Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs

Insurance, Vehicle & Towing, Taxes, and Lifestyle Costs Owning a Blue Bird isn't cheap. Questions or suggestions on how to handle these costs are discussed in this forum.

Site Search:

Old 04-15-2010

Default Agreed Insurance Value Policies...

I found out effective 4/15/2010 that Progressive will no longer write agreed value insurance policies for older motorhomes and will not renew any in effect at this time either. They will only write them based off of an actual cash value as stated in NADA. I booked out what my 1982 was worth and was not happy.

Does anyone know any other insurance companies that will still write an agreed apon value policy for an antique Bird?
Old 04-15-2010

Interesting....not what my agent just told me and I'm about to add my 82 to the policy shortly!

And what do you mean they won't renew? Won't renew what - policies for any coach over a certain age, or coaches over a certain age with agreed to value, or what?

My agent specifically asked me how much I wanted it insured for, that to me means agreed to value, not book value, or he wouldn't have asked.
VB 1570
Old 04-15-2010

I called Progressive directly today. Tried to get an agreed value policy for my 1982 in case of a total loss. They will only write the older motorhomes based on the book value amount in a total loss. Before they were one of the few insurance companies would write older RV's for a fixed value. They told me that if you currently have a fixed policy with them, once it comes up for renewal they will only write it based on an NADA value in a loss. I was hoping someone knew of an alternative insurance company or a way around this to insure the bus for a fair value?
Old 04-15-2010

I currently have progressive and when I bought the coach two years ago there was no real alternative to them.

On a side note that Randy can talk to and if you ever dealt with ANY insurance company (home, health, car, boat, bus, airplane etc.) I have NEVER felt whole after a claim which have been few.

The insurance is mainly for liability and thankfully I have never had to deal with. Help us all if you ran over a child with your house/bus/car/boat etc.

Fair market value replacement is going to be the mantra in a decreasing market and purchase price during an increasing market.

If you think you can "win" against an insurance company, look at where you live versus the high rises they live in!!!

OOPS, do I sound a touch annoyed????

Sorry and I hope I do not get mderated
Old 04-15-2010

I have mine through Farm Bureau and they did write agreed value policys last year. They had both options NADA or Agreed upon Value. Of course the rate is subject on what value you put on it and I am sure there must be some stipulations or everyone would be having suspicious fires due to the values dropping so severely due to the fuel costs and economy. They have an auction for totaled and /or wrecked vehicles a few miles away and you should see the burned RV's in their lot lately. Definately a sign of the times and I am sure why Progressive is doing what they are doing.
"STL CRZY"
Email: slckpurdy@aol.com
Old 04-15-2010

Maybe I will look into insuring the 1982 FC35 as an antique vehicle, and get it professionally appraised for a more realistic value. What is the difference, they will insure collector cars for big amounts why not an antique motorhome. Mileage limits might be a drawback though with antique plates. Has anyone tried the antique insurance route?

I called many insurance companies today, they all came back with the same Acual Cash Value for the coach in a total loss. As far as they are concerned a 1982 FC35 is worth between $8,000-$10,000 period. I will not accept that. They would rather total the coach in a heart beat at that amount to avoid the head ache of trying to fix an old coach like this. a check for that amount won't even buy you a new Pop-Up trailer these days. There has to be a way to outsmart them.
Old 04-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
Interesting....not what my agent just told me and I'm about to add my 82 to the policy shortly!

And what do you mean they won't renew? Won't renew what - policies for any coach over a certain age, or coaches over a certain age with agreed to value, or what?

My agent specifically asked me how much I wanted it insured for, that to me means agreed to value, not book value, or he wouldn't have asked.

AGREED VALUE is actually an endorsement that is attached to a policy and if it's not there you should be on a ACTUAL CASH VALUE. Better ask your agent to explain and to also SHOW you where the policy reads AGREED VALUE. There is a big difference between to two.
[I]1997 WANDERLODGE - 43'[/I]
Old 04-15-2010
RV Appraiser

Default Certified Appraisals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I found out effective 4/15/2010 that Progressive will no longer write agreed value insurance policies for older motorhomes and will not renew any in effect at this time either. They will only write them based off of an actual cash value as stated in NADA. I booked out what my 1982 was worth and was not happy.

Does anyone know any other insurance companies that will still write an agreed apon value policy for an antique Bird?
>>> You may want to check again with Progressive and see if they will write the policy with a Certified Appraisal. National Interstate will write a policy, and a lot of other companies will IF you have an appraisal. It should be a CERTIFIED APPRAISAL which adheres to the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practices (USPAP Standards). NOT some chicken scratch on a yellow legal pad. This is one of the things I do for a living, vintage cars, boats, trucks, motorcycles & RVs. As I have stated in the past insurance companies are in the business to make money not to pay out on losses, and when I hear BS such as they will only accept or payout on NADA this is a real joke, but you the consumer is getting the shaft. Most people don't know how NADA obtains their values but it is basically like this. If only one 1982 Wanderlodge went through a reporting auction house last quarter and it sold for only 20 grand, guess what the next reported valve will be? It happens every month, Newell,Vouge, Prevost, & Blue Bird takes the hits but the Wennabago values will reflect a nearer to truer value; it's all based on NUMBERS. Get an appraisal, it's worth your time if you need agreed value insurance. I have done appraisals for other forum members maybe some can share their expierences with their insurance company regarding their appraisal.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_

Last edited by birds_first; 03-17-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2010

That is great news John. Who better to appraise a Wanderlodge than from another owner who understands their value. If you were to write an appraisal on a Blue Bird can you do it long distance from pictures or do you have to see the bus in person?
Old 04-15-2010

When we bought our Bird National Interstate simply asked for a copy of the purchase contract, subtracted the amount of our down payment and insured as replacement value the amount that was remaining on our note. While the note has declined substantially over the last several years, same replacement value is still in our policy.
"Always Something"