Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 08-20-2012
Early Member

Default trying to add an aux air compressor

I'm trying to add an aux air compressor to my 90SP, and I can't find where to plumb into the coach. There is a stock air outlet in the right rear bay, but it seems to have a check valve on it somewhere and doesn't fill the tanks at all. My goal is to fill all the tanks and be able to enable all of the systems without running the engine (air ride, step, dump valves, air horn, etc.) and mostly, to use the capacity of the stock tanks as a buffer when inflating tires with the aux compressor. I've looked here for air schematics but was unsuccessful. If anyone knows about this I would be grateful.

Fred
"The Wunderlodge"
build blog info
Old 08-20-2012
Former Bird Owner

Can't say where to connect in a 90SP ... but the connection in the bay is probably intended as a "fill" source for the tires. My coach had a similar air connection in the street-side bay just forward from the water-sewer hook-up bay. In practice I found the connection (in my coach) to be extremely time consuming for tire inflation even if only a few pounds low.

I carried a small "contractor's compressor" rated to 150 psi with a 4-gallon capacity to air the tires and to provide "shop air" when needed. Later on, I connected the dump valves to the Microphor compressor that my coach was blessed with. (I did not have the Gast Aux Compressor that many 'birds have installed.)

There is (should be) a "shop air" input in the engine compartment. In my coach it was a schrader valve (same as on the tires) located just above the bumper and slightly to the right. It was just inside where the door raised up ... but could be easily overlooked. I aired up the whole coach through the shop air valve when I needed to cycle systems using the primary air system -- though it could take quite a few minutes when the coach was completely out of air.

Once you find the shop air input valve, you can probably trace its route to the air system and possibly find a more convenient place to tap into for the installation of an aux air compressor. Be sure to install a check valve so you don't lose air out via the compressor when you're underway.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-20-2012
prone to wandering

Shop air input should be about 2' from that chuck, just inside the rear engine hatch on the curb side.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 08-20-2012

Hey Fred,

Check with Rick, he installed one on his 90 SP and put it inside the right engine access door. I'm pretty sure he plumed it into the line coming from the Schrader valve. This should send the air through the air dryer before getting to the tanks.

I just found my aux compressor, it's in the right, front most storage bay, where the battery charger and inverter are located. I'm not sure where it actually plumbs into the system, but I'm guessing it's before the air dryer.

That being said, before I found the compressor on my bird, I found a Gast 3/4 HP compressor on e-bay. I offered the guy $150 for it and he took it. This compressor looks almost identical to the original one in my bus. Now that I found that I actually have one in my bus, I'd might be willing to part with this one for $150 plus shipping. (shipping to me was $35) Otherwise, I'll hang on to it in case something goes wrong with the original.

Here's a link to what I bought...he has a couple more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400297943349...84.m1439.l2649

What are folks thoughts on Gast compressors? Are they long lived or do they need to be replaced at some point? The answer to this question might sway my decision to part with the one I just bought.

Dan

Last edited by KingBiscuit; 08-20-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-20-2012

Fred, Like Jim said. Plumb into the Schreader valve line. That will take you where you want to go with your new air source.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-20-2012

There is a Gast rebuild kit, just put one in mine last winter, works like new.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 08-20-2012

I used a portable air compressor named Viair.
It will pump out 120 psi for the tires.
Comes in its own carry case and it works fine for 5 years now.
Old 08-20-2012

After my little melt down with my genny starter motor sticking, I added an aux compressor so that I can air up the bus without having to run the motor. While at home I can air the bus up with my home compressor and a male to male adapter (shown in the picture below) or while on the road I can air up from the on board pancake compressor using a small coil hose. The pancake compressor also has the advantage that it will go up to 150 psi which is useful to air up the front tires to 120 psi.

I can only take credit for the installation. I took the advise from one of the WOG Jedi Masters. I found the schraeder valve under my coach. I figured if it was safe to add air through the schraeder than it is safe to add a tee for the Aux compressor. For the air compressor input I installed an air regulator and water filter. It then goes into an oil mister with a little MMO in it. I don't use this all the time but when I do, the system gets a little juice. What you don't see is to the right of the oil mister is a 90 degree elbow where the air line goes through the bay wall. The ball valve is there to close off the added items to the air system so that if the mister or the filter fails, it doesn't cause the bus air system to air down.

Here are some pics.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 08-21-2012
Early Member

Rick, where was the schrader valve located on your coach?
"The Wunderlodge"
build blog info
Old 08-21-2012

Open the rear hatch. Lower right hand side. After find the valve I would move inside the left hatch door and splice into the copper tube there.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656