Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-25-2009

Default Toad - automatic transmission

What exactly needs to be done to a front wheel drive automatic transmission car to tow it without killing the transmission?

Approximately how much should it cost? Parts? Labor?

Regards,
Old 02-25-2009

It depends on the car. My Honda Fit requires nothing other then cycling it thru the gears in a particular order before placing it in neutral. Google flat towing guide and you will get all manor of information.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-25-2009
Former Bird Owner

Actually, the primary distributor of four-down towing conversion devices is http://www.remcotowing.com Go to their web site and look up your car to see what they suggest. There are a few models that are either not popular enough to have a device or too new to have one yet.

MotorHome magazine also puts out an annual towing guide listing those vehicles that don't require any special conversion. See http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/

I have a Remco transmission lube pump that works with my Toyota Camry. I've towed it about 22,000 miles with no troubles.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 02-25-2009
Gardner

A lot of the manufacturers tell you to run the engine and shift the transmission shift lever through a patern. This circulates the fluid and allows you too tow for some certain mileage or time. I think if there was a suitable auxillary pump it would be the better idea. After all, a transmission rebuild isn't cheap, especially when on the road away from home. Why take chances. My jeep has a neutral in the transfer case that disconnects the drive train, so I get away without doing anything.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-25-2009

Default Toad - automatic transmission

Thanks,

Neither one of my other vehicles is practical using the Remco parts finder so I'll be looking for a serviceable older "something". Prefer a 4X4 but not set in concrete.

Anyone have one they want to part with, let me know.

Regards,
Old 02-25-2009
RV Appraiser

I believe a Jeep Cherokee is a great toad when looking for a 4x4. I occasionally have them at my city surplus auctions usually under $2K w/120K miles or less for a 00-01 model. They have been fleet maintained, a few bumps or bruises but what can you find to beat them for under 2K? That is what I tow and it has served me well.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Last edited by birds_first; 02-26-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Thumbs up Jay Darst

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSGary View Post
Thanks,

Neither one of my other vehicles is practical using the Remco parts finder so I'll be looking for a serviceable older "something". Prefer a 4X4 but not set in concrete.

Anyone have one they want to part with, let me know.

Regards,

Jay Darst is one of the forum members HPRCoach and he owns a 1985 PT40 and is very knowledgeable about 'Birds in general, he also owns a Chrysler - Jeep dealership in Illinois and has sold new and used Jeeps and other makes of toads to some of our members around the country and has delivered them completely set up to tow, including the tow bar system that they need. You can find Jay's information right here on the forum at;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Vendors < HPR Coach & Cars (Jay Darst)

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-26-2009
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
I believe a Jeep Cherokee is a great toad when looking for a 4x4. I occasionally have them at my city surplus auctions usually under $2K w/120K miles or less for a 00-01 model. They have been fleet maintained, a few bumps or bruises but what can you find to beat them for under 2K? That is what I tow and it has served me well.
We are in the market for a 4 x 4 toad. If we can get into something reliable and clean under $2k that would be great! Actually have been looking at Honda CRVs in the $5K range. Please let us know if something crosses your path.
603 668-2888

Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 02-26-2009
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
A lot of the manufacturers tell you to run the engine and shift the transmission shift lever through a patern. This circulates the fluid and allows you too tow for some certain mileage or time. I think if there was a suitable auxillary pump it would be the better idea. After all, a transmission rebuild isn't cheap, especially when on the road away from home. Why take chances. My jeep has a neutral in the transfer case that disconnects the drive train, so I get away without doing anything.
Actually, it's Honda that has the run the engine, shift through a particular pattern, then you're good to go for XX miles with a 55 mph maximum. I don't know of any other manufacturers who specify a similar procedure.

In fact, Honda has backed off, cutting several vehicles off from being OK'd for towing. (The Element had no change to the engine or transmission, but the towing procedure was taken out of the owner's manual, etc.) I think the CRV is about the only one left where it's OK to tow.

While the 400 or 500 mile distance wouldn't be much of a problem for me, the 55 mph maximum tow speed is limiting. Speed limits in some western states are in excess of 70 mph -- and while that certainly has a big impact on fuel use (with or without a tow), I've noticed that I've spent most of my time cruising between 60 and 70 depending on roads and conditions.

Personally, I'm not much interested in 4WD for off road purposes, but I was attracted to the Jeep Liberty (with the correct transmission that has a true 4WD neutral). Likewise, a couple of the Saturn models (a sedan and an SUV as I recall) are also towable without special hassle.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com

Last edited by peteaeonix; 02-26-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2009

Default Toad - wanted

Feb. 26, 2009

I'm definitely interested in a serviceable toad under $5k, $2-3k would be better. Contact me directly if you have one to offer or know of an auction one might come up. Western US preferred.

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2000 AWD with a little less than 100k on it. It runs really well and is an awesome ski car that I would be willing to trade. Contact for details.

gary@costaricabygps.com

Regards,