Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 04-03-2008

Default Problem with fresh water pump

I have a problem with my water pump, maybe someone has some ideas. Ran the coach this past weekend to KY and noticed no water pressure when we stopped for dinner on the way. Pulled the access cover under the driver's side bed to check the water pump and found the pump motor was very hot, almost too hot to touch. It was also whining. We had left the water pump switch on while driving to make ice etc. The pump is a Shurflo Extreme Series 5.7. I turned off the pump at the switch, let it cool off and it would work fine, but heated up and turned off again after leaving it on for about 20 min. We used the pump for the rest of the weekend as an "on demand" item only turning it on when we needed water. Am I out of luck and just need a new pump? Is it repairable? It is electronically controlled, variable speed, pressure sensing, sounds like overkill to me.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 04-03-2008

Smile

After filling your water tank did you flip the fill switch back to off?
Old 04-03-2008

Default replace water pump

The pressure switch may be bad on the pump. Replacing the pump with a new one complete with new pressure valve may be your best and cheapest solution, especially since your pump froze from overheating..............Ken
Old 04-03-2008
Former Bird Owner

If the pump isn't all that old, you should contact Shurflo. I _thought_ I heard about a recall on some of the pumps. Or they may provide a replacement at a discount if the pump is defective.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-04-2008

I did remember to switch the water fill valve back to off. The pump has a thermal overload device and I'm assuming it was keeping the motor from running. Once it cooled off it runs and sounds normal. I don't think the pump is that old, but it was installed by the previous owner. I'll look through the documentation and see if the receipt is in there.
Thanks for the ideas everyone.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 04-04-2008
RV Appraiser

What I've noticed with my pump is when I overfill my water tank there is no room for air pressure in the plumbing system so my pump will run for a long long time until I run off some water. Once there is enough air gap in the tank then my pump works just great. Do you have an air accumilator tank in your plumbing system? If so you may try giving it a short burst of air.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 04-04-2008

I called Shurflo today and talked to their Tech dept. She suggested that I send the pump in and see if it is repairable. It is one year out of warranty and she claims there was never any recall on the pump. The only replacement parts available are a pump head. The motor is not serviceable and holds the electronics. So I bought a new one on E-bay this afternoon for 138.00 shipped. It should be an easy swap.

My system is not equipped with an accumulator tank with this pump because of the pumps "advanced" electronic pressure sensing, variable speed design. I did read in the installation guide that all air must be purged from the system which I verified this afternoon.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 04-04-2008
Former Bird Owner

I have one of the ShurFlo 5.7 gpm variable speed pumps. They do not need an accumulator tank in the plumbing system.

If your pump isn't working right until you get some 'air' in the main water tank, it sounds like you might need to check the tank vent to see if it's blocked.

My pump is located near a low point in the water system, so when the water tank is more than 1/4 full, there is a 'head' of pressure, so the pump doesn't have any trouble from air in the line as it doesn't occur unless the tank is pumped dry. I've had no trouble from my pump since I installed it last year.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-13-2008

Finally got around to replacing the fresh water pump today. It was quite easy because I used the same model as the old one and the pump hooks up to the water lines with quick connect fittings. New pump works great, no overheating issues with the pump motor.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 04-14-2008

Would you be interested in selling your old defective pump?

I am working on a 'project', and could use another pump for testing. It doesn't matter that it doesn't shut off.

Thanks.

-Robert
Linden, Michigan