Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 15 Hours Ago

Hi Todd,
Excellent!
I tried my engine coolant switch, but didn't have the chassis batteries turned on, so it didn't work and I didn't have a spare moment to turn it on. Mine might be broken, but I suspect the chassis batteries are the source.

I know Van found some matching rocker switches if you are going to add those in-dash. Maybe he can tell us a mfg? Or a WOG search would work via M380 or M450 sections.

I'd like to add one more rocker switch to my panel for an amp on/off. I've been installing bluetooth amps vs. a full head unit to replace my broken radio. Then the phone / iPad becomes the head unit, which works well for driving directions en route, too.
Old 14 Hours Ago

I'm getting close to getting the HH working, but at this point I'm not sure how the engine preheat is wired.

Logically, here's how I would do it:
1) If the HH is on, and the engine coolant is hot, and the HH coolant is colder, I'd turn on the engine preheat pump to use engine waste heat to heat the HH coolant. That could be done automatically with temp sensor and logic regardless of how the engine preheat switch on the dash is set, i.e., even if that switch is off.
2) If the HH is on and the engine preheat switch on the dash is turned on, force the engine preheat pump to turn on. Or better, turn it on only if the engine coolant temp is below that of the HH which allows the user to preheat the engine.

Is it likely that the HH engine preheat switch works like that? IOW, is there an aquastat anywhere that measures engine coolant temp and affects the operation of the engine preheat pump? Or, does the engine preheat switch always turn on the engine preheat pump, and it's left to the user to decide if that's desirable?

Last edited by RVinCT; 13 Hours Ago at 01:59 PM.
Old 14 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
I know Van found some matching rocker switches if you are going to add those in-dash. Maybe he can tell us a mfg? Or a WOG search would work via M380 or M450 sections.

I'd like to add one more rocker switch to my panel for an amp on/off. I've been installing bluetooth amps vs. a full head unit to replace my broken radio. Then the phone / iPad becomes the head unit, which works well for driving directions en route, too.
I've done some research on dash switches by searching here, but some links were broken. I haven't yet found what I need.

I need to add the engine preheat switch, a 12V compressor control switch, and possibly the domestic water heater control. I think someone said that the master HH on/off switch had been mounted on the dash in some installs, but if turning that off when the blower is running is bad, then you need to be at the HH unit before throwing that switch.

My next step is to try to trace the gray wire back to the dash, and buy switches. Let me know if you find a good source.
Old 14 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
P+ is to the boiler pump for hydronic heat. S or S/W is to the Winter / Summer switch.
Can you explain what the summer and winter modes are, where the S/W switch is located and what it does?
Old 11 Hours Ago

BTW, Todd, the green LED on the HH panel is on anytime the HH is powered on, it’s basically a board self check, it doesn’t indicate anything else.
Here’s a pic of my engine preheat switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8067277-8C70-48F4-BAD8-114F758792B8.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	57857  
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 8 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVinCT View Post
Can you explain what the summer and winter modes are, where the S/W switch is located and what it does?
Todd,
If there is call for heat inside the coach (not domestic water switch) from one of the three thermostat zones, the winter / summer valve opens to let heated boiler fluid enter the hydronic heating loops.

See the attached photo. Those loops (after Tee) make their way to the coach and are pressurized by the coolant pump in the forward right pump in the H (looking from the top. You can get to the pump through the side cover.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_39da.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	57858  
Old 6 Hours Ago
Geek

Engine coolant always heats the HH when the engine is running and heat is called for. If you are going down the road and turn the thermostat to "Furnace" the fans in all of the radiators in that zone will come on, and heat will begin to transfer. With all three zones on, the coach can be set to be quite toasty throughout, all from engine heat. It does not require the engine preheat pump to be running, and I don't believe it runs under those circumstances. Circulation is constant from the engine water pump, just as it is for the dash heaters.

When I installed an electric water heater that had engine heat capability I simply ran it in series with the HH. The HH can be completely off and the water heater will be fully hot on arrival, as will the small boiler in the HH.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1