Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-16-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default FC Additional Ground Strap

I want to add an additional ground strap from the engine to the frame on my '82FC and I am looking for suggestions for a location for that strap, has anybody already done this and if so where did you mount the ground strap from and to?

Thanks,

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-16-2009

I was having trouble cranking the engine over, thats when I dicovered the woven ground strap from the starter to the frame was acting like a heating element when I engaged the starter.

I took a battery cable I had laying around and attached it to the same point as the woven one on the starter. I found a piece of angle iron that is part of the compartment structure, ground it clean, and drilled a hole. After I attached the cable it spins over easily every time.

Just make sure you have clean tight connections at both ends and avoid drilling a frame rail.

Good luck.
1982 FC33
Old 07-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by maustin View Post
I was having trouble cranking the engine over, thats when I dicovered the woven ground strap from the starter to the frame was acting like a heating element when I engaged the starter.
Whatdya mean, heating element? I'm having trouble getting my 82FC35 started also, ground strap has been Suggested as the prob- but I'm leaning towards solenoid troubles...
Get a free night
(Only in your Wanderlodge!)
@
www.TexasStarRVranch.com
Old 07-17-2009

Glenn,

The braided strap is as the name implies a bunch of small wires braided to make a larger one. If there's poor connections in the ends of the braiding, much of the amperage will have to travel through only a few strands, causing them to act like heating elements!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-17-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Whatdya mean, heating element? I'm having trouble getting my 82FC35 started also, ground strap has been Suggested as the prob- but I'm leaning towards solenoid troubles...
Glenn,

I'm not having any specific problems, but after reading each and every post on the forum as a moderator (I guess that's why I make the big bucks according to some folks) I have become aware that some of the issues with our 'Birds relate to bad grounds, so while going through some battery cable material here in the shop I ran across a good used cable that is large enough to use as an additional ground, so I'm just adding it as a precautionary measure, it sure can't hurt anything and might eliminate some minor grounding issues down the road.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-17-2009
Forum owner

John F.it has to go on the stud on the starter,and i run a longer cable and hook it right to the batteries,that takes the frame out of the syatem,and several connections too.

Glenn,that ground strap needs to be replaced,and the nuts on the starter replaced too,or at the very least taken off and filed flat and clean,brass nuts would be good,do that before you replace anything else,the ground will give you trouble,you can bet on it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-17-2009
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I want to add an additional ground strap from the engine to the frame on my '82FC and I am looking for suggestions for a location for that strap, has anybody already done this and if so where did you mount the ground strap from and to?

Thanks,
John if memory serves me you have a battery cut-off switch to protect your engine start batteries. If you run a ground wire directly from engine to neg on engine batteries then the cut-off switch will be bypassed and non-functional.
Old 07-17-2009
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
John if memory serves me you have a battery cut-off switch to protect your engine start batteries. If you run a ground wire directly from engine to neg on engine batteries then the cut-off switch will be bypassed and non-functional.

well,I know its early where you are!
so,i'll let you have a coke or 2 before I tell you where the cut off switch is located!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-17-2009
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Unless they are disconnecting the ground with the cut off switch then it won't matter. Aren't most switches on the positive side? Also, just an FYI. In theory the electrons move more freely on the outside of a conductor. That is why the more conductors you have the current rating goes up while voltage drop goes down. You'll notice most nice marine cables of similar size have many more smaller conductors. This being said I'd wager the braded ground straps are better than a conventional battery cable.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 07-17-2009

Default FC Additional Ground Strap

John:

I found some good ground straps, not quite as flexible as the ones on my coach though, but still braided.
Current capacity - 1200 amps

Since our coaches ride on air bags, there must be a ground strap from the chassis frame to the suspension frame, correct??