Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 09-20-2015

Default Yanmar/Kohler Coolant Hose

So last week we went to OK to pick up our bus. While getting it ready to go from the storage lot, I fired up the generator to run the AC's. After about 5 minutes it shut down. Checked the gauges, temps were maxed out. Didn't really need it, so proceded to the campground.

While at the CG noticed that many of the hoses were cracked and leaking, there wasn't any coolant in the resevoir. So I got to take the 12 hr trip home with no AC while it was in the mid 90's outside YAY!!!

Got home and yesterday pulled all the old hoses, they were in pretty bad shape, and several broke as I was removing the hose clamps.

The flexible ones with the Red Stripe list two sizes, 1-1/8" (short from T-stat, and water pump) and 2". The ones that attach to the radiator seem to be the same size as the 2" ones.

I plan on testing the thermostat today, once I get it pulled. I also forgot to drain the block while I was in there, and I'll do that today so I dont forget.

The fluid that came out of the radiator was orangish brown, but what came out of the remaining hoses was green.

Once I get the hoses re-installed, should I try to flush the system with distilled water before I do the final 50/50 ELC?

Pics of the aftermath:

Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Blog: www.rhhelpers.com

Last edited by ICBM99; 09-20-2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Fixed last pic
Old 09-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 View Post
So last week we went to OK to pick up our bus. While getting it ready to go from the storage lot, I fired up the generator to run the AC's. After about 5 minutes it shut down. Checked the gauges, temps were maxed out. Didn't really need it, so proceded to the campground.

While at the CG noticed that many of the hoses were cracked and leaking, there wasn't any coolant in the resevoir. So I got to take the 12 hr trip home with no AC while it was in the mid 90's outside YAY!!!

Got home and yesterday pulled all the old hoses, they were in pretty bad shape, and several broke as I was removing the hose clamps.

The flexible ones with the Red Stripe list two sizes, 1-1/8" (short from T-stat, and water pump) and 2". The ones that attach to the radiator seem to be the same size as the 2" ones.

I plan on testing the thermostat today, once I get it pulled. I also forgot to drain the block while I was in there, and I'll do that today so I dont forget.

The fluid that came out of the radiator was orangish brown, but what came out of the remaining hoses was green.

Once I get the hoses re-installed, should I try to flush the system with distilled water before I do the final 50/50 ELC?

Pics of the aftermath:

Flush first can't hurt. Suggest pulling the radiator and have it rodded and pressure tested.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 09-20-2015

Got the T-Stat out this afternoon, ran it through a couple cycles in a pot of water and thermometer. Everything check out.

Is there an easy way to test the water pump while everything is off? Do I need to pull it to look for wear? Are gaskets for the T-stat and water pump available? or will I have to make my own with RTV, or some other gasket making material?

Figured while I have it drained might as well check everything I can.
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Old 09-21-2015

Does 1-1/8" and 2" sound right? I put a tape measure on the metal fittings and they seem like they should be 1" and 1-1/2".
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Old 03-31-2016

So after 6 months, I finally got the generator hoses back together. Ran some distilled water through, and noticed the waterpump was dripping. Shoot. I'll do a search, but if I remember corectly the only pumps available are aftermarket Chinese, correct? Does any know off the top of their head what I should google? Part #, Make, Model?

Thanks
Matt
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Old 03-31-2016

What engine is your generator powered by?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 03-31-2016

Pretty sure its the Yanmar 4TN82E.

Going to hit google in the morning.
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Old 03-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 View Post
Pretty sure its the Yanmar 4TN82E.

Going to hit google in the morning.
Pull it off and take it to a rebuilder. I had ours done in okc for $65. Only replacement I could find other than Chinese was from Komatsu equipment dealer for close to $500
Old 04-19-2016

So the saga continues. I found a rebuilt water pump on-line and will keep the original with me until I get to a place that has someone that can rebuild one. No one in my area is capable. So I get the replacement and it's missing the smaller plug by the hose connection. No big deal...right? Wrong. No one in this town has a plug that will fit...argh. Had to guess and order online. I tried getting the one out of the original, but couldn't manage to get it out. I probably could have if I tried a bit harder, but I'd still be out one plug.

Anyway I get a batch of 5 plugs and today finally got back to putting the generator back together. Flushed it again, and noticed that the new plug I put in was leaking. Drained the system enough to put some RTV on the plug, let it set a bit, then refill with distilled water. Let it run a bit, and notice the bigger plug that came installed with the new water pump is leaking, drain system again, pull the plug, RTV, etc... Restarted let it run, finally no leaks. Drain one more time, and fill with 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze. Start it up so it can circulate, and get any air pockets out, and then...

It starts making loud noises and the idle is going crazy!! Run over to shut it down, was thinking that maybe fuel was getting low (tank was at about 1/4), So I aired up the bus and took it to add fuel. Brought it back home and restarted the generator. Runs real bad and sounds like there might be a grinding sound coming from the gen head area, but its hard to tell. Shut it down as soon as I heard it again. The meter shows about 4555 hrs on the generator.

Not sure how I should proceed! ???
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Old 04-19-2016

Matt,

I am really sorry to hear about your generator. I don't know if I can be of much assistance except to provide moral support.

If there is anything that might help from Austin, please let me know.

Diego