Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-16-2016

Default Cell Signal Antenna and Amplifiers?

Hi all- getting started on an elective round of upgrades here and thought the collective brain power of the WOG might want in on this, too.

Anybody use the EQO RV kit from Wilson Electronics? It's an Omni antenna and it's intended for use when parked. Any feedback on how it's worked for you? OR how bout where/how you mounted it?

I'm thinking I'll mount the antenna at the back, by the ladder, then run the wires towards the kitchen. That's about as far as I've gotten, so far. The kit has been delivered and now it's about to get serious.
Old 08-16-2016

I have a WIFI Ranger that the external "antenna" rides up with the OEM TV antenna. It was installed by the P.O. and I'm not overly impressed. Certainly not the $400+ it cost.
Old 08-16-2016
Tired and now Retired!!

My concerns are based on their own verbiage:
Coverage Area

Many variables impact the total coverage area of a signal booster system. The following are estimates only and may not be accurate in any individual situation.

If you have an existing strong 5-bar outside signal, you may cover the entire RV with boosted signal**
If you have an existing 3 to 4-bar (-90 dB) outside signal, you may cover part of the RV with boosted signal**
If you have an existing 1 to 2-bar (-100 dB) outside signal, you may receive coverage a few feet from the inside antenna**
If you have no existing outside signal, you likely will not get any coverage from the booster
It sounds more like a repeater than a booster.

I currently have WeBoost devices and plan on getting the new 4G LTE version.
Their site info: WeBoost 4G-X
weBoost's 4G-X boosts cell signals up to 32x and enhances 4G LTE and 3G signals for everyone in the vehicle whether it's a car, truck, van or RV.
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 08-16-2016

We've got the WeBoost Drive 4G-x and think its great. Ive seen the signal go from 1x to 4G, and from no signal to able to do voice...

I have an antenna on the crank up mount, ran coax into the bus and stick the inside antenna on the wall when we need it. Its on an extension to the rear of the TV antenna, and is vertical even with the antenna cranked down so I can use it while driving...
See the photo.

There was a feed through the roof for the TV antenna coax, I fit the Wilson coax, and some cat5 for the wifi router through it and sealed it back up.

Kind of pricey by the time you get the high gain antenna for the roof and a different inside antenna, but it sure works great!

HTH, Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150810_173039.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	44301  

'93 WB40, Alligator - FOR SALE!
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 08-16-2016

Just installed the WeBoost 4G-X w/ stubby antenna. Thought I'd try the included stubby antenna before springing for bigger/more costly one. Cell signal strength in a remote NE Arizona campground location was improved from -110 db or no signal, to -80 db or better. -80 translates to 4-5 bars in most places. Placed box in front overhead electronics "bay" and stubby on roof to right side and just ahead of front AC. Inside antenna placed on overhead above driver and pointing down length of coach. Aluminum roof works great as ground plane but magnet does not of course, so needed glue. Noticed inside repeater works best when closer to it with maybe 5 db signal reduction towards back, but it was still very strong. While not cheap, I highly recommend these for those who often stay where cell service is marginal.

Get $10 w/ $100 spent via this link: http://go.referralcandy.com/share/RW2GMSP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	44302  
Old 08-16-2016

I have the weBoost Drive 4G-M. I couldn't tell the difference between the 4G-M and the 4G-X, except that the 4G-X is supposed to be better. I bought the 4G-M on Amazon for less than $300, seems to be more now.

I have only used it once since I have not permanently installed it, and it definitely improved our Sprint signal enough that you could make calls where we had no signal before. We also carry a T-Mobile device and it improved the signal by one or two bars. T-Mobile was already MUCH higher in signal than Sprint.

The only drawback is that you have to be relatively close to the small interior antenna that comes with the weBoost. I ordered larger interior antennas and they are awaiting installation (along with 20 other things...)
Old 08-16-2016

oh man, I'm hoping for these kind of results-- thank you for the pic and the information. I looked seriously at that product, and maybe I will regret not going that way.

I work from the bus, and the family prefers more wide open areas for camping. Hopefully this will work as well as yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
We've got the WeBoost Drive 4G-x and think its great. Ive seen the signal go from 1x to 4G, and from no signal to able to do voice...

I have an antenna on the crank up mount, ran coax into the bus and stick the inside antenna on the wall when we need it. Its on an extension to the rear of the TV antenna, and is vertical even with the antenna cranked down so I can use it while driving...
See the photo.

There was a feed through the roof for the TV antenna coax, I fit the Wilson coax, and some cat5 for the wifi router through it and sealed it back up.

Kind of pricey by the time you get the high gain antenna for the roof and a different inside antenna, but it sure works great!

HTH, Joe
Old 08-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
I have a WIFI Ranger that the external "antenna" rides up with the OEM TV antenna. It was installed by the P.O. and I'm not overly impressed. Certainly not the $400+ it cost.
Bummer on the performance review there. Our intended use is cell service in remote camping areas. But for campground Wi-Fi, I will definitely stay away from that product based on your experience. thank you!
Old 08-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBryantSr View Post
It sounds more like a repeater than a booster.

I currently have WeBoost devices and plan on getting the new 4G LTE version.
I think you may understand this more completely than me. At the risk of embarrassing myself, here's why I chose the EQO RV. When mobile, I'll get .45w to the antenna to amplify-- this is LESS than the RV 4G-x. But, when parked, the software changes the Antenna wattage to a full watt. At least I think it does... maybe I HOPE it does is the actual truth.

For me, working from the bus, my gamble is the additional "antenna power" while stopped will be valuable.
Old 08-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
I highly recommend these for those who often stay where cell service is marginal.
Awesome. Great to hear your experience has been positive.
I will include more data, post install.

Hopefully, we'll have an awesome new and powerful tool to share.