Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-29-2009

Default Lower Compartment Locks

Anyone have any experience with getting the lower compartment locks to operate with the keyless entry pad? I have about half my compartments that the pin does not operate to lock the handles. I assume 12V goes to some type of relay or solenoid at the lock assembly? I have not taken the panels off yet as there are about two dozen screws holding it in.

I have tried to use key(s) to no avail but I think that is a separate issue.

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2009

Default Lower compartment locks

I've had intermittent problems with my lower compartments not unlocking after locking, or not locking at all and have somewhat alleviated them by:

1) Lubricating all of the pins with a spray silicone lubricant

2) Slightly enlarging the locking holes on a couple of the handles with a drill bit.

I also found that after entering my key code on the pad, I immediately hit 3 again to unlock the compartments. (I was originally told to hit 5 or 7, as I recall).
2004 Toyota Land Cruiser on a trailer
Old 03-29-2009

To lock everything with the pad, you hit the last 2 buttons simultaneously. To unlock everything with the pad, after the code has been entered, you hit the 2nd button (from the right as you're looking at the pad). This is standard to all Ford products (Ford, Lincoln & Mercury).

As far as some of the bays not locking, you may find a few broken wires. You'll need to pull off the panels of the offending bays and start checking to see what power you get. Lubrication is critical, so you can lubricate while you have the panels off. I'm slowly going through mine. They work most of the time, but I have a few stalwarts that need further work.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 03-29-2009
Former Bird Owner

I had a couple of the bay doors not locking. I removed the inside panel, carefully cleaned and lubricated the mechanism, and checked the operation to ensure that there were no broken or loose wires (no loose wires were found).

After servicing, the recalcitrant locks operated normally.

Pushing the two buttons on the right end of the keypad, (7/8) and (9/0) together, locks the entry door and bays. Someone told me to press twice in succession, but once seems to do it.

Unlocking the bays requires pressing the 5-digit entry code, followed by pressing the center (5/6) button -- at least, that's what works on my coach.

I note that if the entry door is open and you press the 'lock' combination, then only the bay door locks will engage.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-29-2009
Forum Moderator

In several instances where I lost power to my locks the problem turned out to be broken wires leading to the door. In other words the breaks were outside the door and not within it. Check all the spots where the wire flexes in opening and closing.
Old 03-30-2009

I've repaired several of my bay door locks; loose wires in some cases and broken linkeage connection in others. I have also added small springs to be sure the handles close completely. Be careful taking the inner panels off, the entire frame and panel are very light weigth aluminum and you can easily strip the screws and/or holes. I'd do all tightning by hand, or with a very low torque setting on your drill/driver.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 12-03-2012

None of my bays lock. I thought it might be low 12v power so I tried with the Aux battery on and still no joy. I have tried it with the button next to the passenger seat and with the key pad and nothing nada, not a thing. Is the relay or breaker on the dashboard panel?

Ed
Jupiter Fl
Edlegue@ymail.com
Michelelegue@yahoo.com
Old 12-04-2012

On my '99LXi43 if the pin does not line up exactly, it will not be pushed into the hole in the handle even when good power is applied. There was a small, oddball size, rubber bumper holding the handle at the correct spot. After considerable searching I found them and had to buy a bag of 100+ and still have some somewhere if needed. Just a matter of locating them as I sold that coach.

Try holding the handle in allignment with the lock pin and have someone press the lock.
Old 12-04-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I would guess you have a fuse blown or a loose wire.
Not sure how yours is set up, but my solenoids for the locks are located in my door bell compartment.
the 1 on the left is the unlock, the 2 on the right is the lock.
I would find the solenoids start here.

Very large detailed pic here
http://mallie.home.cwis.net/a6.jpg
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 12-04-2012
Former Bird Owner

See my earlier reply in this thread.

Note that the bay door locks get a lot of exposure to the elements and old lubricant can cause dirt to build up causing stickiness. Thorough cleaning of the locks and lubrication with graphite can go a long way to helping. Liquid lubricants (WD 40, silicone spray) can leave residue that then collects dirt, causing the locks to jam.

If you do not hear a "thump" when you press the lock/unlock buttons, then the solenoids may not be working -- which then suggests an electrical problem. However, the solenoids may simply be jammed due to gunked-up locks.

I'd first try to get one (or a few) of the locks to work with the key -- then the solenoid may also be able to move the lock, if there is not an electrical fault. The jammed locks could have caused a fuse to blow in the solenoid power circuit.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com