Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > RV Products Review

RV Products Review Do you use or know of a RV related product that you would like to give us your opinion of good or bad, just list it here and be as descriptive as possible about it and be sure to tell us where we can purchase it at.

Site Search:

Old 05-23-2017

Default Garmin RV 770 the new one Review

We have been using the new Garmin RV 770 for a few weeks now and it has been a love-hate mix bag using it.

First off I love all the features and the display is very good like a cell phone but larger. I paid extra and got a sun shield and found that I do not need it as it is easy to see in bright light so one is not needed.

Using it as we drive has been easy and worked great till our last trip and cost us over an hour of extra driving and then a total shock making us pull over in a panic.

Driving from Florance to Newport OR it is only a little over an hour drive we took off and I turned the 770 on and it tells me to make a right off 101 so I did thinking it must be a faster way then as we are driving I look at it some more and it is telling me the trip will take over 3 hours..
So I want to turn around and go back to 101 and only drive an hour but we are on a two lane road with water the bay on one side of us with no place to turn around for around 30 min. I then got turned around and the Garmin RV 770 keeps telling me to turn around then when we got back to 101 it told me to go left not right.

So I shut it off and after driving half way I turned it back on and re-mapped to the next location address and it then was ok driving on 101 right to it.

But then as we started up some steep mountains and curves it flashes a warning saying a bridge ahead is only 11 1/2 feet tall so we pulled over and I climbed up top of the coach and started to measure it looks like we need at least 13 or so to fit so now what. This was on a curve pull off way up high.

But as we sit there we see very tall as tall as us 5th wheels drive by and then a few motorhomes that are tall drive by.

So we decided to drive and see what it is and hoped we could turn around if needed. I could not turn around anyway at the pull over spot.

After driving around many curves up very high we come down to a tunnel we have to go into and the edge of the tunnel is 11 1/2 feet tall at the start of the curve of the tunnel but if you stay in your lane good and not too far over to the right it is 16 feet I think it was and no problem to make it in.

So the new Garmin RV 770 did not want us to go this way as the lower part of the tunnel was 11 1/2 feet tall not knowing that it was plenty high for us to fit and wanted us to drive way out of our way to avoid this.

Other little bugs I see with it are many times when driving it will show something like S curve ahead and after you go past that curve that message is stuck on the screen for the rest of the trip.
Sometimes it will go away and sometimes not. So you could now be driving on a straight road an hour later and it still shows the S-curve ahead.

Finding gas with it I do not like as unless you know the name of the town you want gas in it can not find it like you want to get gas someplace in two hours or so it is no help as it wants to know the town name but I have never been here before so I do not know what town is in two hours on our trip.

You can look it its map if you scroll in and in and in and in and in to see town names but then you are lost as where you are.

Mapping out many locations at the same time I can not get to work right have been back and forth with support on this and still not working.

I map out say 4 locations we are going to and it works fine for the first one. Next day I load it and pick the next location and it maps us to that but shows us the travel time from the starting location, not our current location so the travel time is always wrong for all the other trips.

So now I just map from one place to the next with the starting point from the current location. I will make a few new maps at a time for the next few days and save them.

Other things I like is that is works with no internet needed and does not like Google maps try and send us on shot cuts down small streets at least not yet.
(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 05-23-2017

Sounds about just like my 760. I like having it but it's no substitute for a paper map.

Just like many software programs, you have to let it train you as you can not train it.

I dont use route features. I just enter my destinations and then start the nav process. Then I can just hit "recent" BUT I have already looked at a map and made my own route decisions.
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 05-23-2017

I have the 770 Truck version in my semi. Very close to the RV version. Also likes and dislikes.

When going somewhere I have not been before, I ALWAYS check with a paper map! It is amazing sometimes the weird routing a GPS takes one on! ALL GPSs. They are a tool, not a solution.

With a car, it is easy to fix going down a wrong street. With a semi or big RV, it is not so easy!

I use them for point to point. I will use multi points, to check distances each way, but when actually driving, I just put in the next stop.

I NEVER trust a GPS to use the correct route! NEVER.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 05-23-2017
Forum owner

I am a MAP guy myself.
The GPS is good for in town.
And for telling me the speed limit!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-23-2017

My experience with all GPS units are about the same. They are an aid but you CAN NOT depend on them. I've said they are the devils devices because I don't trust them. They are not intuitive to use and I find them frustrating. However I've also on some occasions had them get me out of trouble when I really really did not know where I was. Younger folks seem to have no trouble with them so perhaps it's "us". Seems like they could be made much simpler to use. In time I am sure they will be.

I've found maps to be a challenge too. Especially the small plastic maps which while convenient to store don't allow you to really see much in detail.

Google maps helps. If I can get Ethel up and helping we do OK.

What I've learned is the minute am not completely certain of my directions I pull over and sort it out because IF YOU DON'T you can get in to situations just as Ed described. Easily spending an hour to get back on track.

I feel your frustration and I've been there any number of times.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-23-2017

I have the RV760 but and on a long trip I use it for navigation..BUT..Big BUTT I plan the route ahead of time in the computer based software (can't remember the name) and then upload the route to the 760. I do like having the speed on the display as it's way easier to monitor than my speedometer on the dash.
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 05-23-2017

I call mine "Willemeana" for the reasons above. Google maps wont upload to Garmin but Mapquest will.

I agree with Randy D. Paper map and I like the speed limit display. Paper maps available for free at welcome center if you are on Interstate. I like the back roads if I have time. I try to stick to the ones with numbers.
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 05-23-2017

The best GPS unit out there is SHANE. You get very spoiled I tell you.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-23-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
The best GPS unit out there is SHANE. You get very spoiled I tell you.

IFS ?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-23-2017

I once used a GPS to go to Randy's house in Archer to pick up some roof panels. It had me turn onto a dirt road which got narrower and narrower and finally the road disappeared deep in the woods. Had to back out. Whole time I was wondering how he would get them buses down this road.
No Kidding!!
PS I was in a PU Truck.
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net

Last edited by Clembo; 05-23-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarification