what we are hearing.

Now, the rig needs new rubber and I expect batteries in the immediate future.

Since it's been many years since I purchased tires for the Eagle, and the Eagle is no where near the weight of a LXi, I need your guidance.

The coach has 2 year old Continentals on the steering axel. The tag and drive are 2008's Goodyears. I'm thinking of moving the Continentals on the front to the tag axel and putting all new rubber on the steering and drive.

The tires on the coach are currently 315/80 R22.5
1st question - is the 315/80 R22.5 the best size for a 2002 LXi with one slide?
If not, what is the ideal?

2nd question - what brand?
I'm far more concerned with safety and smooth ride than with the cost of the tire, but I don't want to just spend money for the sake of it. Additionally I like specs that exceed operating perimeters when possible.

To my knowledge, the choices are:
Michelin, Bridgestone and Toyo.
On Eagles in the past, I have had experience with Michelin and Bridgestone. As I remember it, the Michelin had a smoother ride but did not hold up tread wise like the Bridgestones did. BUT that was many years ago. Reality is I expect we'll put 7,000 to 9,000 miles a year on the coach.

We live in Chapel Hill, NC and hope to get out of here tomorrow afternoon to do a personal inspection of the coach and pay for it IF it meets what the dealer has promised. Ideally, we'd buy new tires in FL and drive back. However, I don't want to make a purchase until I've researched the options. Hoping the tires on the rear are solid enough to drive back to Chapel Hill and take my time to research.

In short, this is the first of what I expect will be many questions I ask of this group over the years and miles to come. Looking forward to meeting all at the first Rally we can attend in our coach!

Regards,
Jack Brady

Last edited by CleanLivin; 05-06-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2015

Welcome Jack, and good luck on the purchase. Your tire decision comes down to $$. Much discussion on the forum regarding tires. Seems a new thread every other week or so. You want a softer ride? Then Michelins. Otherwise, save a buck and go Toyos. I've run both and the Michelins are noticeably softer. I've not run Bridgestones so have no comparison there. Your immediate decision may be based more on what brand is quickly available to you. I like your idea of moving the relatively new steers to the tag.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 05-06-2015

We just bought 4 General S371 tires from Southern Tire Mart for the rear . I have been very happy with the ride and handling . So far i have about 700 miles on them on interstates and back roads .

They are made by Continental and made in the USA . Their plant is either in North Carolina or South Carolina .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 05-06-2015

IMHO, 2008 tires on the rear is acceptable for a Florida to NC trip provided they pass a visual inspection and are inflated and hold proper pressure. In other words, you have a little time to do your research. If you were going cross country not so much.

I'm running TOYOs, a great tire, but does not provide the Michelin ride.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-07-2015

Sounds like the Michelin ride is still "seductive" over the Toyo. I broke my neck 30+ years ago windsurfing accident so a smooth ride is important (seems more important the older I get).

Still hoping to find someone that has run Bridgestones.

Also, is what's on the coach the correct size and rating?

One issue that I learned in talking with Randy was the Michelin has a 65mph rated limit and the Toyo is 75mph. I drive a coach at 60-65 generally but downhill might trip over the 65 mark. That's a bit of a concern.

Is the Michelin discount program still open to WOG? I read the thread and it appears to be but I did not know how to get involved as a new member. Figured I'd call the chap at Dupree Products and get the update this morning.
Old 05-07-2015

I Just purchased two Michelin 380/80-22.5 through the Advantage Plan. You do need to register your Credit card with Michilen and use a particitating Dealer. Check ahead as Sometimes they don't have them in stock.
Old 05-07-2015

Currently has 315/80-22.5 on it - you went 380?
Logic for 380, and will it fit on the default alum. rims?

Just logged into Mich. Adv. web page - seems they ask a lot of questions about "fleet", "number of units", etc. Assume there are "secret" answers for the WOG members?
Old 05-07-2015

My mistake, they were 315 on my M380. I Think i call ed the Michilen # and gave them the Credit card info. I Went through Dupree Products as the feet Dealer. I bought them at Free Sevice Tire in Kinsport TN and plaid them For the instalation. You can Look on Michelin's site and get the dealers close to where you pick Up the BB.
Old 05-07-2015

Contact Stephen Birtles for the WOG discount. I highly suggest slowing down and reading the threads on this forum. Lots of other brands you didn't mention. Continental is good too not as pricey as the michelin. Also check out Hankook. No rush changing those tires at this point, my personal opinion.

Here is a good thread:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...hlight=hankook
VB 1570

Last edited by markusfmeyer; 05-07-2015 at 06:37 AM. Reason: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20134&highlight=hankook
Old 05-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
Contact Stephen Birtles for the WOG discount. I highly suggest slowing down and reading the threads on this forum. Lots of other brands you didn't mention. Continental is good too not as pricey as the michelin. Also check out Hankook. No rush changing those tires at this point, my personal opinion.
Thinking that's good advice - I was up late last night trying to read all on tires for a BB - could grow old and not get through all of it!

Rig had single owner and I'm told tires are N2 filled with no checking and good thread. Should make it back to Chapel Hill, NC via Atlanta - have to make a stop there on way home.

Just did a little research on the Continentals owner put on - seems like another candidate.
Need to see what Marathon/Prevost run on the new rigs - expect their buyers demand the best.

Last edited by CleanLivin; 05-07-2015 at 07:14 AM.