Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 11-10-2009

Default Owner's Manuals on Forum

As I prepare for the arrival of my BB, I've been doing some homework by reading whatever I can on the forum. I found the owners manuals here as well, but am a little confused. I'm not sure what the source of these files was, but in my case, for 1982, it appears someone hand wrote on some of the pages and changed information that was originally documented. For example, tire pressures in the manual originally were 105 front/75 rear, changed to 115 front/80 rear.

Similarly, crankcase capacity was originally 27 dry, 25 refill, but that was changed to 23 dry, 21 refill (a whole gallon less). In the section where it recommends what oil to use, 30wt was circled, but here on the forums I thought I read everyone recommending 40wt?

Generator oil was originally specificed as 10W-30, but that was changed to 10W-40.

Anybody have thoughts or comments? Not having the coach in my possession yet, I don't have the hardcopy owners manual, so therefore I've been trying to use whats posted here, but its confusing me finding someone's (who???) handwritten notes/changes all over it!
VB 1570
Old 11-10-2009
95 WB 42

Markus

Tire manufacturing has changed a lot over the years, therefore inflation
requirements would be different--check tire manufactuer recomendations
for your tire/weight. This might explain written notes.

Oil capacity our coach came with NO idea of capacity--PO had oil changed , first time I changed , I parked on level surface and added oil to full mark ran 2 minutes and rechecked added back to full mark--ended up installing 25qts in our 6v92. Straight 40 wt only here in Ga. may want 30 wt up north?

Generator oil I use Chevron Delo400 recommended by Father In Law years ago as only oil he would use in diesel engine[4 stroke] so far so good 3 years of service for us xxxx away the jinxxxxx
Ours is 4 cylinder Perkins w 12.5kw gen. takes 7.5 qts with filter change other .5 qt goes into oil-bath air cleaner.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 11-10-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
As I prepare for the arrival of my BB, I've been doing some homework by reading whatever I can on the forum. I found the owners manuals here as well, but am a little confused. I'm not sure what the source of these files was, but in my case, for 1982, it appears someone hand wrote on some of the pages and changed information that was originally documented. For example, tire pressures in the manual originally were 105 front/75 rear, changed to 115 front/80 rear.
Some of the files like the one in question, came from owners who copied their manuals (notes and all) and made them into a PDF files.

I used the tire pressures in the manual and posted inside the coach as a base line, but I weighed my 'Bird complete with full tanks and then the individual corners, then I took those weights and went to my tire manufacturers load inflation guide web site to determine the exact tire pressure that I run in those tires. heck out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes and Suspensions > Tires and Wheels and Weighing Your 'Bird

Quote:
Similarly, crankcase capacity was originally 27 dry, 25 refill, but that was changed to 23 dry, 21 refill (a whole gallon less). In the section where it recommends what oil to use, 30wt was circled, but here on the forums I thought I read everyone recommending 40wt?

Generator oil was originally specificed as 10W-30, but that was changed to 10W-40.

Anybody have thoughts or comments? Not having the coach in my possession yet, I don't have the hardcopy owners manual, so therefore I've been trying to use whats posted here, but its confusing me finding someone's (who???) handwritten notes/changes all over it!
I use Shell Rotella 15W-40 inmy Perkins because it is easier for me to find. You will find in some cases the oil type and weight is a personal preference.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 11-10-2009

Default Manuals

Mark
Just as John said, things changed and owners along with it. So hand written notes are mostly gotten from up to date experiences and information available.
If your old telephone antenna is shot, would you replace it? That thing is not used any more since cell phones are the norm. So, a lot of things changed. I'd go with the notes and check this website when in doubt. An does John have the answers to almost everything. And if he doesn't, he knows where and how to get it. Thats how I got my musical horn fixed, labor by myself.
Old 11-10-2009

By the way what do the terms wet and dry apply to with respect to oil changes. I've heard with filter and without but unless you were putting oil in a newly rebuilt engine it would be wet every time would it not?

That filter on my 6v92 holds two quarts or more. I also understand better to error low then to high on the oil capacity numbers.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold