Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-24-2012

Default Aquahot Shutoff on 94 BMC

The only way I have found so far to shut off the power to the water heater on my 94 BMC when connected to shore power is to take everything out of the street side closet at the foot of the bed, lift the access panel over the Aquahot, then turn the on/off switch on top of the unit to the off position; is there an easier/alternative way?
Old 09-25-2012

On my BMC, there is a circuit breaker in the rear A/C power panel labeled "water heater". I can turn it off there. The panel is behind a cabinet mirror panel in the bedroom on the driver side at the head of the bed. FWIW below that is a 12 volt power panel behind a removeable panel.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
On my BMC, there is a circuit breaker in the rear A/C power panel labeled "water heater". I can turn it off there. The panel is behind a cabinet mirror panel in the bedroom on the driver side at the head of the bed. FWIW below that is a 12 volt power panel behind a removeable panel.
Thank you very much Brad; I am still in the discovery phase and I think it would have taken me quite awhile to find that on my own.

We are off to Dahlonega, Ga next week for our first adventure and I'm sure more questions will be generated.

This group of knowledgeable helpful folks is great!
Old 09-25-2012

Lyn,

Just for future reference, what you are turning off is just a hot water heater. The '94 does not have an Aquahot. The 95 and up BMC's had Aquahot units which are a complete hydronic heating system. You should have a 40K BTU Suburban furnace under the refrigerator for heat.
If you have the original hot water heater in the bedroom closet, it should be an electric/propane unit.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bird View Post
Lyn,

Just for future reference, what you are turning off is just a hot water heater. The '94 does not have an Aquahot. The 95 and up BMC's had Aquahot units which are a complete hydronic heating system. You should have a 40K BTU Suburban furnace under the refrigerator for heat.
If you have the original hot water heater in the bedroom closet, it should be an electric/propane unit.
Thanks for that clarification; eventually I'll get all the technical terms correct; being a very literal person, I figured "Aquahot" equals water heater. Sometimes just a little knowledge can lead you down the wrong path. I have an oil fired hydronic baseboard heating system in my house that I don't use except when the temperature gets so low that the heat pump can't find any outside heat to pump inside and it switches to electrical resistance heat mode; I think I'm going to be happy without an Aquahot knowing what leaking plumbing in a hydronic system can do and what a pain it can be to repair.
Old 09-25-2012

It is one of those "to each his own" kind of things when it comes to whether you like the Suburban propane furnace or the Aquahot hydronic system. Many like the Aquahot, but I am satisfied with the propane furnace. It is easy and fairly inexpensive to work on. If you ever do have to work on yours, hopefully BB didn't screw down the back of the unit so it cannot be slid out of the box. It wasn't real hard, but I had to remove the refrigerator and cut the plywood out where it sat to get to the furnace. I rebuilt it and only used the front screw to hold it down, so that now it will only be a 15 minute job to remove it for future service as it will come out the front after removing the vent.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bird View Post
It is one of those "to each his own" kind of things when it comes to whether you like the Suburban propane furnace or the Aquahot hydronic system. Many like the Aquahot, but I am satisfied with the propane furnace. It is easy and fairly inexpensive to work on. If you ever do have to work on yours, hopefully BB didn't screw down the back of the unit so it cannot be slid out of the box. It wasn't real hard, but I had to remove the refrigerator and cut the plywood out where it sat to get to the furnace. I rebuilt it and only used the front screw to hold it down, so that now it will only be a 15 minute job to remove it for future service as it will come out the front after removing the vent.
It's personal insights and experience like this that make it worth while owning a BB and being tapped into this group. Where else can you find valuable information that you were not even looking for?