Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 03-25-2018

Default Another Water Tank Fill - Sporlan Valve Question

I have read through several post, but have not found my issue yet. I can't fill my water tank, not a new problem, but so far this is what I have done.

Hooked up fresh water to city water inlet, turned on water at faucet allowed pressure to build then flipped fill tank switch to on. Nothing happened no water went to the holding tank. As several other threads indicated I then flipped the switch off and on several times and still no water.

I then dissembled the Sporlan valve, the diaphragm appeared flexible, there was nothing clogging the small hole in the diaphragm and there was no build up of calcium or other type of deposits. I reassembled the Sporlan valve and attempted to fill the thank again. No Luck!

I then tested the Sporlan valve with an ohm meter to measure the resistance thinking that the Sporlan was DOA. It measured 13.5 ohms and I am told that this would indicate that the Sporlan is OKAY.

I then went outside the bus to the tank fill switch. I pulled the switch and found 2 wires. So I assumed that in the off position of this switch 1 wire would read 12 v on the volt meter when I touched the end of the wire and ground the meter to the bus. The other wire should read Zero volts as the switch is off. Both wires read nothing what so ever. I disconnected the switch from the wires, cleaned the wire terminals and tested again. Reading on both wire zero volts.

I then pulled out my wiring diagram drawings, found the drawing for this system and found that the wire powering this switch should be connected to the Rear Load Center on the left hand side over the bed. I opened this panel and was lost as I could not easily identify breaker #4. I read another post and saw where someone said the Sporlan is connected via wires 16 & 17. I found that, but it also has wire 18 connected to the same breaker. What is no. 18 for?

So what I need help with is the following.

1). How do I safely check the to see if the wire that is to feed power to the tank fill switch on the outside of the bus is good?

2). How do I test the enclosed circuit breaker and replace it if it is no good?

3). Have overlooked something really obvious? I am new to the Wanderlodge and the systems are a little tricky for the newbie.

Thank you

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1986 Wanderlodge PT 40
"Earl"
Old 03-25-2018
Gardner

Wire 18 goes to the 'water heater protection circuit' (prevents the heater element from turning on if there is no water in the tank)

Use a test light to check both sides of the breaker. One side should be connected to a 12 volt bus, the other side has the three wires on it. Both sides should have 12 volts. They are auto-reset breakers. The wires go to a multi-pin connector that is often the issue. Pins burn or corrode and need to be checked and cleaned/repaired/bypassed as needed.

Using a test light insures the circuit will carry at least some load. A meter does not load the circuit and can read 12 volts through a very poor connection.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-25-2018

Thanks for the information. Used a circuit tester on the bus side and it light up. The breaker began trying to reset itself immediately. The side of the breaker with the wires connected to it does not illuminate the circuit tester. The breaker has cycled about 20 times so far about every 15 seconds. Small spark is visible on the bus side with each reset. I think this means the enclosed circuit breaker is bad. Do I replace this breaker and where would I buy one from?

Thank you

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1986 Wanderlodge PT 40
"Earl"
Old 03-25-2018
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
Thanks for the information. Used a circuit tester on the bus side and it light up. The breaker began trying to reset itself immediately. The side of the breaker with the wires connected to it does not illuminate the circuit tester. The breaker has cycled about 20 times so far about every 15 seconds. Small spark is visible on the bus side with each reset. I think this means the enclosed circuit breaker is bad. Do I replace this breaker and where would I buy one from?

Thank you
If the breaker is tripping and resetting, there is likely a short in the circuit. Disconnect the wires and check each one, You could reconnect one at a time and see which one is tripping the breaker.

After re-reading your post, are you saying the circuit tester is causing the breaker to trip??

The spark indicates the connection is loose or corroded.

Search the net for 12 volt auto reset circuit breaker, lots of places to get them. They use them in boats so a local marine supply should have them as well.
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 03-25-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2018

The circuit tester is not causing the circuit breaker to trip, sorry for the confusion.

I thought I got very lucky because the nuts holding the bus side and the 16,17&18 wires were both lose. Tightened then both and turned the power back on and unfortunately the enclosed breaker begin cycling again.

Removed all three wires and replaced one by one as you suggested. #16 the Brown Sporlan Valve wire is tripping the breaker. # 17 and # 18 are ok. For now I have left 16 disconnected.

You mentioned that the brown wire goes to a pin connector and that it could be corroded, lose or bad in that area. I am not at the Wanderlodge any longer today, but would you please give me some guaidance on where it is located? My wiring diagram shows the wire going from the breaker directly to the fill switch. I know this is not possible as 16 is brown and the wire feeding the switch is yellow with a black stripe.

Thank you again for all your help.

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1986 Wanderlodge PT 40
"Earl"
Old 03-26-2018
Gardner

My diagram shows an 18 pin amphenal connector and wire 17 is on pin #5. I don't know where it is, however, it should be close to the load center. If it is shorted it probably is not the connector. You could tap off the 'blow-out switch 12 volt supply to feed the tank-fill switch and then take your time chasing down the short. You would never use the fill and blowout at the same time anyway, so the load on the wire would be ok. (both switches are in the same bay below the bed so it would be easy-peasy)

I am using diagrams from a 1986 WLPT owners manual (WLPT-Wander Lodge PT) I will look to see if it is in the forum database.

Here it is, see figure 10-6.
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...%2012-6-17.pdf
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 03-26-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2018

Thank you for the manual link. I was able to use it and easily identify the wires connected to the circuit breaker on page 108. Page 107 was a little more confusing for me because it does not show any wires (16,17&18) coming out of the breaker.

I will go back to the bus after work and follow the 3 wires until their end point into the 18 PIN AMP connector.

My fill switch is on the outside of the bus located near the 50A and duel 30A connector points.

My blow out switch is located under the bed on the driver side next to the drain dial and hot water fill switch.

In the meantime. I jumped a small handheld 12v battery to the Sporlan and it fired right up and I was able to fill the tank before my trip this weekend.

Thank you again for all your help

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1986 Wanderlodge PT 40
"Earl"
Old 03-26-2018
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
I will go back to the bus after work and follow the 3 wires until their end point into the 18 PIN AMP connector.

My fill switch is on the outside of the bus located near the 50A and duel 30A connector points.

My blow out switch is located under the bed on the driver side next to the drain dial and hot water fill switch.
The fill switch handle is outside, but the wire connections are inside. I am not near my coach, but they should be close enough to run a wire if you desired.
Ridgewood, New Jersey